HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Shannon

Red face Heart and Herceptin...

Good Afternoon Ladies!!!!!

I was on Herceptin for 14 weeks and then pulled for 4 weeks as my MUGA dropped from a 52 to a 44. I knew from the AC/Taxol chemo rounds that I wouldnt make it up to a 50 in a 4 week period... as it took me 6 months to go from a 42 to a 52... so, in the 5 weeks, I went up one point to a 45.
I am now, 35 years old and REALLY want to continue on with Herceptin, as does my doctor... I would have to be closely monitored as I would be going back on Herceptin, being dropped from the clinical study, basically on my own.
I often think, as Heart Diease is the number one killer of women today, how many of those women had Breast Cancer treatment???
So, how nuts am I if I do continue with Herceptin with a MUGA of 45???
ANY comments or suggestions is much appreciated!!!
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Becky

Dear Shannon

I would suggest seeing a cardiologist. Although I did have a drop in MUGA, I am at 60 (started at 70) and am still good to go. However, many women on this site did see a cardiologist, and with drug therapy have been able to get back on Herceptin and stay on it.

I am sure some of these wonderful women will be able to give good advice. In the meantime, make an appointment to get the ball rolling.

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
jojo

Thumbs up Hi Shannon

There ARE some oncologists out there that would be willing to prescribe their patients with their EF as low as 45. (EF = ejection fraction, one way of measuring how strong the heart pumps oxygen & blood supply.) It is a bit unusual, but it DOES happen.

Good luck to you!

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Lolly

My last MUGA showed my LVEF(Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction) at 49%, down from 55%. My onc isn't TOO concerned yet, but we have it tested every six months. If it drops to a level he considers risky(didn't ask what that magic number would be ), I imagine he'll want to stop Herceptin until my heart recovers. I know that some have posted that they were able to successfully get back on Herceptin with no further problems after a break to let the heart recover. As Becky points out, a cardiologist's opinion would be very valuable at this point.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Rocky

My Muga went from 58 to 46 with A/C and I am not starting herceptin. I will have a recheck Muga in weeks to see if the rate goes up. My onc is hoping the A/C didn't do permant damage, but she believes my heart is not strong enough to tolerate herceptin for 1 year as was the original plan. Worries about not having enough herceptin to keep from having a recurrance. Some people on this board have been taking herceptin for years with good results. Am concern that I am er-pr- her2+++ with no other options than herceptin.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
jojo

Talking Shannon again

Hey Shannon,

I just noticed in your profile that you are from Bay Area. I also live here, too. Which side do you live on? I am out in the East Bay, but I go to San Francisco for cancer treatments.

I didn't have much trouble to get Herceptin off-label (I was stage 3 at original diagnosis), so if you need 2nd opinions or such, you are welcome to email me anytime: acrobaticfan@yahoo.com

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Barbara2

Rocky, have you tried Co Q-10? It brought me up from an EF of 50-52% to an EF of 60% in about two months or so. I do try to walk a couple of miles every day, so that probably contributed, but I was walking before starting the Co Q-10.

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
margaret

Hi,
I justed wanted to share my experience with muga scans. I had my first muga scan at diagnosis and it came out to be 49. They weren't sure if they would give me herceptin. I did 4 rounds of A/C and then had another muga. It then read a 58. So according to these readings, the 3 months of harsh A/C actually improved my heart significantly. My oncologist laughed at the results. Obviously there is a large margin of error in these muga scans. I would hope that no one is ever prevented from getting herceptin just because of 1 low muga scan reading. I for one do not put any credit in one low muga scan reading. I had a very healthy heart the whole time and had no trouble with the herceptin. Thank god, my oncologist didn't just react to the first low reading.

Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote