HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
LOPSIDED

JOINT PAIN & BODY ACHES AFTER CHEMO

I HAD 4 TREATMENTS OF A/C, SURGERY, 12 WKLY TAXOTERE PLUS SHOTS OF NEULASTA & NEUPIGIN AND DURING ALL OF THIS I FELT OKAY AS FAR AS BONE PAIN AND BODY ACHES. NOW THAT I'M THRU THIS AND I'M DOING RADIATION---I HURT ALL OVER. I'M SO STIFF AND MY STRENGTH IS MUCH LESS THAN 1 MONTH AGO. MY BONES FEEL FUNNY. NOW, I'M NOT HURTING TO THE POINT I NEED MEDICATION. I MIGHT TAKE A MOTRIN ONCE IN AWHILE, BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW DIFFERENT MY BODY FEELS WITHIN JUST A FEW WEEKS. I'M ONLY 41 AND FEEL ABOUT 80. DO YOU THINK ITS NORMAL TO HAVE THE BODY ACHES AFTER THE CHEMO? I HAVE GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT AND MAYBE THATS WHY MY JOINTS ARE HURTING. I KEEP TELLING MYSELF I'LL GET THIS WEIGHT OFF BUT HERE I AM A FEW MONTHS LATER AND I WEIGH MORE THAN I EVER HAVE IN MY LIFE.
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
kristen

Hi Lopsided,

I hurt toward the end of my chemo, which was 6 tx of TCH and it kept hurting for a long time. I know Taxotere is a rough one for some of us with the aches. I had to take some pain pills. They even ran a bone scan, I hurt so bad. I think it's the accumalation of it all. I also gained a lot of weight, over 25#. I hadn't ever weighed that much except when I was pregnant.
I think we all experience it differently. For instance I didn't loose my eyelashes until 2 months after I was finsihed with chemo. As the saying goes, listen to your body, if it hurts in one place specifically for more then 2 weeks and tylenol or motrin doesn't do the trick get it checked out. My onc. told me if it was bone mets it would keep hurting and those pain relievers wouldn't work. Hope this helps.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Mgarr

Good morning lopsided. I am 40 and currently on Herceptin every 3 weeks after 4 A/C 4 Taxol at dose dense. I have awful muscle pains & achiness in my legs mentioned this to onc., chemo nurse and o.b. There is no real consensus but they believe it is part Herceptin part menopause and it should lessen after Herceptin ends. I too take Motrin it does help and I keep walking even it is it for short periods many times a day. Keep your chin up spring is here!

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
tousled1

I am currently getting taxatore - 2 more rounds to go. I experience severe bone/joint pain. I notice that you are receivng neupogen shots. My first round of chemo (A/C) I received the neupogen shots and the bone/joint pain was so bad that I was in tears. The pain was so bad that I could not function. Had to go to my pain management doctor and he prescribed morphine sul which helped.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
tricia keegan

I was fine all through chemo more or less and did'nt put on any weight but since I finished in Feb I never felt so bad.Aches and muscle pains mostly.I had really bad backache and went to see the Dr today convinced it was a kidney infection.He said I had'nt and it may still be the Taxol leaving my body.I am going to take up walking again next week when rads finish as I've heard that helps.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
dberg

Lopsided,

About halfway through rads I noticed a definite achiness ALL OVER!! I think it is just a culmination of everything you have had, especially the neupogen and taxol. (Throw rads in there too!!) I started tamoxifen about a month after rads and the good news is it does get better. The old lady feeling went away and I really turned the corner about 5 months after rads were over.

I started on Fosamax a couple of months ago and am going through the whole thing all over again. My pharmacist friend says my body will adjust to it too...just give it time.

I'm lopsided too!
Diane
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
LOPSIDED

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING. I GET SO MUCH COMFORT FROM THIS WEBSITE. I'M IN THAT PHASE WHERE EVERYTIME I FEEL A PAIN OR ANY KIND OF DISCOMFORT MY MIND STARTS WONDERING IF IT HAS SPREAD. I JUST WANT TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN. TODAY IS A BETTER DAY---NOT AS MANY ACHES & PAINS. I HAVE WENT BACK TO WORK AND I ONLY HAVE 12 MORE RADIATION TREATMENTS TO GO. HERE I COME HERCEPTIN ON MAY 16.
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: JOINT PAIN & BODY ACHES AFTER CHEMO

Hi there. It's such a relief to see that I am nit the only one suffering aches after Chemo. It's so depressing because, as you have all mentioned, you finish Chemo and think you are going to feel better then all of a sudden you feel worse. And I only realized yesterday that my eyebrow and eyelashes have fallen out... And it's two months later. I was so excited that my hair was growing back I didn't notice until someone pointed it out. I actuAlly told them them they were wrong and got a rude shock when I went to put mascara ion!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
tea

Red face Re: JOINT PAIN & BODY ACHES AFTER CHEMO

I have the same exact thing going on! However mine has been a bit longer and the pain has actually built. So as time has gone on the pain has gotten worse. My pain is worse in the morning or when i have been sitting and go to move. It hurts for a bit and then subsides to a standable amount.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
tea

Smile Re: JOINT PAIN & BODY ACHES AFTER CHEMO

I stumbled on this site while I was looking up body pain after chemo. Like everyone else is was such a relief when I started reading some of the posts. I'm not alone.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
tea

Re: JOINT PAIN & BODY ACHES AFTER CHEMO

LOL everyone says lopsided, I'm just flat, so maybe instead of flopsy you can call me flatsy!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Kmswilson

I'm glad to hear radiation can make you feel rough. I just finished 13 WBR treatments, and I'm still warning from the steroids, and I feel terrible. Meanwhile I've had to stop the chemo during the rads, and I'm terrified of every ache and pain that this has been spreading while I've been off the chemo for 6 weeks. Even though we saw regression in my liver and stability elsewhere when they found the brain mets, I'm terrified it's been running rampant while doing the radiation. Anyway, my neuropathy in my feet seems to be worse, and my feet and legs feel weak. And I am so off-kilter...dizzy and fuzzy, almost like the chemo fog. I hobble around feeling like I'm 90. Anyway, not much point to my post, just glad to hear I'm not alone!
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
12/11 - liver progression; begin AC, drop Herceptin;
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
5/2012- brain MRI shows all lesions gone except 1, 2mm shrinking!
Kmswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
tricia keegan

Hi Krissi and I'm sorry you feel so rough but think its to be accepted after WBR and some of the ladies here who had it said the same so you're not alone.
Lyricia can be helpful for neuropathy and although the side effects put me off if its bad enough you may want to try it!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote