HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
cheery

Radiation generates BC stem cells?

Read this on another forum..I'm very alarmed by the research and the comment that we should still continue with radiation treatment..any thoughts on this, thanks

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...east+Cancer%29
cheery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Radiation generates BC stem cells?

This abstract seems to give some clarification:

Oncogene. 2012 Feb 13. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.31. [Epub ahead of print]
CD24(-/low) stem-like breast cancer marker defines the radiation-resistant cells involved in memorization and transmission of radiation-induced genomic instability.

Bensimon J, Altmeyer-Morel S, Benjelloun H, Chevillard S, Lebeau J.
Source

CEA, DSV, iRCM, SREIT, Laboratoire de Cancérologie Expérimentale (LCE), Fontenay-aux-Roses, France.

Abstract

A growing body of evidence attributes properties of chemo- and/or radiation-resistance to cancer stem cells (CSCs). Moreover, non-targeted delayed effects such as genomic instability, transmitted through many generations, can be observed in the progeny of surviving irradiated cells. As a consequence, we propose that radiation-resistance properties associated to CSCs could confer a key role to this subpopulation in the transmission of genomic instability. To test this hypothesis, we searched the CSC markers associated to radiation-resistance in breast cancer cell lines and studied the role of the resistant cells in the transmission of genomic instability.

First, we show that irradiation induces a 2-4 weeks period of intense cell death leading to the emergence of chromosomal unstable cells during more than 35 population doublings. Then, among seven breast CSC markers, we identify CD24(-/low) labelling as a marker of radiation-resistance. We demonstrate that CD24(+) progeny of irradiated cells exclusively descends from CD24(-/low) cells. Finally, we show that delayed chromosomal instability is only expressed by CD24(+) cells, but is transmitted by stable surviving CD24(-/low) cells.

So, for the first time a CSC marker, CD24, is associated with the transmission of genomic instability. This work may assign a new deleterious role to breast CSCs in aggressive recurrence after radiotherapy, as the transmitted genomic instability potentially leads tumour cells to acquire more aggressive characteristics.

Oncogene advance online publication, 13 February 2012; doi:10.1038/onc.2012.31.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
sarah

wow! first it's good for you, then it's deadly, then it depends!!! Thanks for posting it because I always believe it's best to know the consequences of all our decisions even when it's confusing. I'm not posting this on my support group here because some people might freak out.
Look due to strong radiation I had to combat invasive cancer, I have a fibroid in my lung and now a blocked artery that requires angioplasty and a stent - did I ever hear about these possiblities? no and they are probably rare so....would I have chosen not to have radiation? no. but growing cancer while trying to fight it, is disturbing. Can we trust Kansas? or do we wait for Sloan Kettering or Anderson or UCLA or ? Glad radiation is behind me.
I didn't notice percentages, did I miss that? When I was first diagnosed I chose to do that which would give me a 95% chance of no recurrence! guess what happened??? I fell into the 5%! but still you have to play the percentages which is what docs have to do all the time and sometimes it's wrong.
however for us HER2ers, an article on the same page seems encouraging:

Science News

... from universities, journals, and other research organizations

Save Email Print Share

Herceptin Targets Breast Cancer Stem Cells

ScienceDaily (July 9, 2008) — A gene that is overexpressed in 20 percent of breast cancers increases the number of cancer stem cells, the cells that fuel a tumor’s growth and spread, according to a new study from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The gene, HER2, causes cancer stem cells to multiply and spread, explaining why HER2 has been linked to a more aggressive type of breast cancer and to metastatic disease, in which the cancer has spread beyond the breast, the researchers say.
Further, the drug Herceptin, which is used to treat HER2-positive breast cancer, was found to target and destroy the cancer stem cells. “This work suggests that the reason drugs that target HER2, such as Herceptin and Lapatanib, are so effective in breast cancer is that they target the cancer stem cell population. This finding provides further evidence for the cancer stem cell hypothesis,” says study author Max S. Wicha, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Oncology and director of the U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The cancer stem cell hypothesis says that tumors originate in a small number of cells, called cancer stem cells, and that these cells are responsible for fueling a tumor’s growth. These cells represent fewer than 5 percent of the cells in a tumor. Wicha’s lab was part of the team that first identified stem cells in human breast cancer in 2003.
In the current study, researchers found that breast cancer cells overexpressing the HER2 gene had four to five times more cancer stem cells, compared to HER2-negative cancers. In addition, the HER2-positive cells caused the cancer stem cells to invade surrounding tissue, suggesting that HER2 is driving the invasiveness and spread of cancer.
The researchers then looked at the drug Herceptin, which is used to treat HER2-positive breast cancer. They found Herceptin reduced the number of cancer stem cells in the HER2-positive breast cancer cell lines by 80 percent, dropping it to the same levels seen in HER2-negative cell lines.
When HER2 was not overexpressed in the cell cultures, the researchers found, the cancer stem cell population did not increase. Nor did Herceptin have any effect on the HER2-negative cells, which is consistent with how Herceptin is used in the clinic.
“We are now studying what pathways are activated by HER2 overexpression. Our hope is that we could develop inhibitors of these pathways that might be effective in targeting cancer stem cells in women whose tumors do not overexpress HER2 or those who are resistant to Herceptin,” says study author Hasan Korkaya, Ph.D., a U-M research fellow in internal medicine.
Breast cancer statistics: 184,450 Americans will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and 40,930 will die from the disease, according to the American Cancer Society. About 20 percent of breast cancers are considered HER2-positive.
Additional authors: Amanda K. Paulson, a U-M undergraduate student, and Flora Iovino, a U-M research fellow in internal medicine.
Funding: National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute at the U-M Medical School.
Recommend this story on Facebook, Twitter,
and Google +1:
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
cheery

Thanks ladies.

Jackie, this article did give me a better understanding on the angle of the study. Hopefully it'll help with future target therapy.

Sarah, phew, thanks for the balancing news. I'd read this 2008 research earlier but was so taken aback by this latest one that I'd totally forgotten about it
cheery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
sarah

Hello Cheery,
we're already confused about what to eat or not!
Health and happiness
sarah