HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
LouLou

Tamox or not?

Hi, I’ve been more of a reader than a poster since finding this site after I was dx in Feb 09.
I’m after some discussion about my situation. Here’s my background, I was dx at 39 had a WLE for multifocal IDC 2.1cm and 1.5cm 2/10 pos nodes ER+, PR+ Her2+++.
I did AC x 4, Taxol x 12, 12 mths of herceptin and Rads. The Chemo sent me into menopause confirmed by blood test so my Onc started me on Arimidex as he thought it was a better drug for Her2 BC than Tamox.
I had a baseline DEXA scan that showed osteopenia prior to starting the Arimidex, he thought my period may come back due to my age so he checked my hormone level every 3 months and started me on Vit D and Caltrate.
I have remained in Menopause, my blood estrogen level was undetectable (below 3) at each blood test and my FSH kept rising, so looks like menopause is permanent, I haven’t had a period for more than 18 months.
Anyway had my 1 yr follow up DEXA scan and it showed a 6-10% in decrease in bone mass in hip and spine measurements and I now dx with osteoporosis. My Onc has stopped the Arimidex for good and commenced me on Zometa.
We discussed Tamox but he felt it would only give me an additional 2% reduction in risk of recurrence so I decided the potential SE out weighed the benefit for 2%. My Onc was happy with what ever I decided, he didn't push for the Tamox at all.
While I was popping the Arimidex I felt I was actively “fighting” the BC now I’m having second thoughts that maybe I should give Tamox a go, although I have read the info about Her2 BC being resistant to it.
Does anybody have any further info about the benefit of Tamox in preventing recurrence in triple pos BC?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: Tamox or not?

LouLou,

You are not strongly estrogen positive, so if indeed you may only decrease your chance for recurrence by 2%, I do not think I'd compromise my skeleton either. Wonder if your periods will resume once you have been off of the Arimidex for a few months? After all you are only 40 years old.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Becky

Re: Tamox or not?

I am not sure what I would do in your shoes. I think if I was still on Herceptin infusions, I would take the Tamoxifen during that time but otherwise, I just don't know. Since you have discussed throughly with your doctor - that is the real opinion you need.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote