HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
Unregistered

Update on Brain Mets Options Research

I had my consultation with Dr. Keith Black at Cedars-Sinai yesterday. He's an impressive man. I'm not normally struck speechless, (as those of you who have met me well know!) But I had to concentrate to remember my questions.

He walked into the room fully briefed on my case, proceeded to outline what he felt was the best course of action for me. In my case given that I have on lesion that is 12mm on the cerebellum, he felt that X-Knife was my best option. X-Knife is Cedars-Sinai's version of Gamma Knife.

He did not recommend WBR at this point, when on to call it "outdated" protocol to give it this early in a patient's treatment. Cited the fact that it can have significant side effects in 15% of patients, and that it can be only done once.

He said X-Knife can be performed numerous times if new lesions appear, though not on the same location, just if new lesions did show up elsewhere. He said he has great success rates with his team's treatment of BC mets lesions, they seem to respond better than lesions of other origins.

He indicated that given my age, 44, physical condition, I snow ski, water ski, motorcycle ride, etc., the size of the lesion being small, and that there was only one, my chances were high that the lesion would be taken care of with the X-knife treatment alone.

He indicated an urgency in proceeding ahead, as he said, we couldn't be sure when the lesion began to grow. My husband and I looked at each other and said, "let's get it out!" Within 15 min. Dr. Black had the next member of his team come in, Dr. Yu who would perform the X-Knife procedure, Dr. Yu was fully briefed and had seen my MRI. Immediately after that, Dr. Black had the 3rd member of team, Dr. Hakimian lined up to see me, he would be the one to do all the prep work and work with Dr. Yu on the actual X-Knife procedure.

With barely time to breathe, I was then ushered into a special Contrast MRI, before being through for the day. The next step is I go in for the X-knife procedure, next week.

Oh, yeah.....Dr. Black assured me that I would be in tip-top shape to go on my ski trip to Telluride, CO leaving on the 3rd of Feb. I was thrilled that he totally got it, that life goes on and it's not all about cancer.

We joked about fitting in the X-knife procedure between Mammoth this week-end and Telluride on the 3rd of Feb.

We did not talk prognosis, as I don't believe in them. But I honestly felt that this procedure will work for me now, and that with Dr. Black on my team I would be prepared to deal with whatever Brain Mets issues would come my way in the future. And that is PRICELESS!

Thank you Joe and Christine for this website, I found out about Dr. Black from the pictures you posted. I feel prepared to deal with this now, and get on with enjoying life soon!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Esther

Previous post from Esther

That was not supposed to go on as unregistered, the previous post was from me.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

What is X-Knife? Is this same as cyber-knife?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Unregistered

Ignore my last question...I just read your post again....X-Knife is Gamma Knife
Old 01-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Esther

Dr. Black indicated that X-Knife, Cyber-Knife, and Gamma-Knife were all just different brand versions of the same type of procedure.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
pattyz

Ester!
I am just delighted to hear this!!!

My first pre-SRS treatment Mri showed that there was an additional small brain met to be treated, along with the single first detected 1.5cm tumor. This is not uncommon with the additional slices of film/extra contrast. So, I mention it as only a 'head's up'.

Your energy, enthusiasim and spirit just LEAP out of your post... and just wanted to say: Good for you!!!

hugs,
pattyz
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
StephN

Wink Great "find"

As you mentioned - having the confidence in who is going to be tampering with your brain is the ALL-important ingredient to getting comfortable with this procedure. There are plenty of competent docs and neuros, but feeling that they really ARE a team makes a big difference, I found.
So glad you are getting on with it and looking beyond this little temporary slow-down.
As I mentioned to you already, I was out driving around in the city the next day after having my two tumors "knifed." There really is nothing they do that needs any recovery time - just have to let the tumor die and be absorbed and that is that.

There may be some discomfort after they take off the headframe, but a mild pain pill helped me sleep through that first night and was not needed again.

All the best wishes coming you way!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Barbara H.

This is great news. I'm glad you are actually getting it taken care of before your trip.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
tammymarie1971

Esther..I love the way you tackle things...this is a great testimony to the rest of us, although I do think that most of us are fairly optimistic and realistic at the same time.

I'm sure these doctors want to do the very best they can because they realize very little is going to get in your way!!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote