HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
lisamalone

breast cancer+noncalcified nodules in lungs

i was diagnosed in nov.2005 with IDC.right breast removed in dec 05. chemo started in jan 06.i had a CT scan of my chest yesterday got the results today, pulmonary parenchymal demonstrates a less then 1cm noncalcified nodular density in th anterior aspect of the right mid lung field. i have been referred to a thorasic surgeon. is anyone familiar with this? i just received my 5th of 6 chemo treatments today. i just learned breast cancer lingo and i am not familiar with the lung jargon.can anyone shed light on this? i would apprreciate any input.

lisa m.
lisamalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Lani

from my reading

If the lesion is >3mm it should show up on a PET--a PET/ CT is best(PET and CT are done simultaneously so they can determine in 3 dimensions where it is lighting up, if it is). The thoracic surgeon may order that in order to see if there is increased glucose consumption in the nodule, which would be the case if it is an infection or tumor. If it does not it could be the residual of an old asymptomic problem and nothing to worry about. If it is near a large airway they could try to biopsy it. But I would think the noninvasive investigation would be tried first, as it might avoid the surgery (usually done with a fiberoptic scope, I think) Many areas far out in the tree of airways are not easily biopsied it seems.

Many people have little nodules in their lungs. My pulmonary doctor said he had some himself which have never amounted to anything. The problem is when they are <3mm, because then the PET won 't pick them up and all one can do is wait 3 mos. and repeat the test to see if they get bigger, stay the same or disappear (the latter being hard to say, as, if the nodules were small and they did not take the cuts in the exact same place when the 2 CTs were done. they might be missed)

Hope this helps.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
jmihay

When my breast cancer metastasized to my lungs, my oncologist and I followed a something in my chest for about 2 years till I insisted on having a PET scan - (medicare didn't cover them for another 4 months). We discovered that while there was metastasis in my lungs it was not the something we had been following. What we had been following was was calcified or dead. Since then I only rely on PET scans. I have had two of the new combined tests and if they have new equiPment, like the last one I had, it's like having a Physical - kidney stones and other Problems I didn't know I had showed uP but the metastasis was gone. The CAt is great for telling you where it is, but the PET is the only one which will tell you if it is active. At least that has been my exPerience.
Joan
jmihay is offline   Reply With Quote