HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Chelee

Why do I have to fight for Benedryl?! (Warning, vent!)

I know Benadryl is not required as a pre-med before herceptin. But I've had minor problems in the past if I don't get Benadryl first so I want it every time. I rather be safe then sorry especially dealing with my lung problems. I never had any problems getting Benadryl the first go around with cancer...but since my recent recurrence it's been a pain in the butt to get it! One excuse after another and I'm fed up with it.

When I first started on herceptin in Sept. I told my onc I wanted Benadryl. She went into a rant as to why it's not needed for herceptin. I told her I still want it...and explained why. So she says there is a new rule concerning Benadryl. That if she orders it for me I have to have a ride home or WAIT at the cancer center for 4 hrs after my infusion. (She knew I wouldn't want to sit there that long so I'd say no.) But I told her no problem...I'll get a ride home. So since that didn't work she tried to convince me that Pepsid works the same way Benadryl does so I wouldn't need the Benadryl. (Give me a break!) I did not give up so next she tried to tell me to stop at my local pharmacy and & buy a bottle of Benadryl (25mg) and take it BEFORE I get to my infusion. I insisted that I wanted the IV Benadryl...so she gave in at that time.

But since my recurrence and our last chat about it, I'm STILL having problems getting IV Benadryl. What is the problem...why is my onc so against giving it to me! Benadryl makes me so tired...I'd really rather NOT have it...but I don't feel good if I don't have it. There is a difference for me...so what's it to them?!

My regular chemo nurse is gone for the holidays. I had another nurse today & she NEVER gave me my Benadryl and I was pissed when I found out. It's the first time I actually got mad in there. My onc had even ordered it...but this chemo nurse said the pharmacy didn't have it ready when she first went up there. I said then you should have waited like MY chemo nurse does! She said I'll go get it now and give it too you. I was angry and said it's too late now, it was almost 3:30 PM! The whole point is to have it before my herceptin. How stupid to even offer me Benadryl at the end of the day when it was time to go home. Has anyone been told you can't have Benadryl if you don't have a ride home. And have any of you had to fight to get your benadryl if you want it? Sorry for the vent but I had a really bad day. I feel bad even mentioning this when so many others have so much more to deal with.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote