HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
StephN

Wink Expert Oncologists on How to Manage StageIV

HELLO! This message came to me today via email. Too bad the photo of Drs. Rugo and Winer is not there.

Consensus or Controversy: Lincoln-Sudbury High grads Eric and Hope comment on HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer

View in browser Like Tweet Forward

One of my favorite moments during our recent 4-city Year in Review (YIR) CME tour occurred in New York when GI investigator Dr Alan Venook revealed a little-known fact — namely that the prior 2 speakers participating in the breast cancer module, Drs Hope Rugo and Eric Winer, went to high school together. I later learned that the academic institution these noted investigators attended was Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School outside of Boston and that Eric — who was a year ahead — knew Hope through her brother, who was his classmate. An avid cyclist, Eric still regularly rides his bike past the house where Hope grew up.

Dr Venook, who had been listening in on the meeting before taking the stage, commented on the “spirited interplay” he observed between the 2 former Lincoln-Sudbury Warriors, which from our perspective made for edu-tainment at its finest. So much so that for this issue of Consensus or Controversy we attempt to recreate that dynamic for those of you who were not there by comparing the perspectives of these former classmates to those of the CoC faculty that included Hope. The topic is the most dynamic current corner of solid tumor oncology — management of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (HER2+ mBC). Here are the major questions addressed:

1. What are the current standard first- and second-line anti-HER2 treatments for HER2+ mBC?
Over the past 18 months, clinical treatment for these patients has undergone an unprecedented, dramatic and rapid transformation. First, the CLEOPATRA study evaluating a taxane (docetaxel), trastuzumab and pertuzumab (THP) demonstrated a remarkable 6-month prolongation of progression-free survival with a 0.62 hazard ratio, a survival advantage and minimal additional toxicity. As a result, THP instantly became standard treatment first line in the investigator community. However, a more gradual adoption of this approach occurred in general oncology practice, and even as recently as 6 months ago postactivity evaluations conducted after our live CME meetings revealed that a significant fraction of audience members walked out of the room with a new clinical algorithm.

In that same vein, the EMILIA trial cemented ado-trastuzumab emtansine (T-DM1) as the unquestioned second-line treatment among investigators when it was approved in February 2013, but the widespread adoption of this fascinating antibody-drug conjugate as second-line therapy continues.

In discussing this paradigm shift Hope and Eric referred to an upcoming ASCO guideline that will include discussion of the critical issue of sequencing the many current options available for these patients. However, 100% of the CoC faculty agree with the primary algorithm of THP followed by T-DM1.

2. What is the optimal initial systemic treatment for a patient with ER-positive/HER2-positive metastatic disease?
Like many friends, Drs Rugo and Winer don’t always agree, and during our YIR meeting the two made no attempt to hide their different approaches to these patients with challenging “double-positive” disease. Hope finds the CLEOPATRA benefit quite compelling and virtually always starts with this strategy, pointing out that the commitment to chemotherapy (with pertuzumab and trastuzumab) is limited (for her, 6 cycles) and patients can then be followed on both antibodies and an endocrine treatment.

Eric has no problem with Hope’s approach, particularly for symptomatic patients, but he more often combines a hormone with anti-HER2 treatment — for now trastuzumab but maybe in the future also pertuzumab if benefit is observed in the ongoing randomized Phase II PERTAIN trial that compares trastuzumab with an aromatase inhibitor alone or with pertuzumab.

Both of these sentiments are reflected in the CoC investigator comments (which are well worth the read). However, visceral involvement and the presence of symptoms push many more to THP, and all will go to that strategy first in symptomatic patients with visceral metastases.

3. Two practical issues
• Is it reasonable to combine pertuzumab and T-DM1 outside a protocol setting?

Like virtually all breast cancer clinical investigators, Drs Rugo and Winer agree that the temptation to try this provocative approach should be completely resisted for the simple reason that we lack sufficient safety or efficacy data.

• Is it reasonable to utilize pertuzumab in later lines of treatment than the current indication of first line?
There is also consensus that later-line therapy is likely to provide benefit and that the only obstacle to allowing any patient with HER2+ mBC to access this therapy at least once relates to regulatory or reimbursement issues.

It should be duly noted that neither Hope nor Eric is identified as a notable Lincoln-Sudbury alumnus on the school’s website, but as always they will be among the most visible leaders next week during the annual San Antonio spectacular. In this regard, Eric’s team will be reporting on the adjuvant trastuzumab/paclitaxel trial in node-negative HER2-positive disease and Hope will unveil an I-SPY2 TRIAL (Investigation of Serial Studies to Predict Your Therapeutic Response with Imaging And moLecular Analysis 2) neoadjuvant data set.

And if you find yourself in the city by the river Wednesday night, sign up for our annual CME satellite adventure where these and other compelling issues of the day will be discussed and debated.

Neil Love, MD
Research To Practice
Miami, Florida

Research To Practice is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.

Research To Practice designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

This activity is supported by educational grants from Genentech BioOncology, Genomic Health Inc and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.

Research To Practice | 2 South Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 3600 | Miami, FL 33131

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 12-06-2013 at 01:08 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Expert Oncologists on How to Manage StageIV

Thanks, StephN. Here's Dr. Hope's picture: http://profiles.ucsf.edu/hope.rugo

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 12-06-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Jackie07

Re: Expert Oncologists on How to Manage StageIV

And Dr. Winer's picture: http://researchers.dana-farber.org/d...ict_id=0000262

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote