HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Margaret

I am so grateful. I believe herceptin really did the job for my cancer. I was diagnosed Nov. 2001 with stage IIIb strong her2nue pos. large tumor 9cm by 6cm by 4cm. Had mastectomy and 16 nodes removed. They were all involved. Had 3 months of AC chemo and 3 months of Taxol and herceptin and continued weekly treatments of herceptin for 1 year. Also had 6 weeks of radiation.
I am now NED and feel and look healthier then I've been in 10 years! I was 38 years old when I was diagnosed. There's no history of cancer in my family.
I really used the diagnosis as a wake- up call for my life. I now live each day with as much joy and gratitude as possible. I've 'fallen in love' with my life!
I also found a healthier lifestyle. I mainly eat organic fruits and vegetables and tofu, nuts and seeds and whole grains. It works for me. I try hard to stay away from sugar and processed food.
I also credit embracing yoga as saving my life. I had been so shut down to myself before my diagnosis. I was busy being a good mom and wife and taking care of everyone else and neglecting myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. I became a yoga teacher and have found so much healing and a new way to live. I believe you can choose to live 'a hundred years' in every minute making the most of every single breath or you can live for a hundred years and never truly live for one minute. So no matter how many more minutes I have to my life, I'm vowing to make the absolute most of every single breath and live joyously with much gratitude!
I send love and best wishes to all those going through challenging times.
Namaste! T
Old 12-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
*_anne_*

Margaret,
Thank you for your story. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you. My mom had almost the same dx. earlier in the year and is going through all that you have gone through. I wish all the best life has to offer and very good health. Please tell me are there any alternative medecine supplements you are taking. Do you reccomend any yoga videos I can get online. My mom is also doing yoga 2 times a week, but I would like to improve her spirit, which has still taken a beating from this awful disease. Once again, your story is very inspirational.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Margaret

Hi Anne, prayers and positive thoughts for your Mom. An alternative medicine that was very helpful to me during my treatment was accupuncture. I reccomend it for anyone going through chemo. I think it really helped my body process the chemicals. I also was able to share many of my fears and tears during the sessions.
Just keep smiling and giving her lots of hugs.......that's always great for the spirit.
Margaret
Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
*_julie_*

Hi Margaret,

Your story is so inspiring. I was diagnosed with stage3, her2+++ this september and going through the neoadjuvant chemo with AC+Taxol. I would like to get herceptin after my surgery in a clinical trial as my oncologist does not want to give it. Did you get herceptin in a clinical trial, if so can you please tell where did you get it.

thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Margaret

Hi Julie,
My heartfelt best wishes go out to you. Take good care of yourself through the chemo. I was in a clinical trial and received the herceptin in San Diego. I would reccomend getting herceptin. Good luck
Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
SusanAnne

Hi Julie,

I got herceptin in a clinical trial (I'm stage IIIa). I'm in NY on Long Island. However, I believe in my trial you couldn't have had chemo prior to the trial. Not sure if all the trials are similar. If so, you'd have to find an oncologist to prescribe it "off label". From what I've heard, that shouldn't be too difficult. Anyway, go on clinicaltrials.gov and do a search for herceptin trials to see if any are in your area and the requirements. Best of luck to you.

Susan
Old 02-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Janie

Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for posting this encouraging story. My profile is very similar to yours: Stage 3a, 3cm, 6/19 positive nodes, ER/PR -
Completed the AC/Taxol/radiation and doing Herceptin through November.

Continued success,

Janie
Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Beverly

I also was very encouraged to read your great news. My mother's diagnosis August 04 was similar (3cm mass; 13/14 nodes +;her2+++;stage IIIB). Her treatment was the same: mastectomy; A/C 4X; Taxol/Herceptin, which she is about to complete, then radiation/herceptin & then Herceptin for a year. I wonder if you or anyone else through this same treatment had issues with the tumor markers fluctuating. That is what is going on with my mom at this time. The tumor markers increased while on A/C, so the oncologist moved on to Taxol/Herceptin, which lowered them. But at treatment 13, they started going back up again, which concered the Oncologist. Mom has had CT & bone scan this week & we are now waiting (as usual). She has her final scheduled Taxol/Herceptin treatment today, but oncologist says she may have to continue depending on how the scans turn out. Did you or anyone else experience this on Herceptin?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
*_Victoria_*

Hi,

Thank you for your post. It is inspiring. I too am fighting this disease along with the help of Herceptin, Carbo, and Taxol. I have only been into chemo for the past 5 weeks (weekly treatments) and hope this is successfull against my HER2 tumor.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and hope through this tough time.

Victoria
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
triciak

Margaret, Your story is absolutely inspiring to me in many ways! Thank you so much for sharing, and God bless you . tricia
Old 03-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
*_Trudy_*

Dear Margaret,

I just read you post and cannot believe how much it matches my life' story.
I was diagnosed in August, 2001, same diagnosis, same treatment, same
result, same outlook on life, eating organic food, trying to stay healthy, taking
supplements, doing Yoga, etc.
Thank You so much for sharing you story and good luck to you in the future.

Trudy
Old 04-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
LYNNE TREIBER

OH, MY GOD THIS IS PARTLY MY STORY,.SAME HER2 STATUS 5 CM TUMOR 27 POSITIVE NODES,AC,TAXATORE.RADIATION ETC.SO FAR 3 HERCEPTIN TREATMENTS.TODAY AFTER READING THIS I HAVE HOPE THAT MAYBE I WILL LIVE AFTERALL.MAY 6 2004 WAS MY DIAGNOSIS STAGE 3B............PLEASE....PLEASE WRITE TO ME.SINCERELY,LYNNE
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #13
Janet/FL

Hi Lynne
Glad you found the group. We know how you feel about being scared. Great that you are on Herceptin.
Wishing you the best,
Janet/FL
Old 04-25-2005, 04:44 AM   #14
gillian

Hi ladies

I too was amazed how similare my story was to many of yours. I was diagnosed in May 04, one small (1.2 cm) tumour in breast plus one positive (out of 7) node in armpit. Had sic rounds of chemo, radiation. Then in Jan 05 found 3 more positive nodes and had surgery. Now Im having weekly doses of Herceptin plus Taxotere every fourth week. Im really hoping for the best but have had some 'down' days.

Im so glad that I found this website, everything I read seems to point to the poor prognosis of HER2 but after reading these posts, I feel happier thinking that Herceptin might prevent a recurrence. Please God, we can make it through this. I have two daughters aged 13 and 14 who are very very close to me and I dread to think what would happen to them without me.

gillianx
Old 03-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
lkc Gumby

Margaret,

I am relatively new to these boards and have just read your story. God Bless you for sharing. I was dx May 05, stage IIIC with 12/14 pos node hormone neg, HER +++.
I have finished my AC Taxotere and rads and now am just on Herceptin. It's sories like yours that I hang onto.
Thank you .

Linda
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
G. Ann

Hi Margaret,

Just found your story. Thank you for sharing your philosophy in the last paragraph. It reminded me to be more vigilant in making a choice "how" to live with however many "minutes" or "years" are given plus to live with joy and gratitude.

G.Ann
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
michele u

Lynne and Margaret

Both of your stories are just like mine! I was dx 2003 with Stage3 and had 34 pos nodes. Please email me if you can mulmer@mainstaycomm.net
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Liaidarutrica

I'm soooo grateful

Im so looking forward to the meet I think we should have two tbh. A wednesday pre-meet or maybe a Sunday post-meet?
Liaidarutrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Renee Hithe

Re: I'm soooo grateful

thank you for your story.
Renee Hithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #20
Renee Hithe

Re: I'm soooo grateful

anyone out there have any problems/solutions about lymphedema?
Renee Hithe is offline   Reply With Quote