HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Lolly

The Problem With Potency

Food for thought...I had posted this on the main board earlier, but thought it should be here also.

The Problem With Potency - Nature Biotechnology
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v2...0905-1037.html
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
al from Canada

nothing ventured, nothing gained..

At stage 4, you take what you can get. We have all declared the war against cancer "lost" years ago however, with this sudden flurry of pharmaceuticals, there will be causalties. I think most of us look at it as "making-up for lost ground". I would really hate to see the drug companies put the brakes on research because of potential liabilities. These guys' crystal ball is no clearer than yours or mine. What really pisses me off is when you see multi-million dollar suits aimed at the researchers / drug companies because the informed consent wasn't appropriately translated to the 5th cousin twice removed of the patient, because the document didn't address that fact that the cousine was from Glasgow. (I know, it didn't make sense to me either but my point being....)

In this information stream, we are talking about journalists who have no understanding what you have to go through on a daily basis! Consider the following: if you were offered a Mab where there was a 75% chance of total and perminant remission BUT the other 25% died. Informed consent, calculated risk, I'm sooo tired of this crap, do I have time to say good bye, no law suits, bring it on.

I'm much calmer now,
Al
Old 11-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
Lolly

Al, I'm sorry to have gotten you so riled up! I agree, we need to keep all this in perspective and I personally would much rather take my chances WITH Herceptin than without it. But I'm also interested in the autoimmune connection as some of us have to deal with these pesky symptoms that seem to be related; runny noses, achey joints and muscles, rashes, the heart issue, etc. Remember, knowledge is power

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote