HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
phurst

After Surgery Advice

Everyone on these boards has been so helpful during the last 6 months of chemo.She has gotten through it and is scheduled for her masectomy monday,April 7th.She will have the left breast removed (Dr's did not want to remove both now)The breast cancer was discovered by my wife in her lymph nodes,so they will take some or all out.
My question is what should we do as far as getting help when she comes home.Drainage tubes etc. and how long she may be in the hospital.I will have to work during the day but will be with her at night.
phurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Bill

Phurst, I can't help you on that question. One blessing we had was that Nicola never had to have a mastectomy. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I know these wonderful women here will answer right away. You guys stay strong, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hey! It's coming right up and will soon be over!
I went in one day and had the surgery and stayed one night and went home the next afternoon. I was so excited to go home and rest - drains an all. I took 2 tylenol and mostly just tiptoed around thinking that I "should be hurting or something" but did not. I think the emotional pain was far worse...just getting used to the "new me"!
You'll get good information and the doctor will tell you before he releases you what to expect and when to call. And call if you need to. And ask the nurses questions too.
It is surgery and scary, but one day at a time you get to the other side. I'll be thinking of you on Monday!
Best wishes for smooth sailing. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Audrey

Hi phurst, I hope I can help a little--I had two separate mastectomies-the first one also included removing lymph nodes. I was in the hospital for about five days, which is an unusally long time. I think my problem was that I kept hitting the pain-relief button and kept myself all woozy from the pain drugs instead of forcing myself to get up and get moving. The second mastectomy (preventative, on the "good" side) went much more smoothly and the recovery was much quicker. My husband had to work, too, so my mom came out and helped out with my little kids and made sure the dog didn't jump on me, etc. while I just stayed in bed and rested for a few days. My sure your wife uses her arm (to reach for her water, etc.) so she doesn't end up with something they call "frozen shoulder"--it's so easy to baby the side of your surgery, when actually they really want you to use that side so you don't get too stiff. As far as the drains, the nurses will show you how to drain them and record the amount of fluid. It's easy to do, just gross. I hated the drains--they were always getting pulled -ouch! until someone suggested that I pin the drainage tube up so it wouldn't move or place it in a pocket. Other people may differ, but I recall being up and feeling pretty good after about a week. Best of luck to you both--Oh, if you can find it, I also highly recommend a relaxation tape I found at my local wellness center, by a woman named Belleruth Naparstak, called something like "Before Surgery" --you listen to this relaxing tape to calm your anxiety and you picture the doctors smiling and saying how well everything is going, etc. Sounds silly, but it really helped with my anxiety over the procedure.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
BonnieR

Softee makes a camisole garment that is comfortable to wear after surgery. And it includes pouches to accomdate the drains. I had a double mastectomy and came home the same day. I had 4 drains. My husband was a saint and he drained and measured them. He said he compared it to dealing with "hydraulic fluid" when he works on his car!
I found it important to take the pain meds before the pain got too bad. It is hard to catch up to it, once it takes hold. And being in pain slows down the recovery process and limits movement. Sometimes my husband noticed the pain hitting before I did.
It is good to have easy to use foods in the house. Soups, cans of Ensure, cheese and crackers. Take out!
The catch phrase is "Easy Does It"
ETA: It would be nice if there was someone, a friend or neighbor, who could look in on her during the first few days when you are at work. At first it might be hard for her to get up and about
Keep the faith. And keep us posted.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10

Last edited by BonnieR; 03-31-2008 at 06:30 PM..
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote