HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
valleygirl

pain with implant and expander

Hello Friends,

My new problem.......
Had my first chemo treatment on Wednesday. I was ok till Thursday evening when I started to feel nausea. By Friday I wasn't able to lift my head I was so ill. II wasn't able to eat anything till Saturday night, an apple. My husband called my doctor and got some new meds,Lord I hope they work next time. Ok, on to my problem, I had a double mastectomy. They place an implant on my left side and an expander on my right. This was done on 1/26 and I'm still in pain. I can't lift my arms, can't dress with out help or comb my hair. The pain is across my chest and down my arms. My right arm is the worst. I am on pain meds that help some. I have a appointment with my PS this Thursday, I want the implant and expander out. I was so hoping to get back to work and just feel normal. I feel like I can't while in so much pain. My husband said what would even make me feel better was fine with him. I was wondering if any of you had the same pain and what you did. It seems from what I read most of you have had reconstructive surgery. If you had this pain how long did it last and could you move your arms? Thanks for listening
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Pray

Re: pain with implant and expander

I had an expander and the pain was awful. It was however so worth it! It was bad for me through the fillings I asked them to use the smallest amount. it took longer and I'm sure that is why the pain lasted longer. I too could not lift my arm for a very long time. I did not have to work though. It will be better for you with having a double it will be so much easier I think for your surgeon to make them even. I have had four surgerys and it is still totally noticeable how lopsided I am and very hard to hide. Gods blessings to you, I do hope the pain subsides soon.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
snolan

I would ask your PS for a physical therapy referral. It is very important to keep moving your arm to reduce the scar tissue adhesions, but they can also address pain control through modalities. Make sure it is a clinic that has a therapist that specializes in women's issues, ie breast cancer, lymphadema etc.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Pray

I should have mentioned I also had physical therapist who specialized in the mast., expander and implant field. I saw her in my lymph. dr. office so i guess she also worked with lymph. witch I have not had.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
chekmark

I had an expander placed on Dec 9th. The pain the first 8 to 10 days was pretty bad. I had limited mobility to my arm for about a month or so. I would try to move it as much as possible. The pain subsided immensely after about 10 days but during the fills I would be uncomfortable for that day and would have some rib pain. I have complete mobility of my arm now but have pain on my arm which I hope is from the fills and the added pressure. Kinda wish I had a heads up on the pain I was going to experience but if I had to do to it again I would, it is starting to look really good and I have regained my self esteem back. I think what you are experiencing is normal and it does get better. I cant want to get the expander out either but it has gotten alot more tolerable in the past month. Hang in there. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
chemteach

Yep, hang in there! I had expanders placed at the time of my mastectomy last August. I don't recall a great deal of pain other than the mastectomy recovery. The expansion was fine, but the expanders are awkward. My zumba class has helped so much with stretching and getting rid of the cording and increasing my mobility. We don't seem to have many physical therapists around here, so I am very thankful for that zumba instructor. I look forward to them coming out next week. I hope that recovery is brief. It's all baby steps, one at a time. Sorry the chemo is so hard. Take the meds, and remember it will be behind you soon. It will get better.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
chekmark

Just wanted to add that I was told that the pain was most likely from the sling that is placed to hold the expander. It is attached to the muscle. I had no pain at all from the mastectomy. I hope you feel better soon and that chemo gets easier. Soon it will all be over.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote