HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
Audrey

Hi Amanda just read your post. Sorry you have joined the breast cancer club--You said you wanted to hear positive stories about the chemo experience and survival--so I am happy to share my experience with you--I had 4 rounds of Adriamican/Cytoxan (every 3 weeks for 12 weeks). followed by weekly Taxol for 12 weeks--the chemo experience was rough but it really helped me to drink lots of water before treatment and get lots of rest afterward. If I tried to get up and start doing too much then I would feel sick but if I just rested then it wasn't so bad. I only threw up once the whole time--they have really come out with some good anti-nausea drugs so be sure to take them on schedule after treatment. I definitely recommend getting a port-a-cath so the nurses can have easy access to your veins. The worst part for me was the nurses trying to get the IVs started in my arm--once I got a port everything went much more smoothly. It's really hard losing your hair especially the eyelashes and eyebrows but it really makes you think about what really makes a person beautiful is on the inside--still " if you have the opportunity to attend one of those ""Look Good" " Feel Better"" sessions" they give you all sorts of make-up tips and tricks to do with scarves etc. The radiation experience was not so bad--it's painless and doesn't take long. The Herceptin treatments were so easy for me compared to the chemo--I had weekly Herceptin for one year and found it very easy to tolerate with no real side effects. Hang in there during the rough times there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel--I finished treatment one year ago this March and am feeling great& very happy to be alive after a grim prognosis. The hair all grows back and life is pretty much back to normal for me except I am a whole lot braver now and wiser. It is a hard road but I know you'll get through it. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail if you feel like it. I had so much support during my treatment I'm eager to pay it forward.. You have my best wishes for successful treatment--Audrey