HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Lani

new trial featuring anti-her2 vaccine plus lapatinib (phase I published)

J Transl Med. 2012 Feb 10;10(1):28. [Epub ahead of print]
Phase I clinical trial of HER2-specific immunotherapy with concomitant HER2 kinase inhibtion.
Hamilton E, Blackwell K, Hobeika AC, Clay TM, Broadwater G, Ren XR, Chen W, Castro H, Lehmann F, Spector N, Wei J, Osada T, Lyerly HK, Morse MA.
Abstract
ABSTRACT:
BACKGROUND:
Patients with HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer, despite initially benefiting from the monoclonal antibody trastuzumab and the EGFR/HER2 tyrosine kinase inhibitor lapatinib, will eventually have progressive disease. HER2-based vaccines induce polyclonal antibody responses against HER2 that demonstrate enhanced anti-tumor activity when combined with lapatinib in murine models. We wished to test the clinical safety, immunogenicity, and activity of a HER2-based cancer vaccine, when combined with lapatinib.
METHODS:
We immunized women (n = 12) with metastatic, trastuzumab-refractory, HER2-overexpressing breast cancer with dHER2, a recombinant protein consisting of extracellular domain (ECD) and a portion of the intracellular domain (ICD) of HER2 combined with the adjuvant AS15, containing MPL, QS21, CpG and liposome. Lapatinib (1250 mg/day) was administered concurrently. Peripheral blood antibody and T cell responses were measured.
RESULTS:
This regimen was well tolerated, with no cardiotoxicity. Anti-HER2-specific antibody was induced in all patients whereas HER2-specific T cells were detected in one patient. Preliminary analyses of patient serum demonstrated downstream signaling inhibition in HER2 expressing tumor cells. The median time to progression was 55 days, with the majority of patients progressing prior to induction of peak anti-HER2 immune responses; however, 300-day overall survival was 92% (95% CI: 77-100%).
CONCLUSIONS:
dHER2 combined with lapatinib was safe and immunogenic with promising long term survival in those with HER2-overexpressing breast cancers refractory to trastuzumab. Further studies to define the anticancer activity of the antibodies induced by HER2 vaccines along with lapatinib are underway. Trial registry ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00952692.
PMID: 22325452 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] Free full text
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Rich66

Re: new trial featuring anti-her2 vaccine plus lapatinib (phase I published)

Quote:
The median time to progression was 55 days, with the majority of patients progressing prior to induction of peak anti-HER2 immune responses
Looks like another situation where the typical RECIST criteria might be jumping the gun.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
bejuce

Hum? What do you mean Rich?

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Rich66

There has been more than one instance with immune/biological therapies ( I think one was in PCa) where early progression doesn't necessarily mean benefit, even overall survival (OS), won't accrue later. In the study above, calling "progression" before the measured immune response peaks seems premature. Seems telling they follow with
Quote:
however, 300-day overall survival was 92%
I suspect once progression (according to RECIST criteria) was called, the therapy was discontinued. The issue of continue benefit of Herceptin past progression seems likely related.
There are even instances with non-traditional therapies where tumors have internal necrosis with fluid build up that can actually increase the radiologic (CT) size while it is dying. I'm not clear on whether PET can fully escape that issue.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote