HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Alyce

Angry blood in stool

Another bout of anxiety! I have really had a hard time with anxiety and medical treatments. Finished Chemo, radiation, almost done with Herceptin. Last month found out I had a high blood pressure reading and had to have a MUGA which turned out fine. Saw the Cardiologist this AM and he is not worried thinking my blood pressure is related to anxiety issues.
Next- I have noticed a little blood in my stool the last 2 days. I am totally bummed out thinking"What is next?"
I don't see the Dr. until Feb.24 so I am now thinking the worst and trying not to obsess. any of you have this symptom? Can it be from Chemo? let me know if you have any words of wisdom as I really hate to keep thinking about it. When I called the Dr, the nurse said that if the stool becomes tarry go to the ER. That really scares me.
I have been having so much help from massage, swimming, reiki and meditation. I wish I had more "tools" though to deal with these sudden onsets of medical possibilities.
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
sarah

Alyce
I'd go to your doctor immediately. it's probably jsut constipation from the chemo but if it's something more serious, better early than too late so don't put it off. Why wait for it to get tarry??? Have it checked out so you can relax about it.
keep getting those massages, life will get calmer.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Shobha

Alyce,

I had blood in my stools during chemo. It was just a side effect. Also, if there are hemorroids, they too can bleed due to chemo or diet. Please do have it checked for peace of mind. I have a strong feeling it is nothing serious.

love,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Jean

Alyce,
Why should you suffer? No need, make an appointment and have the doctor check. An exam will tell you right away if hemorroids and a stool sample can be taken to check further.

I would not wait until the 24th, unless the blood in the stool stopped!

Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 02-06-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Jackie07

Jean is right. There's no reason to wait. Can you call your medical provider and get it checked out?

I had a similar situation early January. I called my doctor's office and told them about the bleeding - they got me an appointment with a nurse practitioner the same day. She checked it and confirmed it was caused by hemorroids.

Looking back, I realized it was probably caused by the food I ate - hubby's friend was visiting and brought us some very dry, very hard beef jerky. But my goodness, talking about 'scary'!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
ElaineM

Wink blood in stool

Have you had a hemmoccult test? It is a very simple
one day stool test that can be done at home. Your docs office might even have one for you to take home and do.
After you have made the "donation" according to the directions in the test you either mail it to a lab or bring it back to your docs office so they can send it to the lab.
You can also have a nurse or doc check for hemmroids.
If anything suspicious shows up from the exam or hemmoccult test they can send you for futher testing.
There is another stool test available called a CDSA 2.0, but that is a 3 day test.
May foods can affect the stool too. Have you eaten beets lately?
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Debbie L.

You sound really worried, Alyce. If you're still as worried as you sound, you should get it checked out for your peace of mind. But it's unlikely to be anything serious.

If you can see red blood, it's something near the outlet. Almost always hemorrhoids or a fissure. And the answer to your "has anybody else had this symptom" is an overwhelming "yes", and not just from people diagnosed with cancer. But it still should be checked out if it persists.

Hemocult is to check when there's no obvious bleeding. If you can see the blood, you know the hemocult will be positive so it's a moot point.

How old are you? Maybe this will be your ticket to get that colonoscopy done. But more likely, the provider will see something visually, reassure you that it will heal, and that will be that. A GI doc told me that fissures (basically, cracks or tears) are far more common than hemorrhoids although most people attribute any rectal symptoms to hemorrhoids.

Let us know how it goes, okay. How are you now?
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
karen z

Re: blood in stool

I agree with Jean and think her advice is very sound.
k
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote