HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Westcoastgirl

Reconstruction question

Hi all, sure could use your input on this. I am all finished with my chemo, herceptin, and radiation, just Femera from here on in. This Friday I get my portacath removed and then I will take some time for myself to feel healthy, fit, and strong. In November I will perhaps have some reconstruction. That is why I am here, to ask your advise. I have had a double mastectomy and have lots of skin. The ps says he can go directly to implants and all I want is an A cup despite him saying I could have B. I do not want to have any other type of reconstruction as I feel I have endured enough and don't want any "extra" surgery so really, really need your input on implants. I know I am taking a risk having had radiation but think I can handle that risk. My worries are that I will not be able to resume my normal activities like yoga and wt training etc. I have been told that pain persists and activity is sometimes forever restricted with implants, that it feels like wearing an iron bra. Those of you that have had implant reconstruction I sure would love to hear from you. Thank you so much. Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
kklouisiana

Re: Reconstruction question

Hi, I am going to have a double mastectomy May 10, 2010 and my plastic surgeon is going to do my reconstruction. He is using the Brava bra system after I finish chemo. I will wear this at night for 3 weeks to loosen skin in order for him to use my body fat to rebuild breasts. THis is not surgery, it's outpatient process and I will only need 3 or 4 visits to complete this. THis is in Little ROck, Arkansas. You can look at this procedure by googling 'brava bra' Good luck. BTW I am HER2+++, ER+, PR- and don't know anything else about stages, etc.
kklouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Ruth

Hi Carolyn ~
I have implants and no problems...I weight train, pilates and do pretty much everything else including scuba diving in which your strapped in with a heavy weight on you. The radiated side with the implant does feel different and is definitely tighter but there is no fat around it so it is bound to. The filling process is what feels like you're in an iron bra or two rocks on your chest but once the expander is out and implant is in it no longer feels like that. I'm happy with my results!
PM me for more questions anytime if you need to.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
ammebarb

Hi Carolyn. I've had my single, saline breast implant for 25 years and have always been glad I did this type of reconstruction. It was pretty new at the time, in that it was implanted, filled with the saline over a period of time and then the tubing and "port" were removed and the implant sealed (to become my permanent implant). I figure I'll eventually have to replace it, but 25 years is way longer than I thought it would last. I'd do saline again, I think. I had a skin graft for nipple reconstruction...probably an old fashioned method now, what with tatoos, etc. Wishing you perfect comfort with whatever you decide!

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Yorkiegirl

I just looked at the web site for a Brava Bra and it does state that this not for use when a mastectomy has been done.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
kklouisiana

yes, it has not been FDA approved, but my doctors have approved it for me. i will post the results later after chemo, don't know when that will be yet.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Yorkiegirl

kklouisiana I look forward to reading about your experience with the Brava Bra. But please keep us updated.

Also let us know how your surgery goes and if have any questions after that is done and when startingf chemo be sure and ask. This message board is a wealth of information.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
kklouisiana

I will be glad to share my experience. At first I was given the option of having reconstruction done at the time of mastectomy but decided for me my first priority is not my looks but my health. I admire those who are doing it all at once, they are braver than I am. I just want the 2 hour surgery done and over with. As I heal and go through chemo and whatever else I'll be taking, I can look forward to the non-surgical breast reconstruction a lot easier than another surgery. Hopefully, this will have positive results for me and others who choose to do so, if given this option. God Bless!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Smile Re: Reconstruction question

Westcoastgirl,

I had bilateral mastectomy in April 2008 with expanders, swapped with silicone implants in December 2008 (following Chemo, but PRIOR to radiation).

First, let me say that I am very HAPPY with my decisions.

You mention that you have a lot of extra "skin". I am what is considered a full figured woman. I had a lot of extra flaps and I have had several "revisions" to correct. These have not been traumatic at all, and I have been able to keep my gym routine (light duty) with only a two day break.

I still have one more revision on the right side (my radiated side) to finish it all up. The radiated side usually take a little longer to heal, but nothing alarming. The radiated side is also a little higher and tighter than the other side. This was expected, and it doesn't affect my symetry under clothes.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to! Good luck with your decision!
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Westcoastgirl

Hi Ladies,
I thank you for responding. I have digested all you have said and feel easier in my mind.

Today was of course my "big" day. My portacath was removed and it feels as though it marks the end of all the major treatments. I was not at all uncomfortable during the procedure, I love my surgeon, just a few pricks for freezing and then not too nice a smell I guess, but not too bad, as he cauterized. He showed me everything that came out. I almost felt a breath of air as the catheter tube came out, odd feeling but nice. I felt free. I am quite pleased. I would often put my hand to my upper chest, cup the portacath, feel the heat and protection. There is nothing to cup there now. He said my scar would be pretty and it would flatten quickly. I am surprised at how well I feel. This is the first time I have allowed myself to truly celebrate during all of this so we went out for a nice lunch near home.

As I was leaving the hospital this morning I ran into my plastic surgeon and I told him I would be coming by for an appt so he could answer my questions. I like my ps as well and had him talk to the surgeon before the mastectomy surgeries. I am 5'6" and slim but had C cup breasts before. The surgeon left as much skin as he could from the mastectomies and my ps thinks he can go directly to implants without expanders. I want to go small (A) so the "good" side has extra skin and will have to be removed. I just want to look a little more feminine. It scares me to have the implant under my pectoral and I know I am more at risk for contracture after radiation. I also know I am unwilling to have any other type of surgery so I suppose will have to ask a lot more questions and weigh my odds with implants. I am going to take 6 months to make my decision and in the meantime concentrate on being happy, healthy, fit, strong, and flexible. Have I missed anything? Thanks again, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
kklouisiana

I'm so happy to read your comments, WCG. I have one more week before my bilateral. The day after Mother's Day. It is SO good to see that there are others willing to share their experiences, as I don't know anyone who has been through this. God Bless You!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
harrie

West Coast Girl,
I have implants (along with my DIEP) and do fine with yoga and wt training. I don't lift heavy like I use to, but do the minimal amt for my bones. My workouts are now focused more on yoga which i love more.
You should be able to do both. But be careful and consult your plastic surgeon. My friend who had a mastectomy/recon with implants 2 yrs ago went back to heavy lifting at the gym and that was a mistake. Her implants shifted out and she needs to have them redone.
I do yoga 3 -4x's per wk and wt train 3 days a wk for about 1/2 hr each session with light to moderate wts.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
islandgirl

Hi there: I'm just finishing Herceptin (next month) and have consulted with a plastic surgeon (again!). While I feel our family needs a rest after this intense year of surgeries, chemo, I'm feeling compelled to get implants as it's cost effective (doesn't that sound lame - but it's the truth - I've capped out my insurance in about two minutes and hate to pay for boobs next year, so why not go with it). I am told it's good I've waited for implants, as the failure rate is much higher when done at the time of mastectomy (interesting, I thought - my surgeon said reconstruction is offered to women at time of mastectomy though it's not sound medicine - it's much better, he states, to wait for at least two months, as there's a greater risk of infection, capsular contracture, when done immediately after mastectomy. Good luck to you. I'm looking forward to burying the dozens of protheses I've gathered over the years..... I am admittedly concerned about subsequent (possibly multiple) surgeries, but am clear I don't wish to undergo a DIEP or TRAM as I wish to be recovered quickly. Thanks.

p.s. I am relatively new to this site. I'm wondering if any one could tell me how to start a new thread. I am nervous about ending my treatment and wanted to discuss this with folks. Thanks so much. Sorry I'm such a non-techie person.
2007 total hysterectomy (fibroids/family hx of ovarian cancer)
2009 Dx with DCIS, high grade 3 with microinvasion. Estrogen-Progesterone -, HER2 Neu +
2009 (3/26/09) Mastectomy right breast
5/09 - 8/09 weekly Taxol/Herceptin
8/09 - Present - Herceptin every 3 weeks

6/10 Begin breast reconstruction!
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote