HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
rinaina

failed reconstruction following prophylactic mastectomy

Anyone else experience failed diep following double mastectomy? Had surgery on 10/17/14 and a little over a week later found myself back in the OR for deriding of necrotic tissue and lost all of the right flap and left with a huge open wound and a small wound on left breast. The left healed well and the right is still healing but very small with the help of a wound vac preceded by a few different dressings and prescription ointments and dressings. Researched my choice of plastic surgeons and chose one based on friends and drs recommendations after consulting with 2. I was so sick with high fevers and wounds which has now left me feeling insecure about future surgeries to correct the failed reconstruction. My left breast only needs a reduction and lift but the right breast would require more, tissue taken from my back, healing, an expander, implant if expansion is successful. So fearful of failure again but don't want to end up looking like this forever. Any thoughts, suggestion or input.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Dakini52

Re: failed reconstruction following prophylactic mastectomy

I had a failed expander input. Developed sepsis and landed in the hospital with a 106 degree temperature. I believe that event took more out of me than all the chemo and treatments I had up to that point. I decided I would be happy with my one breast and not do any more surgery. It's a personal decision and each of us have to weigh what the risk is against what the reward is.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Hongdo

Hi, I also had a failed DIEP flap reconstruction this year (in June). It was on the left side and was a delayed reconstruction after having a mastectomy in jan 2013. I was incredibly disappointed and, like you, my only choice now is tissue from my back and an expander. I am planning of having that done in sept 2015 - once I have healed properly. I am also worried about another failure but must accept that it's possible but worth a go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I understand that DIEP failure is not common - but you are not alone in this and have my sympathy x
Aug '12: started 6 rounds FEC T chemo with herceptin to start with the T part
Jan'13 mastectomy left side
April '13 NED - started radiotherapy
June '14 Failed DIEP :(
Oct '14 MRI - NED - herceptin and tamoxifen long term
Hongdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Deb33

I had a failed implant due to infection a couple of years ago. My PS made me wait 8 months before he would reconstruct with a lat flap from my back along with skin. The end result looks good but the surgery is pretty intense - very similar to the mastec - drains, limited movement, etc. BUT I love having 2 breasts - numb and scarred but still make me feel a little more "normal". Take your time - let yourself heal and interview docs and their patients. You'll know the right path to take.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Hongdo

Pleased that you eventually got breasts you are happy with. I am so nervous about going through surgery again - hopefully by Sept my poor body will be healed enough for it to be successful. It's really encouraging to read positive experiences.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
rinaina

Good luck to you. I hope we both have success with our future surgeries and expanders and implants. It would be nice to look symmetrical.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
rinaina

Do you have to wait that long, until September? I thought my PS said a few months healing then the flap from shoulder blade then healing a few months then try expander which could take a few months for proper expansion, then implant. Any thoughts people on saline vs silicone implants? I'm thinking saline is much safer.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Dakini52

Just be careful if you have had radiation to the breast area. Expanders and implants tend to be much less successful when attempted in a radiated area.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatmen...types/implants

My plastic surgeon who is highly regarded in the area was sure he could do it but it was unsuccessful.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
rinaina

Even if you've had a double mastectomy?
AC 4 dense doses
Old 01-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
jaykay

I have silicone implants; they are much safer these days and feel more natural . Both my breasts were radiated in the past (see my sig) and while the latest zapped breast is a bit harder, I'm very satisfied with the results. I just did straight expanders with implants a year later. I'm sorry you are having such difficulty
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Hongdo

The PS suggested that the DIEP failed due to the skin having had radiation but surely most women would have had radiotherapy if they needed a mastectomy. No good to rake over the reasons it didn't work just have to look forward now. I am leaving it til sept so as to give my body as good a chance as possible - that gives my body well over a year to recover. Trying not to raise my hopes up too much - grateful to still be here.
Hope we are all successful x
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Debbie L.

Rinaina, so sorry you're having these hard times. I have not had reconstruction, so have nothing to contribute to that discussion.

But I cannot resist a ramble, totally devoid of evidence to support it. I'm usually all about evidence-based practice, but what follows is NOT evidence-based, at all (disclaimer).

About a year after bilateral mastectomy (but only a few months after completion of radiation), I had a pouch of fat/breast tissue persisting on the bc side, which annoyed me both cosmetically and risk-wise (weren't we trying to get rid of breast tissue to decrease the risk of a local recurrence?). I pointed this out to my uber-anal surgeon, and he agreed we should remove it, in a simple, quick outpatient surgery (also removing one of higher, more-visible tattoo marks from rads). It WAS a quick, simple, procedure -- but I developed a seroma and a RAGING infection on that whole side of my chest. I think it got so far out of hand because his office nurse blew off my complaints, but that's another issue. I got really sick, before he saw me himself, drained the gross amounts of pus, and changed antibiotics. Apart from wishing I hadn't gotten so sick, I didn't think anything of it, cancer-wise, at the time.

But then, I read a book about a Dr. Coley, who at the turn of the last century, had done "research" (in quotes because research then was very different from what it is now) on seemingly spontaneous remissions of cancer after infections, and had tried to induce same in patients. The book is called "A Commotion in the Blood", by Stephen S. Hall. It was recommended as reading for me (before a DOD/Era of Hope seminar on the topic that we co-chaired) by Lupe Salazar (UofW and Nora Disis) -- so not something out of the mainstream. It's an easy and entertaining read. For me, it was hard to put down, better than a murder mystery!

With my stage 3 diagnosis, and losing the toss in the adjuvant Herceptin trial, I really hadn't expected to be still here. As the years have gone on, I've been delighted to see more and more not just about vaccines for cancer, but about harnessing (tricking) the immune system in a more general way to stop cancer. I think back to that raging infection I had. Could that be what tipped the scales for me? Of course, no way to know. It's a crap shoot. But, I offer this ramble in hopes that maybe you'll look on your troubles with infection in a slightly more positive perspective?

Best of luck to you. Let us know more, as you move forward.

Debbie Laxague

PS to Hongdo: I don't think most women have radiation after mastectomy. In fact, some women choose mastectomy over lumpectomy to avoid radiation. It's recommended if there are a lot of positive axillary nodes, but in the range of 1-3+ nodes there is not a lot of evidence of benefit (yet). And typically, I think, not recommended at all if the nodes are negative.
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
sassy

Debbie,

Thank you so much for this post. I too had a significant infection that landed me in the hospital for a week---just a few days shy of a YEAR post mastectomy. I have not previously heard of the infection theory but now know what my next read is!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 AM   #14
JessicaV

Hi,
I am so sorry to hear the difficulties you are having. I have not been there and cannot help apart from offering my sympathy, but I know of a good resource that could help you.
Here in Australia we have an online network called BCNA (breast cancer network of Australia), and within BCNA a woman named Louise has set up a fantastic breast reconstruction group
http://www.bcna.org.au/group/61026
which you should be able to join, and which is full of women who are likely to be able to answer your questions and share your recon journey to find good answers.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

Last edited by JessicaV; 01-06-2015 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: forgot to add the URL
JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #15
JessicaV

Oh, I did know a young woman whose mother had a similar disaster, with an unhealed fistula into her stomach, and her body badly twisted because of adhesions pulling her upper body to the side in a really deforming way. They found another surgeon who was able to do a magnificent repair and she ended up with breasts and stomach she was very happy with.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #16
JessicaV

Debbie, what you say is facinating. I think part of the problem is that the issue of cancer stem cells, and how to get the immune system to identify them and attack them is the Cinderella of breast cancer research at the moment. The current fashionable paradigm centres on surgery and the molecular grouping, ie luminal, basal, HER2+molecular structure, and then determining chemotherapy/targeted/hormonal treatment on the basis of that. Plus radiotherapy also-rans. But that paradigm only treats tumors, esp primary tumors. It does not deal with the released cancer stem cells which are the how and why of metastases, which are what is likely to kill us if anything does.
And the researchers looking at cancer stem cells tell us that Trastuzumab seems to hit cancer stem cells (and flag them for destruction by the immune system) until the cancer stem cells find devious ways to mutate to avoid having to use the blitzed bit of their process.
But the same researchers say that there are foods that hit multiple cancer cell pathways. These foods include broccoli, tumeric, soy, tea, and also possibly onion, tomato, garlic. So personally, I have become a curry maker delux.
I am sure the immune system holds the answers.
13 Jan

Old 01-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
rinaina

Thank you everyone for the replies. I too am so afraid for the future surgeries I will face to give me breasts. The left needs a lift and a reduction following an unsuccessful diep flap that left me with an open wound that has healed but the tissue where wound healed is a very red rigid tight band of tissue. The right breast wound is still healing but much smaller now. Sure hope in a years time I'll be posting a success story. Anyone know top plastic surgeons in Chicago or Chicago burbs?
AC 4 dense doses
Old 01-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
JessicaV

Hi Rinaina, I don't think anyone answered your question about whether radiation treatment interferes with the success of expanders and implants even if you've had a double mastectomy. I understand that irradiation of the breast skin and tissue leaves that skin/tissue harder and a lot less able to stretch, which is what it needs to do for expanders and implants to work. If your mastectomy removed the irradiated skin and the surgeon drew un-irradiated skin up to stitch together, I would guess that you would not have a problem. But if the irradiated skin is still there, I think it is likely to be a problem.

Hongdo, Of all the women who have had a mastectomy for primary breast cancer, mostly only those who first had a lumpectomy with radiation, and then later had to have a mastectomy, will have had radiation.

When initial surgery is mastectomy, I gather radiotherapy is mostly only done for close margins or positive nodes or some rare kinds of BC. So many mastectomy patients have never had it, and thus have a lot more choices for reconstructive surgery.
13 Jan

Old 01-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #19
rinaina

Well I had radiation to the right breast but the mastectomy removed the radiated tissue as did the debridement of the necrotic tissue after reconstruction, so now that breast still has some wound healing to do. I imagine like the healing on the left breast the tissue once healed won't be very flexible but rather rigid and tight, almost scar like, which is why at some point i will need to get tissue from the back shoulder blade in order to have a shot at an expander. This entire issue has been extremely depressing and emotional and I can't believe I allowed myself to get into this mess. I should have just had the mastectomy let it close and heal and then down the road deal with expanders and implants. I dropped the ball on this one big time.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 01-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #20
JessicaV

Hi Rinaina
I have seen problem like this happen to a number of women on the breast cancer scene, including the lovely woman I mentioned in a previous email.

I think women don't get a guide, a flow chart or a road map showing how the different choices we make and how the outcomes of those choices then affect the next set of options, eg
1) that lumpectomy plus radiotherapy now means that
a)if it proves sufficient for clear margins etc and
b)if there is no local or regional recurrence and
c) if everything heals well,
you will be left with two fairly matching breasts and if this is medically recommended and this outcome is important to you, this is a good choice for you so long as the following is fine with you too:

2)if you later need more breast surgery,unless it is a new primary cancer in the other breast, it will have to be a mastectomy or double mastectomy, and any reconstruction will be done with skin that has been damaged by the radiation, so the option of expanders plus implants is not going to be a very workable option for you. So they have these more complex surgical processes available including deip and tram etc. If you have those done to both breasts after double mastectomy,
b)if there is no further local or regional recurrence and
c) if everything heals well,
you will again be left with two fairly matching breasts.

3)And that if you only have one breast mastectomy done, you may need several extra surgeries to get them to match, and even if you have two done, you may need several extra surgeries to get them to match.

It bothers me because this could be spelt out by surgeons and oncologists working together, providing flow charts of possibilities/probabilities. But it isn't provided, so we are not able to make choices in full knowledge, and are not prepared for the possible outcomes. We don't discover these things until suddenly we fall into the middle of them and find it incredibly distressing and also blame ourselves for not having found out enough info, and making a choice that ends up causing us distress.
I don't think you dropped the ball at all. I really feel for you and what you are going through at the moment. I do believe that you should have had better info from your team in a way you could make sense of and work with in the trauma of the moment.
But once you get together the energy and umph to get back on the horse, with a good surgeon, you can get there and get what you want and deserve.
best wishes
Jessica
13 Jan