HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
pattie

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has faced this delemma. I have Stage IV ER+ and Her2+ bc. I am on femara (had been on tamoxifan in the past) and I get herceptin every 3 weeks. Was originally diagnosed in 1989 Stage I DCIS and the cancer recurred in 1999 and spread to the pleural lining of my left lung. I went to my gynocologist yesterday and she suggested that because of my history I should have a hysterectomy and have my ovaries removed. I talked to my onc and she agrees that that would be a good idea. I feel kind of punched in the stomach. April it will be 5 years since my recurrence and all this time no one has ever mentioned that I should do this. I don't know what the right thing to do is. Do I do this major operation "just in case", or wait it out? I was wondering if anyone else here has faced this, or done it and how it has worked out. I am also facing a possible recurrence to my back. I had an MRI done on Monday and there was a suspicious spot, am going for a bone scan next week hopefully to rule out milignancy. Please respond. I am scared and nervous. Thank you
Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Marsha B

Pattie,
Yes I had the same issuces I had stage3 breast cancer seven years ago with 17 postive nodes. Did chemo, rads and Tamoifen for five years. I am also ER+ and HER2+ about a year ago I had a hyster. because my body was once again making to much estrogren. I am so glad i di it. It was a relief to not worry aboyt tha. But last June i had a recurrence to my liver. So here we are again. Please feel free to email me.mpbrekke@vaderandlandgra.com

go well, Marsha B
Old 01-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
michele u

pattie,
I was dx last year with stage 3 bc. I was er- pr- and her2+++ I took my ovaries out even though I was estrogen neg. I just didn't it to ever spread to the ovaries. I wanted my uterus out to but my surgeon couldn't do it then because I was having my auxillary dissection and it took 7 hours.I wished I had it out. I know a gal that was on Tamoxifen and they told she had one in a thousand chances to get endometrial cancer from it and she got it. She then had it out of course. So If I was you jut take it all out and that will be one less thing to worry about! But the down side is the hotflashes. Mine are much better on Effexor. It is an antidepressent buts helps hot flashes also.