HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #41
celina

Hi there,
Does anyone know in which order Herceptin/Taxol combo should be taken or whether it matters? I was initially under the impression that Hercepton is given first, followed by Taxol. (told my pharmacist) My sister received it in the reversed order yesterday. We asked about that, nurse said makes no difference.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:58 AM   #42
christine

I was given the taxol first when I was on that combo in 1999..It must have worked.

Hugs and Well Wishes.
Christine
Old 06-11-2004, 05:43 AM   #43
Patty H

They always gave me my herceptin first because when they drew blood my husband would run it over to the clinci next door and by the time the herceptin was done they had my results for the chemo. Patty H
Old 06-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #44
RSchrief

I took Taxol with Herceptin for 12 cons. weeks and it was always Herceptin first. According to a study done, Herceptin hits the blood stream first, laches on to the cancer cells and then when the Taxol comes it is easier for the Taxol to attack. Of course I am sure since it is only hours apart it may not truly matter. Who knows but at least your sister is getting the two!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #45
Sandy

I always had the Herceptin first and I was told it didn't matter except that we were more likely to have a reaction to the Taxol and therefore, if that happened the whole treatment would have to be stopped and at least the Herceptin would be in the system. It sounded good to me at the time however, its interesting to hear what others have been told. Hugs, Sandy
Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #46
KRISTEN

I READ ON ONE OF THE POSTS ABOUT AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE TAXANES, THAT WAS JUST AS GOOD BUT DIDN'T HAVE ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THAT IS, AND IN WHAT COMBO IT WAS IN? THANK YOU. I HAVE A FRIEND WITH EARLY STAGE BC WITH MASECTOMY AND IS CURRANTLY DOING AC RX BUT WILL CHANGE THE NEXT 4 WITH TAXOL. SHE IS HER 2++ BUT NOT ON HERCEPTIN.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #47
Steph N

You may be thinking of ABRAXANE. It is a new form of taxane that is less hard on the patient who takes it than Taxol or Taxotere.
My med onc likes this new form a lot and would give me that if I need chemo again.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #48
Avril

Has anyone used Herceptin for early stage BC when the invasion is less than 5mm and no lymph node involvement but pathology was Her2+ and estrogen and progesterone negative? The oncologist has not recommended it since the invasion was so small but he did recommend chemo and I wonder if he should have recommended Herceptin as well?
Thanks,
Avril
Old 06-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #49
Meg

Hi All,
I have my last chemo 7/9. I will then go to Herceptin every 3 weeks until 3/05. I was wondering how the doctors decide you're NED? How often do they check and how. I will begin radiation in August, any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I'm glad I found you guys.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #50
Pedram

My wife just finished her herceptin trail after 15 months. Did anybody do post her2 blood level checks ? We feel a bit naked here without the Herceptin now and just wondered if any her2 test should be done which might indicate the need to get back on Herceptin. Currently she is NED. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. Pedram
Old 07-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #51
Joe

Your wife's oncologist should schedule follow up exams at regular intervals.
By blood tests, I assume that you mean tumor markers. This is only one of several tests that should be done. Your wife should continue to do self examinations and report anyting suspicious. Vigilance is the key.

Warmest Regards
Joe
Old 07-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #52
susanne

Okay ladies! Anyone out there that has had removal of ovaries, tell me about it, and do you think it was worth it. ALSO, I have started on faslodex (and herceptin , which I;ve already been on for a year). The main "complaint" is bone mets, but I have had pleural based too in the past. The warning about these bone mets came when I discovered a few skin mets on my chest, which I had removed. I don't mind surgery. I believe in having as much taken out as possible.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #53
Lolly

Are you ER/PR+? Just curious, cause I've wondered about ovarian removal myself, even though my cancer is ER/PR-.
Love, Lolly
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #54
Elisabeth

Yikes, quite a day for you. Kind people in our lives make all the difference does'nt it> I am glad you like your rad onc. I saw mine yesterday too and he is good as well. I can imagine the back issues. With the 3 seizures I had last month that led my mets I wrenched my upper back and just to lie on the table for less than five minutes can be distressing for me still. I am glad you are feeling yourself. I hope this works well.
Blessings, Elisabeth
Old 09-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #55
Deb F

I'm looking at doing a 2nd opinion. Has anyone gone to the Cancer Center in Tulsa, OK or the one in Zion, IL. I'm considering going there, but would like to hear from anyone of you that have gone there. Thanks. Deb F
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #56
Susan M

Thanks to Joe and Christine and all
who post for the great info.
Does anyone know which docs are considered to
be the best in HER2 in the Philadelphia
area? NY to Washington DC?
I am just trying to get my ducks in a row should I need a second opinion in the near future.
Thanks,
Susan M
Old 09-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #57
Joe

In late 2002, I posted on this and other sites a request for doctor's who were highly recommended by their patients.

These are the docs that you would recommend to your Mom, sister, daughter. best friend, etc.

Click the link below for the list.

Wramest Regards
Joe
Old 09-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #58
Sandy H.

Has anyone heard of using ice during infustion of Taxol to prevent neuropathy in hands and feet? I was in oncology last week and this patient with lungs mets, had his hands and feet wrapped in ice by his wife. She was changing them every 30 minutes saying in Canada that is what they do during treatment. He said it was working because his hands and feet felt great. I asked him how many treatments he has had and he said 4 taxol. I don't think he has had enough to notice anything in his hands and feet. They use to live in Canada. Just wondering about this and if anyone else has done it? Hugs, Sandy
Old 09-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #59
Merridith from Canada

I finished my rounds of Taxol in May of this year in Vancouver,BC. It was never suggested to me to do this, although I was told that applying cold to my head might delay the hair falling out...
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 AM   #60
celina

Hi Sandy,
My sister who receives treatment in Ottawa, Canada was telling me that people in her clinic use ice as well. I think she said that they leave their hands in ice water. Will ask more about this when I see her.