HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
kristen8594

Possible start of lymphodema ??

Hello....
I am hoping someone can give me some advice about my arm. Surgery to remove 13 nodes 7 years ago and through that time I have had on and off minor problems with my arm.....tingling ...puffy feeling...heavy sensation...which I am sure are signs of lymphodema. I am currently having those issues again...most likely from shoveling the constant snow we are getting. I do work out with heavy weights almost every day and am very active but that really hasn't been a problem.
My question is should I call the doctor or are there some things I can do.....heat...ice....something????
I do wear a sleeve when it starts to act up but now I wonder if the sleeve is helping.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks....Kristen
1.6 cm her2+++ er/pr +
1/13 node positive
A/C and Taxol Dose dense/8 treatments/ 3 months rads
finished treatments 12/31/03
tamoxifen 5years
Starting late herceptin 5/09
Finished one year herceptin 5/10
Waiting to start Femara
kristen8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
rondo

Re: Possible start of lymphodema ??

Kristen,
GET THEE TO A PHYSICAL THERAPIST pronto who specializes in lymphedema treatment. Ask your oncologist for a referral. Don't delay because the earlier treatment is started the better the outcome. The therapist will do some specific work on you in the office and will also show you home self-care protocols (kind of a daily massage). It only takes a few minutes a day once you know how. I have a protocol I follow daily; it works well and I haven't had to go back to the PT since the initial sessions.
IDC 6 mm l.b. 3/08 age 49; ER <1%+; PR -; KI67 40%; HER2 +++by FISH; lumpectomy/snb 4/08; extensive dcis found at surgery (didn't show in bx or mammo); micromet in sn; MRI breasts and chest 4/08-NED; re-excision l.b. 5/08; refused axillary node dissection; no ca found in re-excision tissue. TCH q 3 wk x 6 finished 10/08; whole breast rad x 7 wk finished 12/08; refused axillary and supraclavicular rad. Herceptin thru 6/09. Refused tamoxifen & aromatase inhibitors.
1/13 so far so good:-) have vestibular hypofunction from chemo but its all good since now officially on borrowed time!
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote