HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Has The Entire World Lost Its Respect For Others?

I am very disheartened over activities which have taken place on this board over the past few days.

Christine and I receive no personal compensation from the HER2 Support Group. I still have a full time job for the sole purpose of providing medical benefits for Christine and Myself.

In addition to my employment, I also spend at least 30 hours a week maintaining our organization, doing fundraising, preparing for the several breast cancer meetings and symposiums that we attend each year, and numerous other chores for the benefit of our members. We are not under any obligation to maintain these boards or even our organization.
It was because of these activities that I neglected to pay attention to certain activities occuring on these boards.

Other COO's of "non-profit" breast cancer support groups receive anywhere from $90,000 to $300,000 for their services.

I have mentioned on several occasions that we expect members to use the same manners on our message boards as if you were visiting us in our home. All of you have seen my signature, and I meant every word of it. I have always been proud that the users of our website acted as adults and did not participate in infighting as is commonplace on some other boards. Christine and I have always considered all of you to be one big family united in purpose - TO SURVIVE

I will no longer tolerate disrespectful behavior on our message boards. In over 5 years of operations I have only had to delete 2 threads which I considered offensive. Today I am deleting another.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Thanksgiving. I echo Rhonda's post. Not only should we be thankful for this organization, but also for those members who have contributed so much to this organization and are no longer with us.

Rhonda, I'd also like to add Lynn, Hope, Shell, Lu Ann, and Janelle to your list.

A pleasant Thanksgiving to you all and for those who were planning to leave our family - please reconsider.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
BonnieR

Thanksgiving

Since this is the season for remembering to give thanks, I think it is a perfect time I made a donation to this awesome site.
With love and thanks,
Bonnie

P.S. Except the "make a donation" link does not work for me!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10

Last edited by BonnieR; 11-21-2007 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: PS
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Karen W

I am in the process of making a donation to this awesome site, too. I am also grateful everyday for Joe, Christine and this site.

And to all... a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
BonnieR

Karen, did the link work for you???

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
hutchibk

I am beyond thankful for this site and the job that Joe and Christine do. Please Joe - don't give up. I would be lost without this site.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Karen W

Bonnie,

There is an address to send check to, so that is what I am doing.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Leslie's sister

Thank you Joe and Christine

Joe and Christine:
Thank you for everything that you have done to make this site happen. This is my one source for Her2 info. I am completely at ease knowing that if it is happening then the people at Her2support will be all over it. Thanks for reeling this thing back in. This site is what it is because YOU BOTH have made it that way. I believe that knowledge is power and you empower all of us with the knowledge we need in the battle against the real enemy CANCER!
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I am not quite sure who posted what, and I cannot make a donation at this time, but I hope my situation improves at some point in the future and I will be able to. However, I sure will express my deepest gratitude for this program and the support I have received by being a member.
I know of no other place I can go anytime (even at 2 a.m.) - when I am worried or upset and find the knowledge, hope, empathy and strength to go on. I find it here. Joe and Christine you are wonderful people and I hope you count me as one individual who appreciates the work that you do for us. I cannot find words that will adequately express the gratitude I feel. I hope you will feel it by reading this short post though.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
fauxgypsy

Joe, I cannot imagine the amount work, love and effort that you and Christine have put into this wonderful site. I appreciate it immensely. Thank you both for this wonderful board.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Patrice

Thank you Joe & Christine for all you do. I've also tried to make a donation since I joined, but the link doesn't work. Is there some other way?

Many thanks & Happy Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it). Patrice
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Julie

so many thanks

I don't post very often and I'm not very good with words but from the time I stumbled on this site several years ago I have had nothing but admiration and respect for Joe and Christine. What strikes me so about them is that their hearts are visible in everything they do, in everything they post. I think people so willing to give in the ways they have, are sadly rare.
Thank you, Joe, from the bottom of *my* heart.

Julie
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Joe and Christine

I just want to add my THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH for providing all of us this wonderful site. It is something that I visit daily, sometimes several times a day. This site has led me to so much knowledge and future treatments because of the dedication some members have put into research and sharing with the rest of us.

As an "old timer" to this board, I can understand your feelings and hope everyone "gets the message" real soon.

Wishing you and your family a very wonderful, peaceful and safe holiday.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
dhealey

Joe and Christine, Thank you both for your hard work making this website work. I was lost when first diagnosed and was so happy to find this site. It provides a wealth of information plus support. I Pray you will continue to keep this going. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
tousled1

Joe & Christine,

I want to thank you both for all the hard work you put into maintaining this wonderful webiste. I know I'd be lost without it. I don't know what post you are talking about and I guess that's a good thing. You both should be comended for the wonderful job you do for us HER2 breast cancer women.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
tricia keegan

What????

Joe and Christine I hve to echo what kate just said, I don't know what post you're talking about but don't want to! I don't post very often but respond when I can as there are lots of people here with far more knowledge than I . However, I truely appreciate being able to come here and be educated by you all about this disease.
I'd be lost without it, I live in Ireland and there's nothig to compare with it.
Please know you are both appreciated so much for the work you put into this site for us. A HUGE Thank you from Ireland.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
newgg

Please !!

Joe and Christine,
Do not think you even realize how very much this site means to us....to me. You may have some small idea but you do not realize. Read here almost every day and some days several times a day. This is where I feel grounded and secure in the fact that I will find information that I can use to continue my LIFE. This is where we go to share and learn from all who have been there and done that. That is what we all want....the info, tools, chemo, whatever ....to continue our LIFE. All the good.....all the support...all the love.....all those who research for us......I struggle with the words to express the power and strength that I find here. Have sent and will continue to send funds to you when I can and you have my continued admiration. Your site and message board must continue. A major....do mean MAJOR....source of power would be lost to so many.
Please....delete when you need to do so......but this message board give us POWER and must continue for the support of the majority.
Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #17
ita

I too do not know what on earth could have been written that was so hurtful that it would have caused you, Joe, to delete a post. I am truly sorry for whatever it was that happened.

I am glad I missed that post.

I love this site. I love the members, whether or not I am in agreement with their thoughts. Each one of you have taught me something. Without all of you, well, there are no words. Joe and Christine, please know that you two are our lifeline. You have given us an incredible gift. I sincerely thank you. Although I seldom write, it is not because I don't want to but because I am not sure I have anything else to add than what has already been so beautifully written.

I am once again sorry for whatever it was transpired. We, as a cummunity, are always and will always be grateful.

Ita
ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
Mary Anne in TX

3 weeks ago when I had my appointment with my onc we talked so frankly about my situation and what to do to keep me on track for good health. We talked about options other than herceptin, but settled on it after some discussion. We had that discussion because of this site. I knew what I believed would be best for me and stated why because of the education I receive each time I come here to learn from and pray for others in need. My onc told me how nice it is to work with an informed patient! Made my day!
I believe that the site is far more than a place to come for education and support. I believe that it has empowered me also because of the respect I have gained being associated with each of you and this site. I am grateful beyond words. I went for my first appointment shaking and so very fearful. Now I show up to get herceptin and to see my nurses and friends in the treatment room. I am glad to be able to go and grow stronger! I know that my care is "top drawer" because of what I have learned here! I read everyone "signature" and see what they received and for how long, etc. Everyday I learn more and more.
I so want to honor each of those we have lost, to support each of you, and most of all to respect the incredibly hard work done by Joe and Christine that I believe has guided my treatment thru education and the support to "fight for myself".
Luv and "thanksliving" to you all,
Mary Anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

Thank you Joe and Christine for stopping the madness. Poisonous words and insults are harmful to our health. Thank you for doing what you had to do to eradicate a spreading hostility and negativity that threatened us all. I do believe we are capable of intellectual discourse, expressing differing views without attacking and making it personal. We have done it before, and we will each be careful to continue to respect one another, as our Mothers taught us. I believe, in my heart of hearts, that the harshness came from people who are in a great deal of emotional pain. Still, that does not give anyone license to verbally assail another human being's character. You have stood up for what is right, and for that I am deeply thankful. That is awesome.

Beyond that, Joe and Christine, I love being here, in your home, with my Sisters. This site is a poignant place to come and gather knowledge and empowerment. To connect with others just like us, which is so stirringly significant to each and every one of us. I cannot adequately say how much I admire you both for your dedication to this support group. It is a vital link, a source of unfathomable value. We all treasure you for this gift you give so generously and so devotedly. Thank you for being there, for always being there, almost like God, even hearing 2AM pleas for help. Bless you! This HER2 Site is at the top of my list of things I am grateful for in my life. I speak of this site incessantly. I suppose I would require a support group to get over the loss of this support group, which I am happily and totally addicted to. With huge respect and appreciation for all you do so selflessly and tirelessly. Joe and Christine you are our heroes and our guiding force! With my love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
Grace

Joe and others,

I guess I missed what's happening and not unhappy that I did. Today we left Maine for New York for the holidays but before we left, I stopped at the post office to pick up mail. In my mail was a book sent to me by Stephanie "It's not about the hair" by Debra Jarvis. I hope I have that right, Stephanie, as I left the book in the car. I began it and finished on our trip down--ten hours, door to door. A lovely book by an oncology chaplain in Seattle who herself was diagnosed with breast cancer. It's a very positive book by a very positive woman and was given to me by another positive woman--thanks Stephanie. I plan to send it on to another woman and friend on the board (if she hasn't read it already) and will ask her to send it on to another when she finishes. Jarvis does briefly discuss the issue of blaming oneself and is of another view--to quote her, "stuff happens." If any of you need something positive to read for the holidays, I recommend her book highly. I do hope none of you leave the board and we can all remain dear friends. As I said to my husband just two days ago, I would be lost without all of you, as I really don't like talking about my fears and anxiety to the non-HER2 world. You understand, and that means so much to me, and I'm sure to all of us.

And Joe, as so many have said, we owe you and Christine a great debt. If I haven't said thank you before, thank you many times over.