HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
unregistered

Herceptin and weight gain

Hi everyone,

I am curious if any of you have experienced the same thing. I have been on Herceptin since 8 Sep, every 3 weeks. Before my 1st treatment, I was about 118 - today I saw the Doctor, and am at 135. This seems so dramatic. Although my clothes aren't fitting that much different, I am amazed at this. I can't think of what else it could be. I have been on Zoloft since April, and no weight gain. Had my ovaries out 1 Mar, and no weight gain. I know I shouldn't complain, but should I mention this significant gain to the oncologist? The doctor I saw today was my endocrinologist ( I still see him from having grave's disease) who follows me with my synthroid. Anybody else experience this?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

I started herceptin in June and I surely have been packing on the pounds. I just thought it was probably just from stuffing my face a little too much but now I'm beginning to wonder. I've gained at least 10-15 lbs. since early summer. ????
Any one else shed some light on the subject-- having a similar experience ??
Carol
Old 11-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Herceptin and Weight Gain

I have been having the same problem. I even joined weight watchers and was doing great - but after 2 weeks had gained .6lbs. I guess I should be glad it wasn't more! I can't handle doing a diet like that and not getting anywhere. Am trying to incorporate healthy eating now. My nurse said to let my body settle down and heal after finishing chemo in May. I have gained like 25 lbs since then.

Help
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
margaret

Hi,

I found that I definitely gained weight while I was on herceptin. After I finished my year of herceptin, the weight came off very easy and I got back to my normal weight with very little effort. When I look back at that time, I so appreciate being able to have the herceptin. It really was a minor temporary situation to deal with the weight gain for me. I just appreciate being able to get the herceptin.
Good luck with your treatment.
Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
Lani

Are your rings and/or shoes tighter?

Herceptin can cause peripheral edema--ankles, feet, wrists and hands look a little puffier than normal --carrying around a little extra water everywhere is like carrying around several liter sizes of sodapop. They quickly add up to a lot of weight! Are your rings feeling tighter? If this description fits your weight gain, then the excess weight (from water retention) should probably come off quickly and easily once herceptin is stopped.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Sheila

I have been on Herceptin 2 years and have managed to put on 24#. Dieting, exercising and healthy foods do not seem to help....I guess its a small price to pay for what the Herceptin does. If you do notice that your ankles and hands are swelling, notify your Dr....it could be a sign of cardiac issues related to the Herceptin. You may need a Muga to verify.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Kim in CA

Question

Hi,

I also experienced some water weight gain(had puffiness in ankles) the first couple years on Herceptin. I eventually asked my Onc to prescribe a mild diuretic and that helped alot. I have since weaned myself off of it and try to stay physically active. Seems to be working, cause my weight doesn't fluctuate much at all anymore and I am basically at my pre-cancer weight (except for the annual holiday weight gain!). So maybe it just takes time for our bodies to adjust to the Herceptin

Kim in CA
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Yorkiegirl

Herceptin Weight Gain

WELL, I guess that explains it !! LOL

I wasn't aware that weight gain could happen on Herceptin.
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
dberg

Holy cow, I thought I was gaining weight from the tamoxifen. If it is from the herceptin too then I am in big trouble. I cannot get my wedding ring off, my shoes are tighter, and I feel bloated all the time.
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Barbara2

Every time I step on the scale, my weight is up. Have gained about 15 pounds in 8 months. Have been on Herceptin about 5 1/2 months. Have discussed the weight with my onc and also an endrocinologist. Neither have had any magical advice as to how to shed the pounds! The thyroid is a little sluggish, but can't do much about that.

My clothes don't fit and I am short, so 15 pounds is huge. So in the meantime, I walk my legs off, and try to eat sensibly. I have never dropped weight quickly in my life, so doubt very much that the weight will fall off after finishing the herceptin.

But, if the herceptin works, no further complaints here!!
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #11
Gina

Question Yes, Herceptin for some reason does seem to...

cause steady and continual weight increase. I have some theories...of course...but would like to hear from others why they have read or believe the weight gain happens. Since I have been on Herceptin off and on for over 6 years...my weight has gone from 165 to 200!!!!! I HATE it... I walk. I eat a fantastic diet...etc..etc..but the weight will not come off...EXCEPT...when I stop taking the herceptin in years past...it would seem to melt away..but guess what...?? Then, my cancer markers would go up again and BOOM, I would be back on herceptin and Double guess what??? FAT AGAIN...sighhh...at least being 5' 10" HELPS with BIG thick Neandertal bones, but there must be some connection. Any thoughts????

Best of luck to us all--better broad than dead I guess...chuckle...chuckle,
Gina L. Popp
Gina@Comcast.net
Original DX in 1997; STAGE IV mets in 1999; 6 years and 7 months experience with Herceptin; This month marks my 8th year since mastectomy and I am STILL here...smile.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
Jointy

Re: Herceptin and weight gain

I have not observed weight gain due to the use of herceptin. But as soon as I stopped going to the gym due to the fact that they were quarantined, I began to grow stout. I was very worried that I would lose the figure that I had been seeking for so long. But my crony advised me prowaist uk
Thanks to this belt, I can not worry that I will lose my figure. Now I can stay slim even in quarantine!
Jointy is offline   Reply With Quote