HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
KDR

PH Environment

Hi,
I'm interested in learning about PH and neutral environment. I don't think this is a practice that can be done while on chemo, but if anyone can chime in here, I'd appreciate it. Would love to create the environment that cancer hates.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: PH Environment

I often look to Dr. Andrew Weil for sound advice on alternative therapies. He has an open mind and does embrace many alternative approaches, but he's not afraid to say when something's bogus, either.

This is his comment on alkaline water, which would, I think, apply to any attempt to control pH in the body.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA98873...te-Health.html

The other thing I personally look at when evaluating alternative offerings is how much "product" a website is selling when they're promoting an alternative theory or treatment. Selling pretty much anything raises big red flags for me.

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Karen Wheel

Karen -
There is lots of info out there on line. I personally learned a bunch from The Cancer Battleplan Sourcebook --- but also I have a few documents that might help you on your quest if you email me at "wheelistic@yahoo.com" ....

I found that during chemo my pH was right there in the middle range where it should be (and I test daily still!) as I gave up most all animal products and ate lots of fresh raw veg. I think that if you have a port installed you will have to ask your doc about lots of green veg as a friend of mine on the her2 site said she couldn't do much raw veg (like broccoli) because it did something to the port (can't remember what --- chemo brain!) but.... I didn't have a port so I ate a strict vegan diet and it worked great for me.

The theory is that cancer loves and thrives in an acid pH environment ... most cancer patients would see their pH at below 5.0 (as normal) mine consistantly was 7.0 to 7.25. Even my Oncologists here in Italy said that was weird as they had not seen numbers "that high" in any of their other patients. So... I was thrilled as I know it helps by not giving fuel to the cancer to grow.

Here are my list of favorite books - and websites - you might find some answers here too:

Few of my favorite sites with loads of information:

http://www.i-amperfectlyhealthy.com/index.html
http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/index.html
http://www.carcinomacancer.org/cance...ph-factor.html
www.drday.com
http://www.cancerrd.com/
www.livingfoodsinstitute.com
http://cancermonitor.blogspot.com/20...reatments.html
http://www.creativehealthinstitute.com/wheat_grass.htm
http://www.healthquarters.org/
www.gerson.org

Favorite Books:

The Cancer Battle Plan Sourcebook (this is the updated version) by David Frahm
Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor – by Kris Carr
Beating Cancer with Nutrition – by Patrick Quillin PhD, RD, CNS
Eat to Live – by Joel Fuhrman, MD
The Gerson Therapy – The amazing nutritional program for cancer and other illnesses – by Charlotte Gerson and Morton Walker, DPM
A Cancer Therapy – Results of Fifty Cases – by Max Gerson, MD

Live long and strong –
Karen
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Karen Wheel

PS - I see your signature with Liver mets --- I found some great info on liver rehealing powers with lots of lemon and also extra virgin olive oil --- I start most days with the juice of an entire lemon and a few table spoons of extra virgin olive oil --- again, can't prove it but it hasn't hurt me... and lemon really helps eliminate acid --- it is a great tool to give cancer a kick in the butt. Cancer hates lemon! :-) I can bet on that! I will look for the article but might have lost it in my hard disk death a month ago or so - but found an article that was slating lemon and olive oil to help heal auto immune diseases like cancer and AIDS.... I thought it was facinating....
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS

Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Karen Wheel

Found a few here ---

Lemon and curing cancer
PH links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-The-Si...Aids&id=395444

http://people.tribe.net/heatherlsalm...3-e2fb172ce7b0

Check them out...
Karen
8-09 - 30 RADS

Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
DianneS

There are a lot of other factors besides pH that affect cancer growth. If it was that easy everyone who has cancer would be cured. In a normal body the pH will go from acid to alkaline every day - from what I read. People are usually more acid at night, or when sleeping. Certainly it makes sense to eat right.

But then I do know women who were vegan, exercised, etc and still got cancer. Have you read about the p53 gene? It is a chromosonal defect on the 17th chromosone and can definitely cause tumours. My onc says there is some promising research being done on the p53 and he would put more credence in that than the topo2 test.

You can google p53 gene but there is still much to be learned about what 'turns on' cancer in some people and not others. However this gene is thought to be one of the major factors. Balancing your pH won't affect your genetic makeup. As far as I know. If there is evidence to the contrary I'd like to read it. I agree with Debbie L. If supplements are being sold along with claims of curing cancer, beware!
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Karen Wheel

Just a quick weigh in ...
I never said that I believe that something being sold over the counter like a vitamin could cure cancer. I would be very skeptical of this too!

Also this 17th chromosome may be one of the reasons we develop cancer. I didn't say that we can change our genetic make up by diet - but what I am saying is that we can fight back much better if we eat to live. To give out bodies and our immune systems the right nutrients to fight cancer by not giving it an environment that it likes to live and grow in. I am not saying that it works 100% --- what I am saying is that I personally will do ANYTHING to decrease my chances of getting cancer again. I am scared enough of this Her2 beast that I had and I don't ever want to see it again.

I would challenge you to read The Cancer Battle Plan Sourcebook and/or anything from Gerson and then tell me what you think about diet and nutrition and fighting cancer ... or in Gerson's case they speak about the cure for cancer!

I am only trying to give us all more info and options to fight cancer on more than just the drug front.

Hope this makes sense....
Karen
8-09 - 30 RADS

Old 11-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
KDR

My dermatologist, Dr. Jeannette Graf, has discussed the pH environment with me (when I shared my diagnosis with her) and cancer's ability to thrive or not depending how it is balanced. She discusses it extensively in her new book, Stop Aging, Start Living.
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Karen Wheel

I will have to get that book! Its on my list!
Thanks! Karen
8-09 - 30 RADS

Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
DianneS

Thanks Karen. I think mine and Debbie's (speaking for you, Debbie!) question was a few of the websites you quote are definitely pushing their own brand of supplements.

To quote Debbie: The other thing I personally look at when evaluating alternative offerings is how much "product" a website is selling when they're promoting an alternative theory or treatment. Selling pretty much anything raises big red flags for me. '

Couldn't agree more!
Dianne

ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Lien

I have the defective p53 gene. I think it doesn't cause tumors to develop, but it fails to supress them when they start growing. There's a lot of cancer in my family history, so it would make sense if that played a role. I was told that these cancers weren't related, but if the supressor gene is not working, that might explain why we are more likely to develop any kind of cancer.

I looked into it in 2004, when I was diagnosed, but as the research was inconclusive, and there's not much to be done when you have it, I forgot about it. I agree that it's something that warrants more research.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
DianneS

I detest doing research on the computer. I have satellite and it's horribly slow. So I don't know if there is a way to find out if you have a defective p53 gene or not. All I know from my onc is that most, not all, women with a grade 3 tumor have a defective p53 gene. I don't know if I wanted to know this or not. I do know there are a lot of women with grade 3 tumors who don't get a recurrence. What causes some to recur and not others is a question! I don't think this website is posting any updated (if there is any) info about the p53 gene?
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved