HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
lizm100

Continued hip pain and MRI results.

Hi-

I've been meaning to post but my saga of hip & joint pain continues and I just don't know know how to proceed. Need some advice & input please.

Diagnosis background:
When I was initially diagnosed with stage T1MIC (DCIS with less than 1mm of a microinvation) bc in Febuary 08', my oncologist ordered a baseline CT scan of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis and all was normal. I also had a baseline bone scan which was normal. I have had repeat CT scans a year ago and had my last bone scan in March of 09' for other aches and pains, they were all normal.

This is my worst and latest saga:
For at least 3 months I have had pain in the whole left side of my pelvic area which includes the front hip, back hip, joint & socket, rear end area, upper leg pain the radiates with sensations of pulling, burning, shooting, tingeling, throbbing, to just plain pain. The intensity of the pain varies. At times it feels muscular & at times it feels like the bone, it's so difficult to tell. Motion/activity such as walking & standing relieve the pain, not make it worse. Inactivity such as sitting & especially laying down intensify the pain. I tried physical therapy but the stretches made it worse. I'm taking Zyflamed which is a herbal anti-inflamatory(suggested by my naturalpath) and at times Motrin which only help moderately. The pain started shortly after I started doing yoga (I did hip stretches to open the hips) simutanously I also started working out on a weight machine that require pulling and pushing of weight that work out your back end and hips etc.

I don't believe the pain has gotten worse & may have improved slightly (I think?). I feel like I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm starting to obsess over this now.

A few weeks ago I went to see an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hips. The doctor has ordered x-rays and had an MRI of the pelvis. The X-rays showed a little wear and tear.

The MRI reported stated that "there are small subchondral degerative cysts & bone marrow edema in the superior acetabular rim. Heterongeneous red marrow throughout the pelvis, sacrum & proximal femurs. My doctor told me the type of pain I'm experiencing is not consistent with the findings but wanted to start off with a steroid injection which I had on Dec. 24th & it didn't help the pain.

In addition, having a clean bone scan 6 months b/4 the onset of this pelvic pain; my oncologist feels confident that it's not cancer related but injury related. I am very nervous and the fear of mets is starting to consume me. How good are MRI's at diagnosing mets?

Thank you for reading my post and any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote