HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
jml

Chronic anemia + sluggish bone marrow = frequent transfusions

Hi Friends~
Would love to hear your opinions, feedback, suggestions...
After all these years on treatment, my bone marrow is just not able to keep up and I'm chronically anemic, especially these past 2 years. So fearful of developing MDS (like Robin Roberts) but I'm not going to borrow problems from tomorrow that I pray never come.

When I was first diagnosed 11 years ago, it was standard to pre-emptively treat with Procrit, then more recently Aranesp, but in the past year & half my cancer center opts for transfusions vs. epo. Apparently their stance is that the risk vs. reward is too great. I can't argue with that.
Fortunately there is no limit to how many transfusions one can have, but it's a pretty arduous process. First you have to get so symptomatic and your H&H have to fall low enough before they'll transfuse. It's such a bummer to know that you have to feel your energy deteriorate and the symptoms increase before you can get to the solution that makes you feel better. In the meantime, as my energy drains away, my house gets messier, dishes go unwashed, dog goes unwalked and the fatigue is impenetrable by naps, sleeping in and lying on the couch all day.

Just wondering if any of you out there have your own experiences to share?

Heading off to have labs drawn to check H&H and cross & type in anticipation of another transfusion, hopefully sooner than later.

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica

Last edited by jml; 05-22-2013 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Chronic anemia + sluggish bone marrow = frequent transfusions

Jessica,

Below is the abstract of an article about the practice in Germany:

Onkologie. 2013;36(5):266-272. Epub 2013 Apr 15.

Treatment of Cancer-Associated Anaemia: Results from a Two-Day Cross-Sectional Survey in Germany.
Link H, Schmitz S.
Source
Klinik für Innere Medizin 1, Westpfalz-Klinikum, Kaiserslautern, Germany.

Abstract
Background: The aim was to re-evaluate the current prevalence and management of cancer-associated anaemia as defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and related risk factors. Patients and Methods: This was a prospective, 2-day web-based cross-sectional survey in cancer patients with non-myeloid malignancies in German outpatient clinics. Results: 89 centres collected data from 3,867 patients, of whom 74% received active cancer therapy. The median age was 65 years (range 19-99 years) and almost two-thirds were women; 68% of the patients had solid tumours (breast 34%, colorectal 17%, lung 8%), with 56% of them being metastatic; 73% had a WHO performance score of ≤ 1. The mean haemoglobin level was 12.0 ± 1.7 g/dl (± standard deviation; range 4.3-17.8 g/dl); the prevalence of levels below 12.0 g/dl was 49%. Two-thirds of these patients were not treated for anaemia; one-third received erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (12.6%), iron therapy (8.1%), transfusions (7.5%) or combinations thereof (8.0%) during the 4 weeks before evaluation. Chemotherapy, female sex, age and poor performance status were identified as significant anaemia-associated factors. Conclusions: The prevalence of untreated anaemia and the decreased performance status of cancer patients in Germany have hardly changed since the European Cancer Anaemia Survey (ECAS) in 2001. The treatment practice may not only be driven by guidelines and does not yet reflect new concepts of anaemia management.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Jessica,

I guess I don't understand why the cancer center feels the risks are greater with Aranesp than with blood infusions.

Have you tried taking liquid chlorophyll and having a lot of dark green leafy vegetables in your diet? It might make a small difference that would add some more QOL. If you add these it would be best to add something that would also thin the blood. I guess the cancer center wouldn't be as enthusiastic about the addition of more red wine . . .

I have heard exercise helps with blood counts. I know it sounds crazy because you are so tired. Maybe a little walk would help?

I've seen this with anemia before and am so sorry about the terrible fatigue.

May every sleep be restful, and may you find a solution to this anemia soon.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
NanaJoni

Jessica - I had the problems with anemia during chemo and ended up getting transfusions of two units of packed red cells 6 different times. After I stopped chemo, the anemia stayed and was diagnosed as pernicious anemia - now I take Vit. B-12 shots monthly and it stays pretty much okay. Have your docs checked for that as well? (Can't believe they haven't but sometimes it gets missed?) My hospital has a special unit for doing the transfusions and it streamlines the check-in process and I was usually in and out in 3 hrs.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: Chronic anemia + sluggish bone marrow = frequent transfusions

The B 12 and healthy leafy veggies are good choices. However I wonder if liquid iron from the pharmacy would also help. Try doing an internet search on foods for a healthy bone marrow and see what you come up with. You might also want to visit a naturopathic physician or practioner of Chinese medicine if they are available in your area. They might be able to offer other suggestions.
This link might be useful.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...n-bone-marrow/

Does your insurance pay for part time caregivers or home health care? They might be able to provide someone to help you with the housework and cooking.
Hang in there. We are cheering for you.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 05-22-2013 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: addition
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
dchips1

Venofer IV, is something I see being given to those with chronic anemia?

Good luck and prayers of healing and good energy coming your way

Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Jessica

Are you being monitored for ferritin counts with the increased blood transfusions? I don't know about the addition of iron, transfusions can lead to iron overload. I love the suggestion of B12.

Venofer IV is iron sucrose. it would help if you are iron deficient which may or may not be the case with your anemia.

I think at this point you deserve some pampering. Where is Cleaning for a Reason? Can you get help with meals and such? maybe a neighbor or friend to walk the dog?

I also liked the suggestion of acupuncture and the naturopath.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
yanyan

I had to be on iron supplement due to extremly low hemoglobin. that solved the problem. Phil posted taking shark liver oil helps to boost white cells, that may help too.
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote