HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
TiffanyS

For how long can you get chemo?

I was just wondering for how long a person can get chemo without suffering from serious side-effects? I was talking to a women at my clinic on Tuesday, and she’s been getting a low dose of chemo for almost three years. She had colon cancer, which went away after treatment, and then a year later they found a liver met. So far she’s stable, but she needs to get chemo every three weeks for the rest of her life. Even with neupogen, she caught a cold just before the holidays, and ended up in the hospital on Christmas day with a fever. I can’t help but wonder if being on chemo for that long can have other, serious side-effects? I am currently taking Perjeta and Herceptin with Taxol, but I’m supposed to stop the Taxol around the end of February. I’m concerned, however, that the Perjeta and Herceptin won’t work without the Taxol, and that I will have to continue taking the Taxol for an indefinite amount of time. I get neuropathy in my feet from the chemo, and I’m worried that I won’t be able to walk if I have to continue with Taxol long term. What’s the longest that any of you have been on chemo, and what, if any, side-effects did you experience?

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
Mtngrl

Re: For how long can you get chemo?

Tiffany,

Like everything else, it's highly individual.

When I first joined my cancer support group in 2011 I met a woman who had HER2+ inflammatory breast cancer. She had been getting Taxol and Herceptin continually for 10 years at that point. As far as I know she still is.

Yes, chemo can suppress the immune system and cause side effects. But cancer can/will kill you.

In my case I toggle back and forth between "just" antibodies and chemo. I do think it's good to rest up from chemo. But on some of my cancer, only chemo seems able to touch it. I'm taking a long view here, and trying to balance quality of life with cancer control.

Hope that helps.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
Pamelamary

Tiffany,
If I may say, you are spending a lot of time focusing on the negatives. I guess that is natural when you are recently diagnosed. Remember that for we Her2 women, the Herceptin/ Pertuzumab treatment has often worked wonders. At this stage just concentrate on getting through the taxane and hope you can achieve the magic "stable" on these targetted treatments. When I was first diagnosed with liver mets, I was given 8 months by Dr. Google - clearly wrong. none of us can know what is going to happen, but hope is real.
Best wishes..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
TiffanyS

Thanks Amy and Pam. The reason I’m asking these questions is because if the pimple along my chest wall turns out to be cancer, then that tells me it grew back during my chemo break, and that the Herceptin/Perjeta are not working on their own. Right now I’m supposed to finish with the Taxol at the end of February, however, I have a feeling that my doctor will prolong the Taxol for an indefinite amount of time if this pimple turns out to be cancer. I just don’t know if I can handle that much more Taxol, unless they can either lower my dosage, or give me something for the side effects. Between the neuropathy, shortness of breath, light-headedness, diarrhea (although I think this is cause by the Perjeta, not the chemo), etc., it’s getting harder and harder for me to continue to live my life like a normal person. I still go to work every day, but I don’t know for how much longer I’ll be able to work if these side-effects keep up. It’s also getting harder to constantly try to avoid sick people, since it’s cold and flu season, however, I need to work and I need to take the subway to get to work. That being said, I guess I don’t have much of a choice, and if this is what I have to do to get “stable”, than then is what I have to do. I’m just happy that I have the TDM-1 as a back-up drug, and, if it turns out that the Herceptin and Perjeta are not working without the chemo, I may push for that drug.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Pamelamary

Tiffany, when will you get results on the biopsy? No wonder you are struggling if you have to work as well as deal with Taxol. How long was your chemo break? It might be hard to link cause and effect here. I hope the shrinkage continues and everything settles down.
Best wishes..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
TiffanyS

Hi Pam, they haven’t biopsied the pimple yet. My oncologist was going to arrange for a surgeon to come by my appointment tomorrow to cut it off and have it tested. My chemo break was from December 6 to January 10. Before December 6, everything looked good, and the small masses on my chest, along my scar, had shrunk. I also had a CT scan on December 12, and the results didn’t show anything along my scar-line. On Christmas night, I noticed a small pimple growing right beside one of the red marks where one of my masses used to be. It hasn’t grown since then, but it hasn’t shrunk either. I asked my doctor if it was possible for the cancer to grow back between December 6 and December 25, and she said in most cases no, but, given how aggressive my cancer is, yes. She wanted to keep an eye on it to see if it grows, but I’d rather know if it’s cancer now, so she agreed to biopsy the area. If it is cancer, then we know that as soon as I go off of the Taxol, the cancer comes back. If that is the case, I would like to transfer to the TDM-1, however, she told me that even if it’s cancer, she wants to continue with my current treatment.

So far, I’ve been able to work while taking Taxol, however, the neuropathy in my feet, as well as the foot spasms, are getting worse with each treatment, as is my shortness of breath. They lowered my dosage to 75% just before Christmas, which helped, but, if I have to take Taxol long term, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to work full time, as I won’t be able to put on my shoes. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I’m hoping that it’s just a pimple, however, what are the chances that a pimple would grow right beside where the mass used to be.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Emy

I was on weekly taxol for 2.5 years..also getting herceptin and perjeta every three weeks..my neuropathy in my feet was really bad...then ned...now 2 years on just herceptin and perjeta
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
TiffanyS

Emy, I’m not sure how you managed to take Taxol every week for two and a half years, however, I guess it was worth it for you, since you are now NED. Since last March, I’ve had five doses of Docetaxel, six doses of Carboplatin and 12 doses of Taxol, and I have to say, I’m not sure how much more chemo I can take! I’m lucky in that I don’t get sick, weak or tired from the chemo, but I get bad neuropathy in my feet, constant foot and leg spasms, shortness of breath that’s getting worse with each treatment, and really bad diarrhea (although I think this is from the Perjeta, not the chemo). My side effects are usually at their worst on the Thursday after getting Taxol, and last night, I woke up four times in the middle of the night because I felt a leg spasm coming on. Fortunately, I woke up in time to walk the spasms off, but I’m tired today from the lack of sleep! My shortness of breath is also getting worse with each treatment, and sometimes I can’t breathe even while sitting. My doctor gave me a puffer, but it doesn’t work, and the Pregabalin she gave me for the neuropathy doesn’t seem to be working as well as it did when she first gave it to me. Right now the plan is to take chemo until the end of March, and, if the results of my CT chest scan, which I’m getting on March 13, are good, then I can stop the Taxol. If not, I’ll be continuing with the Taxol until June, which is when my next full body CT scan is scheduled. I’m hoping for the best, but expecting the worst!

12/15 – First mammogram
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled
Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Emy

My feet got so bad that i had drop.foot and lost 70 percent of the function of my feet...i figured my life was more important than my feet..so i used a shopping cart to walk..now they are better..for muscle cramps take a magnesium supplement...if you take supplements you can get through it and stay alive...my friends that have stopped chemo or stopped supplements have all passed away...you need to stay strong and regimentef with one goal to stay alive..i was afraid to come off taxol ..but still ned
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
TiffanyS

I will stay on chemo for as long as I have to. I just hope that I don’t get drop foot (never heard of this before), as I still work full time, and I need to work in order to pay the bills. I worked part time during my first round of chemo and radiation, and when I came back full time after treatment, my short term disability hadn’t run out. When I had my cancer recurrence and wanted to go onto long term disability on a part time basis, I didn’t qualify because I had come back to work before my short term expired. I don’t qualify for short term again though, as it’s considered the same condition. So, that means I have to work for a living or go on government assistance, which I don’t want to do, unless my work extends my short term disability. I actually like working full time, and, right now, I’m making it work, however, if I ever get to the point where I can’t walk anymore, I won’t be able to get to work, which will be a big problem for me. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!

I have been taking magnesium supplements for years for muscle cramps. They help a little bit, but, with each treatment I get, the less they work. I had a four week chemo break over Christmas, and, if I have to continue getting chemo after the end of March, I’ll get another break at the end of April, as I’m going to Europe. I was originally told I’d be done with chemo by the end of January, so I went ahead and booked two trips to Europe for this year (with my doctor’s approval). As I had to cancel my last trip to Europe because of my cancer recurrence, I told my doctor I would not be cancelling this one unless it’s life or death. She told me that I don’t need to cancel, and that I’ll just get another four week Taxol break while I’m gone.

Did your doctor ever lower your dosage of Taxol during the two and a half years you were on it, or did he/she ever give you a break? When my neuropathy got really bad, my doctor reduced my dosage to 75%, which helped, and I’m wondering if she’ll reduce it more if I have to continue with Taxol after March. Also, why did your doctor wait two and a half years before taking you off Taxol? Is that how long it took for you to become NED? My last scans were in December, and they showed improvement to my lungs and chest, but, the cancer is still there. I’m wondering if my doctor is going to wait for me to be NED before she decides to take me off the Taxol. I have to admit, as much as I want to be done with chemo, I am a little scared to go off of it. I’m worried that the Perjeta/Herceptin won’t work without it. I’m glad that it’s been working for you for the last two years.

12/15 – First mammogram
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled