HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
Ruth S from Georgia

My story is like so many others on this board. I was 36 years old and diagnosed with BC last year. I was nursing my 9 month old daughter and about to start to wean her when I realized that I had a hard lump that didn't go down even after nursing or pumping my breast. My visit to my gyno was just to figure out if I had a clogged milk duct. Little did I know that one hour later I was downstairs in a surgeon's office getting a needle biopsy. One week later I started neoadjuvent chemotherapy dose-dense AC. After the fourth treatment we decided to go ahead and do surgery. I had a good (not great) response to the AC. The primary tumor got smaller and the lymphnode under my arm shrunk to normal size. I had a mod. radical masc clean margins all contained in the breast tissue. My tumor was 2.8cm 10/16 lymphnodes pos grade 3 ER/PR- HER2 3+. I was told that the nursing created a haven for the cancer cells to spread to my lymphnodes. The blood flow and super charged lymphnodes made in much worse in my case. I recovered from the surgery and 10 days later I started weekly Taxol with Herceptin for 12 weeks. Now I am to finish up the Herceptin in August.
I was heavily involved in charities and home schooling my older son (who was 8 at the time). I also have another younger son who started first grade during this difficult time. I was recently elected president of our Girl Scout council that covered 27 counties. I was the youngest ever elected and had to resign just two months into it. It was very difficult to do but I needed to focus on healing myself. The Girl Scouts didn't forget me or my family. We had a dinner every week on the day I received my chemotherapy. Then a pastors family and my womens group would supply dinner for the rest of the week. My friends and co-workers are unsung hero's in the battle for my health...they saved me in many ways by bringing such joy to my life in those dark days. My three young children my husband and my family were the rocks to lean on when I was so very ill. I finished the chemotherapy and then started radiation immediately. I had 30 treatments and thought this part was a breeze. My hair started to grow and now it is dense curly and dark!

Since I love charity work so much I helped start a support group of young breast cancer patients in my area. We only have 5 members but it is a wonderful space of time together to share. I also joined a writing group and we produced a written script and had a play performed in April at the Univ of GA. I ended up writing mostly about my very best friend who died of cancer (Adrenal cortical carcinoma) 6 years ago when she was 32 years old. She only lived 8 months after diagnosis had just gotten engaged and was my best friend since we were 8 years old. I thought I had a free cancer ride after she had gotten ill - who would think that it would hit two young friends like that? I learned an awful lot about cancer friendships and life going through this incredible journey. I am not mad anymore about it. I accept it. Fear grips me sometimes but then I realize that when fear comes the cancer has control again. I don't want the control to get away from me. But I am realistic and know that I can't help it to feel the way I do sometimes. I want to be around when my babies grow up. My daughter is turned 2 soon and I am so very thankful to be here healthy and able to do anything I want to.

Because I go to my Onc. every week for Herceptin I have made so many new friends and have lost a great deal of them. It humbles you and makes you appreciate your life so much more. I have learned great stories of inspiration and strength. Women and men that were given a grim statistic to live do so way beyond all expectations and ones that were expected to make it through and don't. I have learned that cancer doesn't descriminate.

I take good care of my health now whereas I didn't do so before. I eat only organic foods very very little meat low sugar and diary. I exercise and take care of my body. I truly believe that it helped me with my strength through the chemotherapy.

I am happy to be here. Happy I found this wonderful website and look forward to many more years living this new life.

Ruth