HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Nguyen

Remedies for mouth sores from everolimus

Here are remedies I found (from various web sites) for "treating mouth" sores.

Nguyen

"

Magic mouth wash: a mixture of antihistamine, lidocaine, maaxlox

------
Anything with acidophillus should work. My pharmacist recommended Accuflora. It has five different bacteria and is time-release. When I told the nurse practitioner in my onc's office what I had taken and how well it worked, she said she had never heard of that treatment. All I can say is it's working for me. Hope it helps.
---------

Honey and Turmeric: Mix together 1 teaspoon honey with 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, and rub it on the sore. It will burn a little at first, but the sore area will heal quickly.

--------

-BEFORE mouth sores start (to prevent)
- rinse mouth with cool whip before taking pill, and then take pill IN cool whip.
- use Biotene mouth rinse and toothpaste (already do this)
- rinse daily with salt/baking soda mixture 4+ times/day.
- use Mugard (not sure if this was preventively? I have some....can start it tonight too)

After they arrive:
- rinse with salt and baking soda.
- treat with mouth sore gels OTC (did this before--used some kind of canker sore "pen" that helped) -treat with Mugard -treat with magic mouthwash.

-------------------------

Thanks, Caitriona! That's encouraging. I had to break from Afinitor for a couple of weeks, the doc had me start back on 2.5. I've been on that for a couple weeks now with only a couple tiny mouth sores which have cleared within 24 hours. I'm hoping the cool whip method as well as the frequent mouth rinsing with Mugard and Orajel mouth sore rinse is helping. I feel much better on the AA combo than I did on Xeloda so I REALLY want it to work for me!

----------------------

I am taking 10 mg afinitor daily. After about two weeks, I developed mouth sores, sore throat, etc. I couldn't eat or even talk because it hurt so much. I checked with the pharmacist and was told that it was similar to a yeast infection where all the good bacteria are killed by the medication. She suggested a probiotic to replace the good bacteria. Anything with acidophillis will do. I take Accuflora. It has five different bacteria and is time released. After about three days, the sores went away and I have had no problem since. My onc never heard of this treatment, but it is working for me. Might be worth a try.

------------------

I've been taking A/A since January this year. I found that my mouth is very sensitive to pepper or anything spicy, so I don't eat it. I take the Afinitor with whipped cream- 1 tsp before, 1 tsp with the pill embedded in it, and one tsp after. Then I drink water. The only time I've had a small blister has been after thinking I could sneak a pizza! But I put the fire out immediately with the use of topical Kenalog in Orabase when a little sore spot appeared on my tongue later that same day. Kenalog in Orabase is a prescription topical paste that sticks to the sores, and really clears the sores overnight.

---------------------

We would like to send a free full size bottle to anyone in this group that could benefit from trying our rinse. Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally, Bill at bstern@reviveppc.com and get more information on our website: www.rinseforrelief.com

You can purchase The Natural Dentist Mouth Rinse without a prescription (Walgreens, RiteAid, Wholefoods) and is recommended by leading dental practitioners in the oncology field. Our rinse is gentle, pleasant tasting, and has no

----------------------

Muguard is what works bet for me. Twice a day. When I have flare ups, I use watermelon frost (a Chinese herb) in powder form. I make a paste on the sore. It brings relief and helps heal them very quickly. It rally works well.

------------------------

My experience has been, I still get a few mouth sores , dry mouth, acne, and sore throat. I use the biotene products, and eat soft nonspicey foods, soups, pastas, cooked vegetables instead of raw. I have been swallowing the A/A with a glass of water and have not experienced more sores than when I used the cream cheese.

It takes approx. three months to know if it is working. I had great results according to the first PT scan. Now scheduled later this month for a PT scan before we go south for the winter.

-------------------------

I agree, I also used L Lysene pills from health food store and it controlled the mouth sores. I also used melaleuca essential oil on gums and lips and Abreva on lips, too. It is expensive for a little tiny tube, but I have used it successfully when in the sun for years for cold/fever blisters long before chemo.

---------------------------

has bizarre side effects For the mouth sores I use Mugard which prevents and heals the sores, more than numbs, and if I do get a bad sore cover it with Canker Cover. Those 2 products changed my life. Went from a mouth full of sores, could not eat or drink without severe pain to none. Had some foot/ankle swelling,

---------------------------

I have pretty much gotten and addressed all of the side effects. I got lazy with the Mugard, you need to keep it up, and developed another awful huge canker sore which after the fact, the Mugard could not clear up. But the Canker Cover took care of it in less than 24 hours, and so I have learned that I can't slack on the Mugard even if mouth completely clear.

"
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote