HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #21
TiffanyS

Re: Cracking Cancer....A Cdn production but I believe something similar is done at Ya

Hi Cathy, I was on tamoxifen for a short time after finishing my first round of chemo, however I had to go off of it once I started my second round of chemo. Apparently, it interferes with chemo. My oncologist did mentioned giving me another drug after I went off chemo again, however, after my CT scan results, that won’t be happening.

As I have to work full time in order the pay the bills, I can’t be traveling back and forth to BC for treatment. I’ll see if there’s a study closer to home.

I mentioned Metformin to my oncologist before, and she advised that it only works for people who are HER II negative, and has no benefit for people who are HER II positive, like me. Was Zuri Scrivins cancer HER II negative?

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled for end of month.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #22
TiffanyS

Re: Cracking Cancer....A Cdn production but I believe something similar is done at Ya

Paul, I don’t think you are paranoid at all. When my aunt had ovarian cancer, she did a lot of research into cancer drugs, and was surprised at how many of them were suppressed by the insurance companies. She even wrote a book about it. She’s since passed away, and only family and friends have read her book, but it was an interesting read. We have the same problem here in Canada. In order to get T-DM1, I have to take Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxol first, which I feel is doing nothing for me. When I asked to change to T-DM1, I was told that once I do that, if it doesn’t work, I can’t go back Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxol because our health care won’t pay for it. It’s all so political, and it shouldn’t be!

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled for end of month.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #23
TiffanyS

Hi Cathy, I followed up with my doctor yesterday in regard to the genetic testing, and asked when I could expect an appointment for my blood tests. It turns out that this test does not require a blood test, and that she sent a sample of tissue from my tumour to Foundation One. Apparently they only do this test for free for 10 patients every year, and I was lucky to have been selected for these test. My doctor actually got the test results yesterday, and she printed a copy for me to read, and said we would discuss these results at my next appointment in two weeks. I gave the report a quick overview yesterday (it’s quite long) and it found 11 genomic alterations (mutations), 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit (medication that might help against 3 of these mutations), and 13 clinical trials from which that I might benefit. I ask my doctor if there were any clinical trials I could participate in now, and she advised that it’s too early to put me in a trial, as right now, my current treatment plan is working (although not as well as I would like it to), and, once it stops working, I still have to try T-DM1. So, for now, it looks like a trial is out for me, however, we will discuss adding one of the three recommended medications to my treatment plan next week. At least I know there are a few clinical trials available to me if/when the time comes.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –awaiting results
05/17 – Full Body CT Scan Scheduled to see if I’m still stable
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #24
Cathya

Tiffany;

That's great. Adding one of these medications to your current treatment sounds like a very good idea. I'm so glad you got those results so quickly. Please keep us informed. Which province do you live in. Each one offers slightly different care. By the way, my tissue was used vs blood as well. Also, please find out why you are not getting any anti-hormone treatment.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Last edited by Cathya; 03-22-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #25
TiffanyS

Hi Cathy, I live in Ontario. I’m not sure if my oncologist will add these medications yet, as they are hormone therapy drugs, and she told me that these types of medications interfere with chemo. That’s why I had to go off of Tamoxifen when I started chemo again. The recommended drugs are Everolimus and Palbociclib, and I may have to wait until I’m done with chemo to take these drugs, if that ever happens.

I’m not getting any anti-hormone treatment because I’m currently getting Taxol, and apparently anti-hormone treatments interferes with how well Taxol works. I can’t take these types of drugs while I’m on chemo. If I ever go off of chemo, my doctor will add an anti-hormone drug to my treatment plan.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #26
donocco

Tiffany
\
Ive never heard of Tamoxifen and chemo interfering with each other. Particularly Tamoxifen interfering with Taxol. The two drugs have nothing in common as far as mechanism of action goes. Its usually the other way around ie other drugs interfere with Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen is a prodrug and becoomes an active metabolite in the body via the liver enzyme Cyp2D6. If a drug inhibits this enzyme it will decrease the action of Tamoxifen ie Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Buproprion (Wellbutrin). Ill check out Tamoxifen and Chemo.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #27
TiffanyS

Thanks for the info Paul. I’ll talk about it when I see my doctor again in two weeks. All I know is when I started chemo for the second time, I was told to stop taking Tamoxifen because it will interfere with chemo. I never questioned this as I assumed the doctor would know best. We are going to discuss Everolimus and Palbociclib in two weeks, and I may start one of these drugs.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #28
donocco

Tiffany

That is what I was going to suggest. There may well be some new clinical info out. I checked and really couldnt find anything significant. Taxol is metabolized by Cyp2C8 (not sure about the C but sure about the 8) and Tamoxifen is Cyp2D6.

The only thing I found in Pubmed was very very theoretical. There is a protein called Microtubule Activating Protein-Tau or MAPT. This protein interferes with the action of the Taxanes. In the test tube, Tamoxifen will increase the concentration of this Taxane inhibiting protein while Faslodex decreases it. This is so theoretical though. No harm in asking.

Paul
Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #29
TiffanyS

Thanks for the info Paul. I feel like I should send you my test results from my genetic testing, so that you can explain it to me. I don’t understand half of the terminology!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Got my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #30
donocco

Tiffany

The Email I usually use is Donocco5w4@aol.com. You could e mail me the info. Or Ill give you my home address and you could just mail it. I dont want to imply an expertise I dont have. Im a pharmacist not a pathologist. Yet I have enough background info to look up what I dont understand.

Paul
Old 03-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #31
TiffanyS

Hi Paul, that is very kind of you. The report is quite long though, and I don’t want to impose on your time. I’ll be discussing it with my doctor when I see her in two weeks, and should understand more then, however, if I have any questions after talking to her, I’ll be sure to ask for your assistance.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
05/17 – Full body CT scan scheduled to see if I’m still “stable”.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #32
donocco

Tiffany

Thats sounds like a plan. If something is unclear Ill do some research for you. You arent imposing so dont worry

Paul
Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #33
TiffanyS

Thanks Paul. That’s much appreciated.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 AM   #34
TiffanyS

Cathy, I have a question for you. When you got the results of your genetic tests, how many mutations did you have? I was reading my results again on the weekend, and I find 11 mutations to be a lot. Is this the norm for cancer patients, or am I out of the ordinary? I don’t see my doctor again until next Tuesday, so I thought I’d ask here in case I could get an answer a head of time.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #35
Cathya

Tiffany;

I was tested for BRCA1 and 2 and was told I had this VUS. No others were mentioned. I expect you had a more thorough test than I. I already had had both breast cancer and ovarian. They said that I would always be closely watched but wanted to find out if my children or any other family members should be tested. In your case they are looking for treatment options.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #36
TiffanyS

Thanks Cathy. I think the Foundation One tests are more specific. I thought I’d ask though, in the event that you did other genetic tests.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #37
TiffanyS

I discussed the results of the genetic testing done by Foundation One with my oncologist while at my clinic yesterday. She told me that, unfortunately, the results can’t help us in any way now, as the drugs that are recommended in the test results are all still in the trial phase, however, they will come in handy down the road when I’ve exhausted all current treatment options. These test results may offer me an opportunity to participate in a trial, provided it’s offered in my area, and may even guarantee me a spot. So, until then, there is nothing new that can be done for me. I did ask again about the POG trial, and why it’s only be offering in BC, and she advised that Foundation One got the funding in BC through donations, and that’s why it’s only being offered there. They don’t have the money to offer it elsewhere in Canada.

I also asked my doctor why I wasn’t on any anti-hormone treatment, and she told me it was because I was getting chemo, and that I shouldn’t take both at the same time. If I go off of chemo, she will then put me on an anti-hormone treatment.

12/15 – First mammogram
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months). I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment due to liver enzymes being high.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there is improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –NED!
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing