HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #41
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink FUNNY MEETING *ME* HERE...of all places!!!

TONIGHT I MADE RESERVATIONS. No joke. I will order a salad w/balsamic vinaigrette dressing (maybe add a little bleu cheese) and their special -- lobster nail, 1 stuffed shrimp and a crab cake, w/basmati rice and Spinach Maria (some very slightly creamy ramekin of delicisousness). I will eat half and take half home. I will not have dessert. Never. No sugar. I will have a glass of cabernet.

I do not cook. Sorry. No recipes to share. Unless I check out my yellow plastic bag of good recipes to pass on. I am known for my cranberry relish. Should I find it??? Cranberries are at their sweetest right now! I make this for Thanksgiving every year. Used to make Ritz cracker stuffing I get rave revues for. Any one interested? That's all I got folks. Pretty much... GREAT THREAD LILY! If I get the urge to cook, I'll remember to look here! WE SHOULD COMPILE A FINGERLICKING COOKBOOK of recipes for EATING WELL ANDLIVING WITH CANCER. I just love all you gals... YOU DO IT ALL!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #42
Vi Schorpp

Pink Girl

Oh Pink Girl....didn't you also have a bag of chocolate on the 11th (see your post on page 1)...but you didn't have dinner, so I guess it's a draw.
I smile when I read your input!
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
PinkGirl

Question my confession

I don't eat as poorly as you might think, but I do have a sweet tooth.
It's genetic - if something is too sweet, we just drink more cold milk with
it. Anyway..........I do cook healthy meals most of the time, but they are
"ordinary" meals.....chicken, beef, broccoli, carrots, salad (ice burg lettuce or romaine), fresh veggies from the garden (tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, herbs, yellow beans)

I have two questions: What is a plantain? What is green lime soup? Third question: I don't know what you're supposed to do with an avocado. I'm not
even sure what they look like but I know I can buy them at our one grocery store. I think they are green and bumpy.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #44
Vi Schorpp

Andy

I'm interested in the Ritz cracker stuffing with Thanksgiving around the corner. My family loves my stuffing, but I'm always on the look-out for other variations. And thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #45
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Yummy Stuffing

CRACKER STUFFING -- for 20+ pp

6L Ritz boxes (Total 24 sleeves) hand crushed in large
bowl
Add 3-4 qts milk and stir w/crushed cracker pieces
8L white onions -- peeled, sliced and sliced again several
times
Saute in butter -- let cool and chop
2 boxes mushrooms -- washed, sliced and sliced again
Saute in butter
12 broiled hot/spicy sausages -- cooked and cut up in
small pieces
Stir EVERYTHING together w/excess butter from saute
pan -- go for it...

Add to taste: Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Ground black pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
8 egg yolks -- well beaten
8 egg whites -- well beaten
1 stick melted butter (cooled)

Fill 2L casseroles (I use disposable) -- 3"+ high
Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Cool, seal and refrigerate.
Reheat next day (after flavors have melded) at 350
degrees for 45 minutes.

Scoop some cooked stuffing into turkey and cook w/turkey -- for *inside* stuffing (different texture).
I prepare *outside* stuffing.

Serve in pretty bowl, w/large spoon...

1 yr I used Doxee Clams (drained) instead of turkey sausage. Every one loved it, until they heard *clams*...

The original prize winning recipe was for CLAM DIP:
Crushed Ritz crackers
Grated onion (which I chose to sautee but you
needn't)
Seasonings to taste as above
Doxee Clams (drained)
Heat in casserole at 350 degree oven
Serve w/crackers of your choice (Ritz, Wheat Thins,
whatever)
GUESTS TYPICALLY FORGO THE CRACKERS AND ASK FOR A PLATE AND FORK. (Very popular favorite often requested of me.)

So much to be THANKFUL for...

With love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #46
Carolyns

Hi Andi,

Am I reading the clam dip recipe correctly? Crackers, onions and clams? Is that it or did I miss something. I want to make it.

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #47
lilyecuadorian

WELL ,I own a explanation to Sandy from valley what is green lime in a can, and where can I get it? is a green lima bean soup put in a pan to boil like 30 minutes and add some cheese, a eggs and salt & peppers
well Pinkgirl this what you can do w/plantains:4 green plantains
2 cups vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel plantains and cut into 1-inch thick rounds.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan until hot but not smoking. Drop the plantain rounds into the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Set each fried plantain on a flat side, and using a rolling pin, frying pan, or whatever else you think will work, squash it as flat as you can. It should have a circular shape. Return the flattened plantain sections to the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until the entire surface is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the plantains from the oil, drain, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
and you can get from any spanish store or american too(international area)OR you can go to this site : http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...html?rsrc=like

and the avocado ...you can do too manys things ...make little pieces and add some green limes and some cilantro plus a grated red onions mixed with everything you can add to sanwiches or rice is a good cholesterol ...
today I ate chicken with yuca ,rice and avocado salsa and a papaya juice ...still thinking about my dinner... I just kidding about pizza ...maybe a banana and some good juice
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #48
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Quick Treats

Okay. I checked it out.

CLAM DIP (can stuff mushrooms w/it if you'd like or serve as a casserole/dip w/crackers)...

2 sleeves Ritz crackers (crushed)
1 lemon -- squeeze juice out
2 8-oz cans Doxi minced clams AND JUICE (not drained)
1 onion (grated) or sauteed in butter
Put in dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
(Should be loose)

A friend tried white clam suace w/minced clams

COLD CLAM DIP
1 8-oz can Doxi minced clams (reserve 1Tablespoon to soften cream
cheese)
1 3-oz cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon scallions or onions chopped
l/2 teaspoon Worcestshire Sauce
Can add whipped heavy cream w/juice of 1 lemon
Mix in clams last
CHILL

ALTERNATIVE COLD CLAM DIP
1 8-oz can Doxi minced clams (drained)
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon sale
ground pepper
garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestire Sauce
Mix and CHILL

ENJOY! LET US ALL KNOW WHICH YOU TRIED AND HOW IT WAS, PLEASE...
Andi

Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #49
Vi Schorpp

Andi

Thanks so much for the dressing recipe...I know that took you a lot of time. I will make this eventually and let you know how it turned out.

Vi
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #50
cafe1084

My sister and I love to have weekend dinners together and we share the cooking tasks. This weekend, I found a recipe for a soup that I was really unsure of...until I tasted it! It was so heart-warming and healthy, and it's my new favorite soup! The recipe is listed below:

1-1/2 Tbsp. Promise Butter Spread or Smart Balance spread
1 medium leek (pale green and white part), sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups peeled, seeded and diced butternut squash (about 1 small)
1 small carrot, chopped
4 cups no fat, reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups baby spinach leaves leaves, coarsely chopped
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. EACH salt and ground black pepper

In 4-quart saucepot, melt Promise Butter Spread or smart balance spread over medium heat and cook leek 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in squash and carrot and cook 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Simmer covered 2 minutes.

I also made a salad with diced mango, diced apple, baby spinach leaves, dark seedless grapes, unprepared/pre-packaged coleslaw mix, and sliced almonds with a light spray of blush balsamic vinaigrette. She roasted a turkey breast loin and steamed some green beans with red peppers. Very good eats!

For avocado, because I saw a question about it earlier in the post:
I never really knew what to do with them either, but my sister's husband who is from guatemala says that you should eat avocado with every meal. They slice it up and it is served on the plate with the other food, the way most people do rice, pasta, or potatoes. The taste is not overwhelming and it is high in fat, but a good fat that unclogs your arteries and reduces your cholesterol. I find it interesting that if you use only 1/2 of the avocado, leave the seed in the other half and it will keep. Take the seed out and it goes bad very quickly.

Last edited by cafe1084; 11-05-2007 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: addition
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #51
hutchibk

Andi BB- Cranberry relish, YES YES!!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #52
Sheila

Pink Girl
Avacados are green and lumpy, but so are cucmbers, just different shapes! I love homeade guacamole, made like this: ( I make alot at a time)
10-12 Ripe Avacados
2-3 Limes
1 Lg Sweet Onion Chopped>>
2-3 Tomatoes Chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup jalapeno slices chopped
2 Pkgs Guacamole Seasoning Mix (I get at Jewel)>

Halve and scoop avacados. Mash with hand masher, Squeeze juice of limes over avacados and stir. Add chopped ingredients, stir. Add seasoning and stir. Place in bowl, place washed pits (2-3) in center to keep Guac. from turning. Cover with saran wrap. Chill. Serve with tostado chips.
I Love the homeade ones from the Mexican Store Here...I also take the guacamole and put it on rye bread with hot pepper chees and sprouts....yummy...I used to eat that every day from the health food store!
Oohhhh , now I'm hungry....maybe spinach artichoke dip......another favorite!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #53
hutchibk

You are making me hungry, Sheila - I love my avocados and guacamole!! Can't wait for San Antonio and some wonderful mexican food. Although we have some wonderful mexican food here in Austin, one of my fav restaurants in the whole world is in SA...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #54
juanita

Hey, I got 2 avocado pits to grow. I have 2 small trees growing. Can't wait to see if they produce anything. I have cereal everynight. Easier for me. I am looking for sourdough bread recipes. I have the starter, but you can eat only so many loaves of the white bread. Anybody got any?
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #55
PinkGirl

Post avacados

Thank you LilyE and Sheila,

I just realized that in my "ordinary, slightly isolated" life, I have never been to a Mexican restaurant. I will put that on my list of things to do in the big city.

I believe that I once saw guacamole when I was about 10 years old and wouldn't taste it. Would it seem right that a kid would say that it looks like barf? Anyway, now that I know they are the green, bumpy things that aren't cucumbers, I might make some guacamole for Christmas. After that I might tackle articokes..........hmmmm.......don't think I know what they look like either.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #56
Sheila

Pink Girl
I wouldn't eat artichokes or avacados if there wasn't other things with them...I can see that you thought guac was disgusting...kind of what I thought with the spinach artichoke dip...but them I tasted it and loved it.....also with homemade tortilla chips!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #57
lilyecuadorian

Do somebody try tamarind juice ? in my country, we belivie that tamarind clean the liver ...is a fruit from a big tree ....normaly we used for jucies ...I love it and now because I'm on Trial Trastuzumab-MCC-DM1 and I hear that suppose to be toxid to the liver .....so from now on I going to drink tamarind and papaya, both have the same effect cleaning the liver ...
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #58
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs
This is timely Lily, I was just looking around for liver cleaning foods to try to stay healthy while on Taxol. I will look around Tokyo to see if I can find any tamarinds (I can get papayas fairly easily.)
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #59
lilyecuadorian

Kathy dont worry ..for sure you will find out easy overthere because asian used a lot the tamarind for make dishes and overhere you can find tamarind on asian grocery store and just a note the papaya is great but is expencie. overhere is a luxury
Old 11-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #60
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Yumm!

Girls I love homemade guacamole too only I use fresh CILANTRO in the mix (probally in the dry mix Sheila buys). Brenda, meet me at my place and bring the girls, I am hungry too.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote