HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Karen O.

Started Losing My Hair Today.......

....and am wondering how fast it will go now that it has started. Is it just a matter of days, or could I have it for a couple more weeks. I suppose, like everything else it varies from person to person.
Karen O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
ExpectAMiracle

Hi Karen!

It also depends on what meds you are taking. I understand that Adriamycin makes hair fall out very quickly. I'm on Taxotere and have had one treatment with next scheduled for Monday. My hair has started "thinning" this week. When I run my hards through it, I get a number of hairs every time. It isn't fun. I'm planning to go and get my hair cut off by the end of this week and start wearing my wig.

All the best to you on your journey!

{{Hugs}}

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
janet/FL

Susan, You might want to keep some of that hair instead of getting it all cut off. At least at first. What I found is that I had enough hair on the sides and back so that I could wear a hat and look as if I had hair. Also, when your hair grows back in, you seem to have more as you still have some long strands. Not really a Donald Trump comb over--just a little more hair. You cut it shorter as you lose it to make it look fuller.
I thought I would love wearing a wig and I hated it. It you don't mind wearing one, then it probably is easier, depending on the style, to just shave your head. Anyway, that was my experience.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Emelie

Hair or no Hair

Susan,
I had about 16 days after the beginning of treatment and my hair started to fall out in big clumps. I found it gross to have hair on my desk, pillow, clothes, etc. so I had my husband's barber shave my head. I had already purchased a wig, but found it very itchy, and hot! I finally bought several scarves that went with my work wardrobe and just plain ole bandanas at home on the weekends and did just fine. I was bald thru the winter here in St Louis, so I also wore knit caps to keep my head warm.
Experiment with your look and find what you are most comfortable with. I even had some of the girls in my office wearing scarves because they thought they looked cool.
On the up side, it takes 0 time to get ready in the morning still, as I only have "tennis ball fuzz" now. I am 3 months out from Taxotere/Herceptin and just on Herceptin. I will say that after my last dose of Herceptin, I lost some of my fuzz for a few days, and then it stopped coming out. Kinda freaked me out!
Stay strong and log on to this website any time, it really does help.
Best of luck in your treatment,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
suzan w

My hair fell out FAST! I was on A/C and it started coming out the day after my second treatment. I shaved my head...A few days before it started coming out I noticed that my head got very sensitive...almost sore to the touch, once I was bald that soreness went away. When it grew back it was thick and curly...now it is thicker than before, but back to straight!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Susan!

I had Adriamycin and Taxotere together and my hair seemed to jump off my head. I was kinda glad to just get it done! My husband and I made an event of cutting it all off and getting on with scarf life for about a year! It seemed to me not to be as bad as I thought it would be. There were times that I didn't like not being able to fluff my hair and make it pretty, but I just kept telling myself the whys and the benefits and that this was "just temporary"! I washed my head everyday as if I had hair and kept my silly routine - not sure why! I wore my wigs about 7 or 8 times is all. I liked the scarfs and how simple it was!
I got lots of fun scarfs and hats and pampered myself with fun changes. As my hair came back it was thin and goofy white grey! But it's changed about 4 times since then and that part has been fun too! Best wishes for the completion of this most important step in your treatment. I tried to look at it sort of like a badge of honor for doing what needing doing! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Erin

Karen,
I was surprized to find that I did not lose all my hair, as my onc had "promised" me. I did shave it, as you can see from my photo, but lo and behold, here I am one week after my 4th round of TCH and not only is it not all gone, it is growing! Mind you, it is not pretty, sort of patchy and I certainly don't have enough to pass as a non-chemo person, but still there is a significant amount still hanging in. Had I known I might have opted to not shave it all off, so I could still have a little at the neck, forehead and ears under my scarves. Still, the shaving was so proactive, and assertive, in a time that I felt (and continue to feel) so out of control, it might have been worth it. Best of luck!
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
momdeeco

My hair started falling out 14 days after my 1st AC. My daughter is a hairdresses so she cut it super short. Then she just buzzed it. We laughed and we cried. It was a comfort to have my daughter do my hair for me...even with the wig! I have very curly hair now, and it is easy to fix. Might just keep it short for awile. Only thing I regret is that I didn't have more pictures taken of me bald. I was so self worried about it at the time. Now I would like to remembe and see that old bald shiny area. My hubby even bicked me too!
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
ER-/PR- HER 2 +++ GRADE 3
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
10/06 STARTED HERCEPTIN AFTER 3RD OPINION
3/07 GENETIC TESTING-GENE VARIANT FOR BRCA 1 AND 2
3/07 STOPPED HERCPTIN DUE TO LOW EF
BSO 8/08 (P53 SIGNATURE--PRECANCEROUS CELLS)
11/08---IN A STUDY/MRI EVERY 6 MONTHS/MAMMO EVERY YEAR
momdeeco is offline   Reply With Quote