Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Neuropathy Study

Participate in an NIH funded study for Neuropathic Pain

WHAT IS THE STUDY?

The study is testing Websites about self-managing neuropathic pain.

WHY PARTICIPATE?

· You may or may not experience reduced pain and increased physical functioning.
· You may learn more about neuropathic pain.

CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION

www.inflexxion.com/researchstudies

Neuropathic Pain Study Coordinator

neuropathicpain@inflexxion.com

1-800-848-3895, extension 245

Participants may receive up to $175 for completing all study requirements

STUDY INFORMATION

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Neuropathy Study

Thanks Joe,

I suffered with neuropathy during treatments but hated the drugs I took to help which had some bad side effects.

I now find myself five years on suffering with sciatica, neuralga and general nerve pain which I wonder is related to in any way to my treatment as I had no problems before diagnosis and will check this out.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
sarah

Hello Tricia,
I had a lot of pain in my shoulder that turned out to have been caused by a pinched or burnt nerve due to radiation. I was given a drug called Lyrica that is sometimes suggested for people with myalgia. I started with 75mg in the morning and 75mg in the evening. I had immediate relief. Now I just take a pill at night and not every night. It does make you a little sleepy.
Maybe ask your doctor about Lyrica.
good luck
health and happiness
sarah
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
islandgirl

Hi there: I had bad neuropathy during chemo (taxol). I tried glutamine (a supplement) with some positive results, but then it got quite bad and I resorted to other drugs. This included gabapentem (spelling?) and Lyrica. While I got relief from these drugs, I was concerned about the side effects (sleepiness, foggy head, and extreme weight gain), so I am no longer using them. I have gone to a naturapath and some of their supplements have helped. I am almost done with Herceptin tx and oddly a few weeks ago my foot neuropathy came back with a vengeance. I worry this will be ongoing, as it's my understanding nerve damage is quirky and sometimes irreversible. Thanks.
2007 total hysterectomy (fibroids/family hx of ovarian cancer)
2009 Dx with DCIS, high grade 3 with microinvasion. Estrogen-Progesterone -, HER2 Neu +
2009 (3/26/09) Mastectomy right breast
5/09 - 8/09 weekly Taxol/Herceptin
8/09 - Present - Herceptin every 3 weeks

6/10 Begin breast reconstruction!
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
agaperus

I've dealt with mild neuropathy for years due to diabetes, and recently much more severe due to chemo. I have in my research found that alpha lipoic acid will protect nerves and have had some reports of reversing neuropathy. It also is being studied in prevention of breast cancer! go figure! I have not tried it, but am looking into it. I'm not wanting to start on Lyrica just yet. The alpha lipoic acid has no side effects.
Blessings and good care to you all.
agaperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
islandgirl

Thanks for your post regarding neuropathy. I hadn't heard of the alpha lipoic acid supplement and shall ask my naturopath about it. I continue to have nerve issues in my feet, though am finally (gasp!) done with Herceptin. I have also started the process of breast reconstruction (implants) and am loving this one semi-positive aspect of the whole breast cancer experience. I just ordered a non-mastectomy swimsuit and am excited about having cleavage! Thanks.
2009 Dx with DCIS, high grade 3 with microinvasion. Estrogen-Progesterone -, HER2 Neu +

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
agaperus

hahaha; you gave me the giggles. I too look forward to having cleavage again. right now I'm wearing yoga tops with built in bras; they help the bandages stay in place, but are not so attractive on this lumpy body. Just more reason to exercise.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Unregistered

Perhaps you could remove the ad for your study since your study is full.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
DancerDonna

I have neuropathy in my toes caused by taxol I took during chemo in 2005. I wear 6 to 8 pr. of socks at home because layers are the only thing I've ever found to help. Even in the summer, I wear 3 pr. of socks with UGG boots out. I take 300 mg of Lyrica and have taken Neurontin (gabapentin) before; I do not think either have helped the toes. I take lyrica to help prevent headaches I've had since a car accident in 1983.

The neuropathy is a cold, painful sensation. It is difficult to sleep at times, even with this many layers. Lately, there are times that it is the whole foot, instead of only the toes. My neurologist gave me a test a couple of years ago that showed severe damage to the nerves below my knees. I finished the chemo in Dec. 2005.
DancerDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
agaperus

Hi Donna;
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. have you tried alpha lipoic acid? I have heard that it can help and that it also in some cases reversed the neuropathy. Since it's an antioxidant supplement, you should be able to take it along with the Lyrica and should have no interreactions to worry about but i do suggest you talk to your doctor first. The little bit of research i've done on it shows that 600 mg should be the maximum dose per day as the body cannot absorb more than that and it would be wasted. Good luck to you and hope you get relief soon.
kathy
Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
KDR

I started having a "light" case of this, and my doctor put me on 50 mg. Vitamin B6 daily. After two days, I noticed an improvement.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
KDR

I started having a "light" case of this, and my doctor put me on 50 mg. Vitamin B6 daily. After two days, I noticed an improvement.
Karen
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
islandgirl

Dear Karen: Thanks for responding to my neuropathy concerns. I shall look in to the B6 supplement. I'm sure it can't hurt! Hope you're doing well.

Jude - islandgirl

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Estelle

Hi Karen,
I am interested in finding out more about the B6. I have taxol induced neuropathy that started the day I started taxol, and persist to this day, about a year after completing taxol. I was told to take a B complex pill, that has about 6 mg of B-6 and the label says that is about 250% of the regular daily requirement. So that means that 50 mgs of B-6 would really be a megadose. I am ready to try that, but wanted to make sure I got the dossing amount correct -- do you take it all at once, or twice of 3x a day? Any info is greatly appreciated. By the way, I am doing the "study" -- so far just consist of reading various information about a lot of different types of pain. I am disappointed because I thought it might teach biofeedback or some other non-drug means to get at least some relief. It also affects my entire foot and sometimes creeps up the leg, as well as my fingers.

Estelle
DX 12-08, Gr 3 St 3; HER2+++, ER/PR-
lympectomy; 10 + nodes
AC then taxol and Tykerb started 7/09
Tykerb gave me severe dehydration, discontinued, 9/09
Completed taxol and a Full year of herceptin - completed 7/10
Bilateral mastectomy - 10/09
Radiation 11/09-12/09
Estelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
KDR

Hello,
I am taking 50 mg. B6 for symptoms daily. I have noticed a very nice improvement, but I have had only 10 Taxol infusions thus far. I won't take anything without consulting with my oncologist, though.
Best
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
Estelle

Thanks, Karen
I too check with my doc, and will go back with this info. They seemed unclear on the amount when I asked. Hopefully they will ok it. Thanks again.
Estelle
Estelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
KDR

Estelle,
You know every case is different. So, go with your trusted oncologist...she what he/she says. I can tell you that it worked for me. I am on my 12th Taxol. Quite a bit earlier than some others here.