HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
eric

Tykerb/Xeloda didn't work...very scared

Hi all,

Well, T/X didn't work and I'm very fearful with Tykerb out of the picture and herceptin questionable. We meet with the Onc on thursday to determine the next course of action and I have also emailed Sloan about a second opinion. I hate to burden all of you who are fighting this horrible disease but I'm very scared and want to be as prepared as possible when we meet with the dr's.

Brief history...diagnosed with stage IIIa her2 neu breast cancer (10/03). After dose dense AC-Taxol and radiation, spots were found in her lungs and liver in June. PET only showed in liver but CAT showed in lung as well. Started herceptin/gemzar, which thankfully worked very well and kept her NED from 01/05 until 01/07. She's 44 and in GREAT health besides the cancer.

I welcome any thoughts or recommendations.

Hugs and thanks to all,
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
jojo

Wink Quick question for Eric...

Hi Eric,

Real sorry that T/X didn't work out for your wife, Caryn. In your previous post, you had said that Herceptin was questionable. Why is that?

BTW, as some of you may know, some chemo drugs could be repeated in one's course of action, if only a break between the chemo drug would be long enough in his/her onc's eyes.

I'm on Tykerb / Avastin trial. My onc once said to me that I could switch to Herceptin, should Tykerb fail on me. Hope not!

Best of luck on your wife. Caryn is very fortunate to have such a supporting husband like you! :-)

God bless...

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Sheila

Eric
I agree with JoJo, some chemos can be reused.. what about adding Avastin to the Tykerb, or to Herceptin, and maybe some Abraxane in with it....all of these seem to show great promise on stubborn mets...from my own experience, Xeloda does not work on everyone, cancer gets smart, tiem to throw a new challange to it. I am hoping you get good news. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
Kavy

Answer to Eric, and "Hi, everybody!"

Eric,
I am so sorry Tykerb/Xeloda did not work for your wife, but there are many treatment options that she hasn't tried yet. I do not have experience with Tykerb/Xeloda, but her history is similar to mine. I am 45 y. old, diagnosed in April 2005 with Stage 3C, her2+, er/pr-, IBC. Had EC with Taxotere, then double mastectomy, radiation, then spots were found in my lungs and liver, PET scan only showed in lungs, but CT scan showed also in liver. I had Taxotere/Herceptin for 6 months, then changed to Nalvabine/Herceptin, and I have been on it for a year now. Since October 2006 the several small liver lesions are gone, and now the small lungs mets are most gone, I just have 1 nodule (less than 1 cm) for a while now that is almost gone, and 1 lymph node that is stable. And the side effects of Nalvabine are minimal. My hair grew back while on it, no premedication, no nausea, just some neuropathy in hands and feet.
I think Nalvabine/ Herceptin is a very good combo, and it might help your wife. And I do not think that herceptin stopped working for her, Gemzar did. Since Tykerb/ Xeloda is not working, I think she could try Herceptin + other chemo (Nalvabine, Abraxane) or a clinical trial with Avastin. BTW, a second opinion will be very helpful.
I agree with Jojo that Caryn is very fortunate to have a supportive husband like you.
I hope and pray that she will find the right chemo soon. God bless both of you.
KarlaV.
........................................Please Read.............................................. ...................

TO ALL WONDERFUL WOMEN AND MEN OF THIS FANTASTIC SITE

I would like to take this opportunity to say hi and to thank all of you who, even without knowing, have been helping me a lot through my journey during the past 2 years. Above is my history for the first time. I do not post often, but I read your posts every day, and they are a great source of information, inspiration and hope for me. I do not know what I would have done without your help. I learned so much through all of you. You are all my hero, my support group, my family. Thanks a lot. You are all in my prayers.
I will try to post more often from now on.
Also, special thanks to Cristine and Joe for this wonderful and so helpful site.
God bless all of you.

Karla V.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
hutchibk

I agree that Herceptin and Tykerb are not necessarily out of the picture for your lovely wife! They can still be used in combo with many other different things. Especially Herceptin - please don't give up.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
saleboat

Eric,

I don't have much to add besides that I am under the impression that Sloan has some Her2+ drugs that are in trials and hopefully will be available and helpful to your wife.

My best,
Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Eric!
I agree that it might not be the herceptin that quit working but the chemo. When I first started Taxol & herceptin, after Adriamycin & Taxotere had no impact, I told my doctor that everything in me said that it would take some searching to find the right combination. I did put the decision in his hands, he is wonderful and so smart, but I just felt that I would need lots of trys. Perhaps the reason for my intuition was that as a kid they had trouble finding things that worked for me. I had rheumatic fever as a kid and went daily for antibiotics for 6 months to a year (can't remember anymore). Anyway, it has always taken lots of "whatever" to kill the disease, kill the pain, etc.
But anyway, I think those dastardly little cancer cells are so sneeky and so very different in each of us. Please be hopeful and creative about trying new things!
We'll all be cheering for you two to find just the right combination very, very quickly! I've learned from this batch of warriors that there is always one more thing to try, if we're willing!
Keep the faith and keep us informed.
Praying and believing for you both, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
eric

I thank you all for your responses. I am hopeful that herceptin will still be in the picture but I got nervous that the Tykerb didn't seem to work and since it targets 2 of the Her's rather than just her2 like herceptin it didn't bode well for either. Hopefully the Onc will agree that Herceptin should remain in the picture. I also forwarded him info about the her2 trials at Sloan so I'll see what he has to say tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great 4th!!

Love to all...Eric
Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
hutchibk

Eric, please keep in mind, too, that Tykerb may also not be out of the picture... it is still so very new and more trials are in the works for it to be used in other combos... and potentially WITH Herceptin and a chemo.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Cathya

Eric;

Have you been using the Serum Her2 test to monitor the effectiveness of Herceptin and Tykerb?

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
Becky

Dear Eric
I am sorry that Xeloda/Tykerb didn’t work for Caryn. None the less, Xeloda is not an effective drug for many women and by no means should you give up hope on this. It is very apparent however that a taxane with Herceptin did the trick before. Perhaps the weekly schedule dosing of Abraxane with Herceptin will work well. Lolly is using Abraxane (weekly) with Tykerb and it is going well too. You cannot make the assumption that Herceptin stopped working (just because when Caryn was using it alone she started to progress), she just needed alittle chemo assistance to help push it back again. You have tons of options left but a taxane worked well the first time!
<O
Also – what did you mean by “failure” – a lot of progression or just stable with no reduction of tumor load?
<O
I am thinking about you and if I come up with anything else, I’ll write. Big hug to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
eric

Well, met with the Onc and happily Caryn is going back onto Herceptin but this time with Taxotere.

Becky - by failure I was referring to Caryn's tumor markers going from the 40's to the 140's and most recently to the 240's. CT scans are planned but onc said that the rise in numbers mean cancer activity even if no progression in disease. Thank you for the continued thoughts...big higs coming your way as well. :-)

Cathya - Caryn's Onc is very skeptical of the Serum test and since the markers have been a pretty reliable tool for Caryn I haven't pushed the issue. Do you see any other reason that it may be worthwhile?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Odette

Hi Eric,

Here are some links that I was just studying today from the Chicago Oncology Conference.

I know these are still trials, but maybe you can use some of this info when talking to Caryn's Oncologist.

http://clinicaloptions.com/Oncology/...ules/1004.aspx

http://clinicaloptions.com/Oncology/...ules/1043.aspx

Best wishes,

Odette
June-August 2006 AC chemo
August-October 2006 Taxotere + Herceptin
November 18, 2006 Mastectomy 16 involved lymph nodes
Jan 2, 2007 start radiation
Stage IV, Jan 12, 2007 recurrence in cervical lymph nodes while on Herceptin, stopped Herceptin
Rad oncologist extended the radiation field, good response
Started Tykerb Xeloda on beginning of May 2007
Progression to lungs and conglomerate lymphadenopathy July 2007
Undecided about next treatment

'One does not get to choose one's adventures'

I'm experimenting with my diet, using green tea, flax seed curry and olive oil

Odette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Cathya

Eric;

My cancer is driven by estrogen and her2. I take arimidex for the estrogen and am currently off herceptin for heart reasons. I use this test as an indicator of when I should begin taking herceptin again....in the hopes that it will provide early information on possible metastises prior to a tumor actually developing. I am also intending to use it to see how effective herceptin actually is for me. If my Serum Her2 level drops (depending by what percentage) when I start taking hercepin this will indicate its effectiveness. I just had a test today and expect to begin herceptin shortly.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote