HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
valleygirl

how do you deal with friends who aviod you?

How do you deal with your friends who avoid you? I'd say 96% have been very distant. Some have been my friend since childhood. I have some coworkers that I think of as family, who I've worked with for over twenty years. I'm not sure how to deal with this.
I'll text and won't get a text back, I think phone calls have been avoided and once I do get a hold of them I can tell they're not comfortable
talking about what I'm going through. I have tried to just keep the conversation light and up beat, but there always seems to be a monkey in the room.
Even on facebook no one seems to response to my posts. earlier tonight I asked friends to join me for our local Relay for Life, asked them to message
me if they were interested, No messages. My husband suggested that I just invite some over for dinner, he thinks they may be more comfortable
talking in person. I'm not comfortable with that because I'm not comfortable with how I look in tops. If I do go anywhere I leave my coat on. I had a
double mastectomy, have a implant on one side and an expander in the other, but find it very noticeable. I'm still in some pain and wearing a bra
is painful. I know I've been very emotional lately and having a hard time turning it off. I only know one other woman who has had breast cancer but
she lives 1000s of miles away and don't know her very well. How do you deal with friends?
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
SoCalGal

Re: how do you deal with friends who aviod you?

I would suggest that you find a breast cancer support group. That will help you get more comfortable with yourself and as a result your friends will be more comfortable with you.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
chemteach

No one knows what to say or how to act. They are nervous and uncomfortable because it is a life threatening event. My friends were somewhat distant too until I started to talk about this whole process to them, and then the dialogue started. They will ask questions. I answered honestly and completely and was very open about all that I have gone through. Some want to know what it's like. Some what to know what your chest looks like, about the scars, the expanders, the new boobs and so on. Let them ask and show them whatever you are comfortable with. I am glad to share my experience with whoever asks because ignorance and fear can be lessened with someone who is in it. I have not changed as a person, but my body has, and true friends know that. Relax and let them know you're still who you are. I cannot be militant or overbearing about this disease, but I will offer my opinion when asked. People are people.....they can't help it.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Debbie L.

Dear VG:

I don't have answers for you but I can tell you that all of this is very normal. First of all, you're in that extra-vulnerable time that happens to most of us, as treatment ends and the body begins to heal. It seems like the things that have been shoved into "hold" mode, as we used everything we had to get thru treatment -- those fears and emotions and doubts and vulnerability can see it's their time to emerge, that it's time for us to deal with them -- and all at once like that, it can hit us hard. I don't think there's a magic way to get thru except just to keep slugging on and know it will improve eventually, but it can help to know that it's normal and common, and that many others have had the same issues.

As for friends, as chemteach said so well, people are people, and they are scared, even terrified, of cancer. I think it's in part that our society is so death-phobic. Even though most people do know that everyone with cancer does not die -- there's still tremendous fear around cancer. So for those who've dropped off the radar, you have several options. You can write them off as not-really-your-friends, and move on. Or you can reserve judgment and leave room to let them back in, if they eventually get their act together and want to be close again. That's a personal decision. But I have heard lots of women say (later on) that their cancer diagnosis actually strengthened their network of friends, because it weeded out the ones who were not real friends, while deepening other friendships and opening opportunities for special new friendships.

About the appearance of the chest -- I assure you that although to you right now, your appearance feels extremely weird and obvious -- no one else is noticing! Again, there is no magic answer that will fix this for you instantly, but again -- time (and some more physical healing) will fix it. Eventually you will come to accept that what's on your chest is just you. You may not be thrilled with it (although we hope you are), but regardless, it will stop feeling so obvious to you. You will stop being constantly aware of how you think it looks. Honest!

This is a time to be oh-so-gentle with yourself. And as patient as you can be. This all takes time (alas). Those around you may want you to begin moving on, but we know that it takes time for that to happen, and if you need to hear, again, that you are totally normal and your feelings are common and understood by all of us here -- come back and talk about it some more. I think that face-to-face breast cancer friends are great, but in today's connected world -- they are not essential. If you have an online support system who understand and nod heads when reading what you're expressing -- you'll be much more able to let those friends be more distant, and those family members be less understanding (than they were during the acute phase of treatment). While you're being gentle with yourself, try to spread some of that around for the other people in your life, too, even the ones that are hurting you right now. Their bad behavior is not directed at YOU, it comes from their fear. Which doesn't necessarily make it less hurtful to you right now, I know. Like I said -- no answers, but lots of understanding.

Keep talking, let us know what you think about what we've said, okay?

Love,
Debbie Laxague
PS: If you can do without the support, the ultra-lightweight "barely there" types of seamless bras are the most comfortable if you're still healing.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: how do you deal with friends who aviod you?

You may be dealing with other people's fears about cancer. Just the word cancer scares alot of people.
I say just ignore them and make new friends.
I learned something from a co-worker who died of breast cancer 2 months before I was diagnosed.
Most co-workers ignored her or were overly sweet to her. I just treated her like I always did. We talked about whatever she was in the mood to talk about or professional things going on. We enjoyed a nice friendship until the week before she died when she became unconscious and couldn't talk anymore.
I did not tell most of my friends and relatives when I was diagnosed. I only told a few friends and relatives who I knew could handle my health problems and swore them to secrecy. Most people I know still do not know about my health problems 13 years later. I can be more effective in my various interests and projects, because everybody treats me normally. This method may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
Hold your head high and keep going. Don't worry about other people's fears so much.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
sarah

Hello,
Sorry to hear this but we've all gone through this. I agree about joining a support group, it will help you realize you're not alone and many others are going through the same thing. In our group besides this problem, some have seen their husbands/partners/caregivers give up.
May I suggest that you send those friends you would really like to have back in your life, (cut the rest- good riddance) send them a joke or cartoon not about cancer just anything and say "hey let's be in touch and please let's not talk about cancer."
It's not odd, after my relapse I emailed my brother - yes BROTHER and no answer, no call, nothing! so I emailed him and misquoted Mark Twain's famous line (after an obituary appeared for him!) "the rumors of my death have been greated exaggerated!" my brother called immediately!!! I didn't berate him and we talk about all kinds of stuff.
Read, watch movies, do what you enjoy and things will get better.
There's a wonderful post on this site about what to say to someone with cancer, not sure if you'd want to send it on but it's true so many people don't have a clue what to say and are scared. I had one friend who I thought was intelligent! ask me if it was catching!!! I fell over laughing but.....I actually thought she was brave (since she thought that) to come over and hug me!!!
You're at one of the hardest stages, it gets better and you'll find new, better, more understanding friends. Also caregivers need support too.
Our small support group where I live is wonderful and we have a great time and we're like a crazy family and we care so much about each other. This site also is a great support group.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
valleygirl

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to look into a support group in my area. I do understand to some point how my friends feel and I don't think i've made it very easy for them. I do seem to want to talk about my troubles alot. I'll keep coming here with all my questions, I seem to have so many. Good thing you guys always have such good advice. Thank you!!!!
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Britbee

Hi what I did was write a blog. I sent it to all my friends with the by-line "if you are interested" and a lot of them said they enjoyed reading it and that it was very informative. I also found writing things down very therapeutic for me as I am going through this. I was fortunate that most of my good friends stuck with me through this. I hope you find that they will eventually come around. There is some very good advice in this thread, everyone on this forum is awesome!
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/