HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
mmoons

My experience with Lapatinib (Tykerb)

Hi all-

I posted my newbie story on the Welcome area.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38124

But since I am now 4 months into my Tykerb pills, I wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone else.

I am in a clinical trial through MD Anderson via my oncologist at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The trial is small with only around 85 people (worldwide I think). The purpose of the study is to see if Lapatinib will improve neoadjuvant breast cancer treament when it is given in addition to standard chemo or when it is substituted for trastuzumab (herceptin). There where 3 arms:
  1. Herceptin with FEC 75 and Taxol
  2. Lapatinib with FEC 75 and Taxol
  3. Both Herceptin and Lapatinib with FEC 75 and Taxol
I was randonly chosen for #2. So in November I started taking 6 pills of Lapatinib a night along with my cycles of FEC 75. Just 3 weeks ago I started weekly Taxol.

I had terrible GI issues with taking the Lapatinib. I was 125 pounds when I was diagnosed. I am now down to 115 pounds. So taking 1,500 mg of Lapatinib did a number on my body. I have had 2 dose reductions because of the diarreah. So my nightly dose now is 1,000 mg.

I am on my 3 "break" from my nightly chemo. I get a couple days off occassionally to give my system a rest. My nightly pills treatment with Lapatinib is for 6 months. Only 2 more to go!!! Please say a prayer they do not have to dose reduce again because then I will be disqualified from the trial.

On to the good news. Yes, the diarreah is bad. But after only TWO weeks on the Lapatinib pills nightly my tumor shrunk considerably. My tumor was 6.8 centimeters to start. Am I wrong or is that pretty big???? Like almost 3 inches. They were amazed at how much it had shrunk in just 2 weeks. Seriously great news!!!

Sorry for the ramble. I just wanted to reach out with this info in case it helps anyone else. Believe me, you all have been a wealth of info for me already. Thank you for that. I am glad I found this site.

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote