HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Rich66

Apigenin/Apigen

Ok...so Apigenin is supposed to be complementary to chemo but it is referred to below as an antioxidant which sometimes is said to be bad for chemo.

http://www.naturatherapeutics.com/apigen/faq

Are there helpful and harmful types of anti-Os?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Apigenin/Apigen

Really good question Rich.I also think we don't know the impact of various substances on herceptin either. Clearly there would be no profit doing this research either!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
TanyaRD

It looks like there is some early cell-line research on breast cancer cells and the bioflavinoid, apigenin which demonstrated growth inhibition. It is a potent antioxidant, especially when in concentrated supplement form. Food intake (citrus and leafy greens) can still be encouraged due to the lower dose delivery. The biggest concern with antioxidants and chemo are with the alkylating agents.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Rich66

Quote:
The biggest concern with antioxidants and chemo are with the alkylating agents.
Please explain

Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
TanyaRD

I should have included Anthracyclines and Podophyllum agents in my above statement too. Alkylating agents, anthracyclines and Podophyllum agents are all groups of chemotherapy agents that produce free radicals. Of course, antioxidants protect against free radical damage thus possibly interfering with the mechanism of action of the chemo agent. Herceptin does not fall into any of these groups, however many other drugs used for breast cancer treatment do fall into these categories. I have to admit that even though Herceptin doesn't fall into these categories I still tend to discourage use of high antioxidant supplements (food ok) during any type of infusional treatment for the mere fact that we just don't know enough to be certain there is no interaction. I am including a list of drugs below just FYI. The list may not be all inclusive.

Alkylating Agents
Cisplatin
Carboplatin
Clorambucil
Carmustine
Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
Busulfan
Ifosfamide

Anthracyclines
Doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Doxil)
Daunorubicin
Epirubicin
Mitomycin
Bleomycin

Podophyllum Agents
Etoposide (VP-16, Vespid)
Teniposide
Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Rich66

Any thought on Navelbine?

I wonder if a supplement could be used to keep Apigenin at a level consistent with dietary. you know...when ya don't tendto get yer veggies.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
TanyaRD

Navelbine is a vinca alkaloid. Technically, agents not known to generate free radicals are not as much of a concern. Aside from vinca alkaloids this also includes hormonal therapies, biological agents, antimetabolites, and taxanes.

Our oncologist does not allow any high dose antioxidants during any treatment due to the fact that there are too many unanswered questions in research. Whatever you decide just keep your health care team informed.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
Rich66

Ok..added to the Apigenen thread in "articles of interest" and on eof teh abstracts talks about being potentially harmful at low dose and helpful at high dose. So...I woudl think dietary would be low. Maybe the cell studies didn't take this into account. Is it possible tha low level dietary amounts could be in the harmful category? Maybe in this case supplements are in order to counteract the natural levels..at least in cancer world.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
TanyaRD

Sorry Rich but I am not finding the link you are referring to. Please clarify and I'll be happy to look into it. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Rich66

In Articles of interest section on this site. I put the articles there but hoped to continue discussion here. The easy way to find info there is to "search this article"

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...light=Apigenin

Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
TanyaRD

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have reviewed the articles and find your question to be very interesting and wish I could give you a solid answer. However, it is very early research and not human studies so it is very difficult to apply these findings in the human population, although I agree it warrants further research.

I have searched for apigenin content in foods but could not find anything. There are no data on plasma concentrations in humans either. Based on all that we know of the benefits of fruits and vegetables (including those that contain apigenin) I don't believe it would be wise to eliminate those foods. I think it is important to keep in mind the synergy of food. In these studies they are looking at one very small component of food that has been removed from its natural environment with other phytochemicals. It is possible that it may behave one way in the presence of other phytochemicals and another way on its own. This reminds me very much of whole soy vs. genistein.