HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
Janet UK

Hi

I live in the UK and have been accepted for the HERA trial - Herceptin every three weeks for two years.

Diagnosed May 03 IDC 1.5cm node neg er/pr neg her/2 3+.

Treatment: Lumpectomy 6xFEC 33 rads and now Herceptin. First infusion last week - no adverse reactions.

Is anyone else on the HERA trial in the UK or elsewhere? What have been your experiences?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Christine Adams

Hi Janet

I live in Canada (Vancouver BC) -- though I was born in the UK -- and have submitted the forms for the HERA trial here. I have just finished chemo (also 6 x FEC) radiation begins at the end of the month and then I will be randomized into one of the trial 'arms' (I'm really hoping for 2 years of herceptin). Congratulations on getting into one of the treatment groups! and I'm pleased to hear that you suffered no adverse affects from your first infusion. Please keep us all posted on how you're doing.

Cheers

Christine

PS: Diagnosed June 25/03. 3cm IDC negative nodes Grade 3 ER- PR+ (supposedly very unusual) HER2+++
Old 01-13-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Janet

Christine

It's great to hear from you and I wish you all the luck in the world when you are randomised for the Herceptin. It is awful that it is such a lottery but you have a two thrids chance of getting it (for either one or two years) so I'm really hoping those odds work for you. In addition as you are PR+ maybe there's a chance of one of the hormone drugs working for you?

Let me know how you get on and good luck with the radio. I found this a breeze in comparison to the chemo.

Kind regards

Janet

PS My tumour was also grade 3 (I'm 38).
Old 03-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
jocelyn UK

Anyone geographically near me in Gloucestershire who could bring me up to speed with UK trials. Diagnosed March 03. Lumpectomy 6xFEC mastectomy & Lat dorsii reconstruction. Node negative. HER2+++.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #5
Janet UK

Jocelyn

I live in London and am receiving Herceptin through the HERA trial. My understanding is that the HERA trial is being run in centres throughout the UK and so you should be able to apply in Gloucestershire. You have a two in three chance of receiving Herceptin if you sign up for the trial. I have had four infusions and so far so good. Negligible side effects and another weapon in your armoury. Go for it if you can.