HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
rinaina

When to have first post surgical and post treatment mammo

I am utterly confused once again. My onc wants me to have a mammo before the end of the year which is soon. My surgeon wants me to wait until March 2007 which would be one year after last one. My surgery was April 19. My surgeon says that if I have one now, it would probably show something, most likely scar tissue but it would just work everyone up. How do I know what to do? Does the confusion ever stop. Oh also, the surgeon wants me to have what he called a diagnostic mammo. Is this different from a regular mammo? He said he will see me with the results the same day. So do I wait until March or do I go soon like the onc wants me too?
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Hopeful

Rinaina,

My last mammo was my annual from this year in April, where the "architectural distortion" that turned out to be bc showed up. I had two sugeries in June, the second to clean up one positive margin, then radiation from mid-August through September. Both my surgeon and my radiologist independently arrived at the same conclusion, that I should wait about 6 months post-radiation to allow the breast to "settle down," and just have my annual screening on both breasts a month early, in March. My follow-up with the surgeon is scheduled for then.

Hope this helps,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Rinaina!

I had a similiar experience. But it was just the opposite! My surgeon wanted me to have a mam. 6 months after my surgery, but my onc. told me to wait. I'm still taking chemo and Herceptin and he wants me to finish the chemo first. (I'm to finish chemo on Dec. 15) However, I did have a CT scan in Sept. and have another Dec. 8. The one in Sept. showed the mas. area clean. So I felt like it was ok to wait on the mam. I have radiation Jan. and Feb. and herceptin through June, so I'll bet they won't do the mam. til at least after Feb.
It is hard to know what is right and who is right, but I ask tons of questions and I so trust my onc. He's agressive with his treatment; so I believe he would do one if he thought it was warranted.
Good luck on your decision and God bless,
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
panicked911

In New york the law entitles you to a breast MRI. I am not sure what the laws are elsewhere. With that said 2 oncologists and my surgeon all agreed mamoo w/ sonogram end of the year and MRI in may . Every six moths. has the first MRI 7 moths after first surgery ( lumpectomy 10/5/05) and second to clear up margins ( 1/15/06). This will be the protocal for the first five years.

For women who get really skitzy before the tests - then it can be done once a year. Either way is appropriate. I would rather know sooner rather than later.
For those of us with dense breats, a sonogram is a must w/ a mamogrm even if it is digital - they are nortoriously unreliable. I my case it was caught by a sonogram - only performed a my instence after the mamo technician thought she saw somethign o the "otherside".

Hope this helps.

Susanne
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
juanita

I had my first post-op mammo 6 months after the surgery. And if I had to do it again i would ask for a pain killer. I was in a lot of pain for a few days after the mammo, but didn't want to sound like a baby and complain about it so I toughed it out. I know better now.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
kari

Rinaina,
My onc would only do a mammo 1 year after my original one, which was Nov 10/05. (My lumpectomy was Dec '05 and mastectomy was Jan '06). I had digital mammo two weeks ago, and the report said everything looks normal, "benign tissue". It's like we are "allowed" only one per year, unless there is clinical evidence to do one sooner. But then again, there is no sense in any extra radiation if you don't need it. Just be vigilent with BSE and knowing how everything feels to you now, so you can notice any small changes later.
Good luck.
Take care,
Karen

"The Good Lord gave us mountains, so we could learn how to climb!"
kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Bev

Hi there. I had an option to do MRI and mammo every year together or alternate mammo and MRI every 6 months which is what I have chosen to do. Had first testing 2 months after rads, almost 9 months after surgery. I thought diagnostic was suspected problems and comprehensive was for history of BC. Syntax may not matter, as long as you are on a digital machine. I have found a real difference in the providers of mammos here. The original place I went to felt kind of 3rd world. The new place is like heaven or a spa. I really expected all providers to be as bad as the original. Good luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
sadie

Radiation dr did mamm only on affected breast before starting radiation (6 mos post op lumpectomy); Oncologist agreed, saying this was a normal procedure.
Then 6 mos later, I had my annual mamm plus an mri on affected breast (due to denseness in breast on pre-op mammogram). I also had chest xray once every week during 5 wk radiation treatments.
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
Smiley

Mammo

Hi,
I went thru a similiar problem. My surgeon finally decided I should have a mammo end of Dec. or early Jan. My surgery (lumpectomy) was done Nov. 30th last year.My radiologist gave me some very good advise. He told me NOT to panic when I got the results unil I saw my surgeon. Many times scar tissue shows up as "something" and we are frightened to death for no reason.
Hope this helps.
Smiley
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
Smiley

Mammo

Hi,
This may come thru twice as I am new to this site.
I had surgery 11/30/06 (lumpectomy and lymph node removal) My surgeon decided my first post surgery mammo should be late Dec. of this yr. or early Jan. My radiologist gaveme some excellent adivse - many times scar tissue shows up as "something" and we get scared to death. Do not panic until you see your surgeon. Hioe wthis helps.
Smiley
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote