HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
LaDonna28

Nipple issue - radiation effect or cancer reoccurrence?

Trying not to worry, but am a little concerned. I noticed a dark spot on my nipple about a week ago. It was like a little blood scab that was tucked inside my nipple like between the pores. There was another one today. My armpit is swollen and have been this way for about a month. I did see my breast surgeon about the swelling and she did an ultra sound and didn't see anything. But since then I have had these blood scabs (I am thinking they have some blood in it as of the color). They are small, one being a little bigger then an ink pen point.
My radiation was completed in January. My whole nipple feels a little thicker than the other one. You can read my history below.
Anyone had this issue? Thanks my Her2 ladies.....
Diagnostic Mammogram July 10, 2014
Steriactic Biopsy July 15, 2014
July 21 given diagnosis DCIS and IDC upper, Outer quadrant of right breast
ER Pos >95%. PR Pos 90%, HER-2-neu positive (score +3) Grade 3
Breast surgeon on July 29, 2014 says 2 cm
MRI states only mild to moderate bilateral physiologic background parenchymal enhancement with uptake on intermammary nodes
BRCA tests all negative :)
August 8 port placement. Lung partially collapsed. On oxygen until further notice
August 9, '14 started TCPH therapy with nuelasta shots. 6 cycles @ 3 weeks
5th treatment T and C dosages lowered due to bad neuropathy
6th and last TCPH changed to PH only for Dec 1st
Lumpectomy and node biopsy Dec 2
100% complete response from TCPH neoadjuvent therapy: tumor completely gone-dead cells only. Node completely free of ANY cells. Staged at 0! Margins clear from 4mm-10mm from dead cells.
2 week period following surgery went in for draining of Hematoma that filled surgery void area in breast 3 times
Continued with Herceptin only December 22, 2014 @ 3 weeks until ???
Started radiation Jan. 7, 2015 plan is for 16-20 rads
january 25th 2015 last radiation completed. Stopped at 16 due to Seroma (void in breast is filled with fluid)
January 30 Tamoxifan started
Still on oxygen, tamoxifen side effects kicking my butt. Seeing a gastro dr. due to a lot of stomach issues.
July 2015 - 3D mammogram nervous as all hell - but came back clean!!!! YEAAH
March 2016 - only using oxygen at night! Stomach issues better and trying to wean off the heartburn meds. Am hoping to get reconstructive done Jan 2017.
LaDonna28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Lien

Re: Nipple issue - radiation effect or cancer reoccurrence?

Hmm. Hard to tell what that could be. You seem to have responded to therapy very well and your prognosis should be quite good. I have a strange spongelike mass on my nipple that suddenly appeared about 6 years ago, which was 5 years after diagnosis. As no doctor could figure out what it was, we decided to wait and watch. It has been sitting there all this time and hasn't grown.

If you are worried, go back to your doctor and ask them to investigate. I know that for the first couple of years I worried about everything, but now I've come to accept that my body sometimes does weird things.

It's probably nothing, but worth checking out for your peace of mind.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
LaDonna28

Jacqueline,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I worry more than I should because I originally wanted to do a bi-lateral but didn't due to how crappy I felt after the treatments. After hearing the aggressiveness of Her2 and it being a GRADE 3, the reocurrance rate is higher than I would like. I have already dealt with colon cancer when I was 39 and cancer runs rampant in my family. (Both parents, grandparents - except one from heart attack in 40's, all Aunts and several great aunts and uncles.)
I was hoping to hear that someone had similar symptoms from the radiation, but your situation has helped ease my mind.
Thanks,
LaDonna
Diagnostic Mammogram July 10, 2014
Steriactic Biopsy July 15, 2014
July 21 given diagnosis DCIS and IDC upper, Outer quadrant of right breast
ER Pos >95%. PR Pos 90%, HER-2-neu positive (score +3) Grade 3
Breast surgeon on July 29, 2014 says 2 cm
MRI states only mild to moderate bilateral physiologic background parenchymal enhancement with uptake on intermammary nodes
BRCA tests all negative :)
August 8 port placement. Lung partially collapsed. On oxygen until further notice
August 9, '14 started TCPH therapy with nuelasta shots. 6 cycles @ 3 weeks
5th treatment T and C dosages lowered due to bad neuropathy
6th and last TCPH changed to PH only for Dec 1st
Lumpectomy and node biopsy Dec 2
100% complete response from TCPH neoadjuvent therapy: tumor completely gone-dead cells only. Node completely free of ANY cells. Staged at 0! Margins clear from 4mm-10mm from dead cells.
2 week period following surgery went in for draining of Hematoma that filled surgery void area in breast 3 times
Continued with Herceptin only December 22, 2014 @ 3 weeks until ???
Started radiation Jan. 7, 2015 plan is for 16-20 rads
january 25th 2015 last radiation completed. Stopped at 16 due to Seroma (void in breast is filled with fluid)
January 30 Tamoxifan started
Still on oxygen, tamoxifen side effects kicking my butt. Seeing a gastro dr. due to a lot of stomach issues.
July 2015 - 3D mammogram nervous as all hell - but came back clean!!!! YEAAH
March 2016 - only using oxygen at night! Stomach issues better and trying to wean off the heartburn meds. Am hoping to get reconstructive done Jan 2017.
LaDonna28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Lisalou

Radiation can cause skin thickening. But get it checked out anyway
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
2/14/14 BRCA results negative
2/17/2014 skin & nipple sparing BMX with reconstruction Tissue expanders placed
IDC Stage 2A left breast. 9mm tumor no other CA 1/4 nodes positive
ER + PR + Her2 +(by FISH)
Right breast no cancer, sclerosing adenosis
3/13/14 Round 1 AC minimal side effects
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
4/10/14 Round 3 a little more nausea
4/24/14 round 4 hurray! Done with phase 1!
5/8/14 THP ( taxol weekly x12, Herceptin & perjeta every 3 weeks x 4)
7/24/14 done with chemo
Continue of Herceptin every 3 wks x 1 yr
5/14 start Tamoxifen x 5 years
8/18/14 removal of TEs silicone implants placed
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!
12/17/14 nip & tuck revision of Left breast

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lisalou is offline   Reply With Quote