HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Sheryl H

Tests for your heart before chemo?

I've had my second chemo treatment of A/C. The first one went really pretty well, other than being very tired and sleeping a bunch, some heartburn, not too bad, and constipation, which finally got better. The second one, not so well. I just feel lousy. Anyway, my question is, I asked my doctor since I've read that A/C can be hard on your heart if I needed any type of scan. He said since I didn't have any indication of heart disease and was otherwise healthy, it wasn't necessary. I thought maybe I needed something before starting chemo to have a baseline. Did any of you have any type of test for your heart, and if so, what and when?
Sheryl H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Audrey

Hi Sheryl, sorry to hear you're feeling lousy after chemo. Make sure to drink lots of water before and after your treatment, so you don't get dehydrated. I did have a baseline test for my heart function, something called an echo-which is like an ultrasound of the heart (painless and fascinating). I thought this test (or the alternative, called a MUGA) was standard for all patients prior to starting A/C, since it can be heart toxic. I'm surprised your doctor did not test you--I would speak up and ask for one or else get a second opinion. I'm pretty certain you will hear from other women on this board who will tell you they had their heart function tests prior to A/C. Best of luck to you with your remaining treatments.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Hugs Sheryl,

I ditto what Audrey said and drink LOTS AND LOTS of water. I kind of overdosed on water the 24 hours prior to a chemo treatment. I also drank water contnually before the treatment, (while I waited in the wiating area for chemo to begin) and drank it throughout the treatment and REALLY drank it afterwards and the next day. I pictured the "nasty's" from the chemo being flushed right out of me. I handled chemo pretty well and often wonder if all the water I drank helped.

Also, yes, I did have my heart checked before chemo begain. They did an echocardiogram on me prior to ever beginning chemo. I also did the A/C and Taxol. I started herceptin with taxol and by my 4th treatment of herceptin my onc. ordered a MUGA. That was the last one I had.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28

Last edited by Mary Jo; 04-16-2007 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelled Sheryl's name wrong
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
caya

Hi Sheryl,

I had a MUGA scan before chemo - although I am on FEC- T (Taxotere), a different chemo than you. My onc. says I will have another MUGA befoe I start Herceptin, and then I will get a few MUGAs during the year long Herceptin treatment.
I agree with the other gals, you should definitely get some kind of heart scan - either a MUGA or I believe an ECHO ( short for echocardiagram?).

All the best
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
suzan w

I also had a MUGA scan before I started A/C. I had terrible side effects from the A/C...and only did 4 treatments instead of 6. My heart, yay, stayed strong through everything! And now, those bad side effects are but a distant memory. Good luck to you!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
juanita

I had a muga scan before I started chemo. And I agree, drink lots of water. You will have problems down the road if you don't
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Chelee

I had to have a ECHO before starting chemo also. They want to make sure your ok to start...plus it gives them a baseline to go by. I really don't understand why your onc wouldn't want you to have a ECHO or MUGA before starting AC? I would nicely push the issue and tell your onc you would feel more comfortable if you had an ECHO. I'm glad your doing ok and hanging in there during your AC. Just think...that's two done and out of the way. Sending positive thoughts.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
Susan McQ

My surgeon ordered my Muga before I ever saw my oncologist. The oncology nurse looked up my results before giving me my first A/C. She said she wouldn't have given me any if the results were low.

I've had 4 since I've been on herceptin. Last November, my ejection fraction was 65%, in February it was 49%, and in March 47%. I was told 50% was the low end of normal. Mine is decreasing because of the herceptin.

I had no indications of heart disease either. I was diagnosed when I was 39. As it was suggestion, politely ask for an echo or a muga. My understanding is that echo's are a little less invasive.
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote