HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
Estelle

8 Years

It has been a while since I have visited this site, but I wanted all of my sisters to know that as of today, I am 8 years NED. I count from the day of my surgery, since despite having 10 positive nodes, my scans were negative, so once the surgery was completed -- no detectable cancer left in me. I consider myself a CONQUEROR, not a survivor, because, despite the negative scans, with 10 nodes, I wasn't taking any chances, so I waged war: a double MX, AC, Taxol, radiation and Herceptin. I tried tykerb,(in the ALTTO study) but it was toxic for me and I was taken off after 6 weeks and given a full year of herceptin. I also participated in a vaccine trial. Last year, I had DEIP flap reconstruction, and I am very happy with that decision. I have walked in the 3-day once, and the Avon walk four times, and have signed up to do this again this year. I have mild lymphedema, and permanent moderate neuropathy in my hands and feet from taxol. I tried several treatments for the neuropathy, but nothing really helped; then I "accepted" the new normal and just got on with life. Since finishing treatment, I have retired, travelled the world, lost 70 pounds, taken up ballroom dancing, do volunteer work and I LIVE every day!!! I actually have a better life than before my diagnosis! So to all who are battling -- fight the fight! It can be hard - but you can get through it. When I received my path report, I did not think I'd see this day, yet here I am. Be encouraged. Be patient. Be positive. Persevere.
lumpectomy 2/09
10 positive nodes; scans show no further metastasis, Stage IIIc
AC completed 5/09
Tykerb/Taxol (trial) 6/09, terminated from trial (due to bad reaction to Tykerb) 8/09; switched to Herceptin/Taxol
Taxol finished 10/09
Bilateral mastectomy 11/09
Radiation 12/09 to 1/10
Herceptin finished 7/10
NED
Start Vaccine Trial at Hopkins 2/11
Finished Vaccine Trial 11/11
Continue NED
Port Out 11/11
DEIP Flap 4/17)
8 Years NED 2/17
Estelle is offline   Reply With Quote