HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Liz J.

Question Alternatives to Fosamax

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone has an alternative to using fosamax. I was prescribed this several months ago as I was told that the post menopausal/arimidex status would cause osteo. Fortunately, so far my bone density has been ok. I keep reading about the possible side effects of fosamax and have not taken it yet. Just getting concerned that it will catch up with me. I take calcium supplements. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
suzan w

Smile

I took actonel because fosomax upset my stomach, but then after my dx, because my treatments are hard on the bones, my onc. put me back on fosomax(she thinks it is a little more effective) I had been diagnosed with severe osteoporosis in 1999...all my DEXA scans are horrid and I had all sorts of testing done at the time ('99) to see why my bones are so bad...nothing conclusive, except they felt that I had probably never achieved a 'good bone mass' as I was growing up??? Anyway...I used to get mad that I was going to get old and break my hip and blah blah blah...now I HOPE I do get OLD!!! Bring it on!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Jean

Hi Liz,

I was on Arimidex, then after chemo I am now on Femara.
When I started Armidex had a bone density test and I had
a very slight bone loss, osteopenia. I have been taking
Actonel since - have had a small improvement in bone
that was noted on recent bone density.

Hope this helps you.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
astrid

I just started taking Fosamax with no side effects. I am 49 years old. Fosamax is different from calcium. Osteoporosis actually causes your bones to thin and the density to weaken, creating holes in your bones, so fractures are more likely. Bones are continually being rebuilt, Fosamax helps build new bone mass. During Osteoporosis bone is removed or reabsorbed faster than it grows.

http://patients.uptodate.com/print.asp?print=true&file=endocrin/4619 <O></O>
astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
astrid

When estrogen levels fall, bone density (strength) starts to decline, and, over time, a woman can develop osteoporosis and even fractures. Several alternatives to HRT can help keep bones strong and even partially reverse osteoporosis, but effective treatment for established osteoporosis usually requires the combination of a supplemented diet, lifestyle changes, and medication.

Calcium — Calcium is an essential component of bones, and dietary calcium can help strengthen bones in postmenopausal women. However, calcium supplements alone cannot reliably prevent osteoporosis. All postmenopausal women should be sure to get 1500 mg of calcium each day. To get this amount of calcium, most women will need to eat a well-balanced diet and take a daily supplement that contains 1000 mg of calcium, usually in the form of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, or an equivalent calcium compound.

Vitamin D — Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and incorporate calcium into bone. It is therefore also important for bone strength. Many older adults, particularly those over 70 years, have vitamin D deficiencies. Postmenopausal women under the age of 70 years should get at least 400 IU of vitamin D each day in their diet or with a vitamin supplement. Women over 70 years should take 800 IU of vitamin D. Some calcium supplements include vitamin D; patients should read the label to know the amount included.

Exercise — Bones remain stronger when they are used in day-to-day activities, and inactivity increases the rate of postmenopausal bone loss. At least 30 minutes of weight-bearing exercise three times a week can reduce this loss. Weight-bearing exercise includes activities such as walking, aerobics, or tennis, but does not include bicycling or swimming.

Alendronate, risedronate, and ibandronate — Alendronate (Fosamax), risedronate (Actonel), and ibandronate (Boniva) are prescribed for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. They are able to prevent and reverse bone loss as effectively as estrogen
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Lolly

Good web site from University of Washington:

Osteoporosis and Bone Physiology
http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/ophome.html
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Grace

For Susan

Some recent research indicates that GERD medications may cause bone loss. Also, steroids cause bone loss but I'm sure you know about that. I've been on prevacid and prilosec for years now, and won't go off as the discomfort is too great. Anyway, in case you didn't know about the GERD medications.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Liz J.

Thank you

Hi all HER 2 family,

I appreciate the responses. Some great info. And to Grace, I didn't know about the GERD meds or steriods. I have also been on Nexium and now switched to Prilosec and this has been for years as well. I also take a steriod inhaler daily due to COPD. It looks like I should start staying more on top of things. I see you reside in Manhattan. I live in Brooklyn New York and work in lower Manhattan. Maybe the GERD thing is from the stress of City life (lol).
Thanks again to all.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote