HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Tykerb cramps?

Hi,

On another online support group listserv, a member posed that she was experiencing very bad (uterine? as though menstrual, tho she's been post-menopausal for a long while) cramps, and she's currently on Tykerb, along with an anti-hormonal I think.

I'm on Tykerb/Herceptin - no chemo for the last 2 years, no anti-hormonals for over 4 years. And I've been getting sporadic really severe leg cramps - huge spasms in my right calf or inner right thigh, that wake me up from a deep sleep, in agony.

Anyone else experiencing muscle cramps that might be related to being on Tykerb? BTW - I'm just completing my second month on the drug.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
sally

I also have bad cramps in my calves and feet. I also have a cramp that feels monthly once in awhile. I am 39 yrs old. I had an ooph 2 yrs. ago and was on Herceptin for 3 yrs., Femara for 2 1/2 then switched to Tamox for the last 6 mos. I was currently dx with liver mets so I have started Tykerb/Xeloda. I have only received 2 doses so far and I still have the cramps in my legs and felt a little crampy today in the lower stomach. I don't know if any of this will help. Just remember not to give up hope and be well. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Carolyns

Hi Sandy,

I was on Faslodex and Herceptin and got 2 urinary tract infections. They felt like severe cramping to me at first and then after a while it became obvious to me that it was most likely UTI confirmed by testing.

I have since stopped the anti hormonal and am on Tykerb and Herceptin. No more UTIs. I sometime have foot cramps at night and must stand up to get rid of them. Not often or bad...just a little annoying.

Good luck to you and your online friend.

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Hi Sandy

Yes I get severe muscle spasms/cramps (I am presently on Tykerb/Xeloda for the last year.)

I began getting severe legs cramps in my calves when I was on Herceptin but after on it for 5 years mark. I know it to be the Herceptin because they took me off of it for a while and they stopped. When I got on it again, they came back. This time I am getting them mainly in my sides around my waist, the back of my neck, and even when I yawn sometimes I get a huge one under my chin which really hardens up in my muscle, my hands. My calves also feel very heavy and I am having difficulty stepping upward and getting up from a squatting position (which never bothered me before) I know it is from the chemo. Which one I do not know but suspect the Tykerb since it is the same family as Herceptin. When I tell my doctos they all say, oh I haven't heard of that but I know it is - tried and true.

Take care
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
hutchibk

I'm on tykerb/Xeloda. I too get cramps mostly in the muscle just on the outside of my shin... fairly often. Mostly in the early morning just before my alarm is set to go off. I think it is a magnesium/calcium/hydration thing.

Something interesting, though - a couple of days ago I came down wrong on my left leg and felt a painful POP! I had somehow strained my calf muscle. It is painful and will take a couple weeks to heal properly. I wonder if it has been compromised a little from the chemos/Tykerb/Herceptin?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
OzzieSue

Hi,
I too have had cramps. I read that normally cramps can be a sign of magnesium defiency, so I started eating more magnesium rich foods and rarely get them now. I think when I do I'm probably dehydrated. I'm not a great drinker.
OzzieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Tykerb Cramps? Thanks for the replies...

Hi, y'all -

Thanks so much for all of the replies. First of all, it's somehow reassuring just not feeling alone with these symptoms. I know that it often has taken a fairly long time before unreported side effects of new meds come to public light.

Secondly, I appreciate the suggestions. I will look up which foods are magnesium-rich (I try to avoid supplements, even multi-vitamins, ever since my onc & GP told me to get off Vit. E, which I was taking to reduce effects of anti-hormonals. I will start pumping more water again - always a smart idea, especially here in summer, when it's usually quite warm and dry.

I also get the side neck cramps - diagonally from my left jaw to my esophagus - when I yawn - but I got those even before starting on Tykerb, and thought they were due to tightness around a craniotomy scar. Now it seems like I need to suspect longterm use of Herceptin, and/or adding the Tykerb.

Ah, isn't the cyclical nature of palliative care - tx to treat the treatments - quite a tangled web?

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
hutchibk

Just a thought for a little bit of research- I have heard that cramps can be a result of too much calcium settling into the muscle. As our bones absorb less of it as we get older, the muscle tries to use it and too much build up of it can create cramps. This is not at all a scientific explanation, but it is what I seem to remember... there is a calcium connection too. Somehow the magnesium and hydration helps to counter that as well as chelation therapy. I think I need to start googling and see what I can find and make sense of it. I might have it a little upside down and backwards, but I think that is the basic gist of it... Anyone else ever heard this theory?

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
rentrac

I haven't heard of the calcium to muscle theory, but I'm relieved to hear that others are having cramps as well. I stopped Herceptin and started Decadrona and Tykerb at the same time and had awful cramps in my hands, by my shins and other unexpected spots. First coming off Decadron, the cramps virtually started, but now that I've added Xeloda to the Tykerb, they're returning in a milder form. THe hand cramps are the most vexing - truly writers cramp which is a real pain in the - well - hand. I'm relieved to know I'm not alone.
Rentrac
Oct. 2003: Dx age 48, Stage IIIA Ductal Ca. dense dose neoadjuvent AC. BrCa 1&2 -, ER+, PR-, Her2+. 2004: R mastectomy, 3+ nodes, dense doseTaxotere ( allergic), total hysterectomy, radiationx36 . Tamoxifen x6 mo., Arimidex x9 mo. Jan. '06: Multi left metastatic nodes left neck. Stage IV. Taxol, Carboplatin (allergic to both), Herceptin, radiationx27. Herceptin cont'd. 1 mediastinal met in old rad field. April: 2 brain mets - Rcerebellar, Ltemporal lobe. Gammaknife. Stop Herceptin, Start Tykerb. May: CyberKnife-mediastinal node, Zometa restart. July: New RLung mets. Xeloda add. Jan. 2008: CT: Lung mets shrinking. Fatty liver w/increased liver function panel. Feb '08: MRI: brain mets back, 2nd GammaKnife. June: Migraine headaches from cerebellar tumor. Team for WBR - Choose Craniotomy on Cerebellum only. Aug: Crainiotomy successful. Sept: PET -right lung apex clean; left internal mammary artery appears malignant. Herceptin in future. Left mastectomy?
rentrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Lani

bhutch

Did you have an orthopaedic surgeon check you out?

It is possible to partially rupture the Achilles tendon/gastrocnemius muscle or fully rupture a little muscle deep to the gastrocnemium called the plantaris.

The latter from what I understand does not require treatment, but the former may.

Hope this helps rather than worries you...
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
hutchibk

My onc had me go to the GP to evaluate and Xray. It turned out to truly be a grade 1 calf muscle strain, requiring RICE (rest ice compression elevation) for 2 weeks. Now I am putting towels soaked in warm water on the calf 2xday to loosen the muscle and then doing mild stretching... it is a lot better.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~