HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Melinda

Cool Look Good... Feel Better

Hi gals,
I havenot seen this mentioned on the boards, and it seems that many of us may need a "pick me up" of sorts with some of the news we have been receiving from some of our sisters. I know they are all in our prayers.
The American Cancer Society sponsors a LLOK GOOD... FEEL BETTER program with cosmetics and helpful tips. Now as old as we all are and have been applying makeup fo a "couple" of years. who would think this is I great idea.... I do! YOu can always teach a not so old puppy new tricks, especially when ones eyebrow and or lashes may go by the wayside. ONce during your treatment stage, at various sites across the US they sponsor this program and give away cosmetics that coincide with your skin tone, etc. What I like about it is that you now get a chance to meet face to face other sisters, who are going through the about the same as you. Comradarie at its best. I do not know anyone except those of you on this message board that is in the same situation. The patients at my ONC office often times are either sleepiing or to tired or visiting with family members to talk, and besides... its DR office. This program gets us away from the patient setting and allows us to be women in one of our many natural environments...makeup.
Here is the link all that is needed is to register for one. Maybe if there are some of us close by we could meet . Yhttp://www.cancer.org:80/docroot/ESN/content/ESN_3_1X_Look_Good_Feel_Better.asp
JUST a thought, but I think it may be a great experience.
Melinda
Keep the faith
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
janet11

I went last September and there were 8 women there, one who had already lost her hair. There wasn't anything about makeup although we did get a fantastic goodie bag (the person who was scheduled to present the makeup part didn't arrive). But the person who did the scarves, hats, and wigs was great and I got lots of good ideas.

Good luck!

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Vi Schorpp

I attended 3 years ago and it was fabulous...All of it was helpful, but of particular importance to me was putting on eyebrows and working with eyes.

Last edited by Vi Schorpp; 03-28-2007 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Colleen007

I went last year and the box of freebies is well worth attending for. I had not yet lost my hair and it was eye opening to me to see someone there with a wig. They gave lots of good ideas.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
MCS

I was not able to attend one because it happened to coincide with chemo. I heard though the best is to see other sisters, not the makeup. It's also dependant on the sponsoring hospital centers, some are great, others are not.

I was also so sick, didn't feel like going out much at that time.

I learned to do the eyebrows in my bathroom mirror, I even bought one of those pre cut plastic patterns, which did not work. I never had used pencil on my eyebrows till then. Many mistakes made here

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
mke

It's in Canada too. I went although I've never used much make-up. I got of lot of goodies, found out I liked some things that I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise. The info on scarves and wigs and how to do absent eyebrows was useful.
mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
KRISS

I went to one just last month. Unfortunatly I was the only person there. The good thing was I got one on one treatment. I had already lost my hair and my skin tone was changing. I got lots of good ideas. My goodie bag had skin cream, body lotion, and cleaser. The make up was fabulous. All high end name brands and full size! I would totally suggest that everyone go.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote