HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
teresa

My mom (50 yrs. old) was diag. Jan 2004 dcis. Had lumpectomy, dirty margin, with invasive DC 3mm. in center.Doctors were very suprised since it did not show up in mammogram 3 mo. earlier. Last week, mastectomy, no nodes. Mast. showed 2 more spots IDC 2mm, and 4mm. (too small to be detected by mammogram) her2+++. I am nervous. It sounds good, but who knows.Anyone else had invasive cancer found "by accident"?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
PaulaC

Your mother's case sounds a lot like mine, although I had one positive node. My cancer presented as Paget's Disease and there was no palpable lump (although the breast surgeon finally found what felt like a grain of sand). Nothing showed up on either a mammogram or sonogram. I was in clinical trial with Herceptin for a year, along with chemotherapy but I feel fine now and am resuming a "normal" life -- although life after a cancer diagnosis is different than before. Your mother has some rough spots ahead but she should be okay and she's lucky to have your support.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Sheila

Teresa
Your Mom sounds like me...found on a routine mammogram, then when the microcalcifications were biopsied, I had IDC 0.7cm, Her2 3+....clean nodes, but now 1 1/2 years later I have mets to the lymph nodes by my collar bone...push for Herceptin now if you can find a Dr to give it...it might save her from Mets down the road...by the way, mine was discovered when I was 50, I am 52 now...I feel good, just cautious...I am on Herceptin now, wish I had gotten at the beginning...most Dr's won't give it with clean nodes...PUSH FOR IT!!!!
Hugs
Sheila
Old 04-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
teresa

Sheila,Did you have a lumpectomy, or mastectomy? Radiaton or any chemo? Mom goes next week to oncologist. They say she is borderline for chemo treatment.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Lisa

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I think many of us had cancers "accidentally" found. Based on her pathology, if she can take Herceptin, either with chemo or in a trial, she should seriously consider it. It is that Her 2+++ which makes the chance for recurrence so strong. Talk to her onc.

Love and healing light,

Lisa
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
Sheila

I also was borderline, I had a mastectomy. no chemo or radiation due to the small tumor and clean nodes...from what I've seen here on this board, with the Her2 being positive, I dont believe chemo would have prevented recurrence...but I do believe Herceptin would have...my prayers are that your Mom will do fine...but I would really push the Herceptin even if it means a clinical trial!!!
Hugs
Sheila
Old 04-10-2004, 04:37 AM   #7
Steph N.

Sorry to hear about your Mom - but you are at the right place for some "advice from experience."

I also had a "clean" mammogram 3 months before I found my lump, and did not have any calcifications to watch for.
Sounds like your Mom has a fast growing kind (like me), except I had several positive nodes even tho clean margins with lumpectomy.
Chances of recurrance or distant metastesis are higher with her cell biology, and the other ladies who posted are RIGHT about pushing for Herceptin.
My liver mets appeared only 6 months after the first round of agressive chemo with Adriamycin and Taxotere plus radiation. I could not get Herceptin at that time, but sure get it now!

I feel that this type of cancer diagnosis DOES warrent going the extra mile and getting chemo. They may put your Mom on a trial with a chemo PLUS Herceptin so THAT is what you want to get out of her doctor at the very least.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
eleanor

I also had a clean mammogram in June, found a lump the size of my thumbnail in Dec., by Jan. (just 3 weeks) it was the size of a lemon, by the time it was removed (February) it was the size of a baseball. Dr's figure it didn't even start until Sept and this was back in '99. I have lobular cancer and it is not always detected early (unfortunately), but I am in my 5th year of fighting (mets to bones but currently ned).
There is life after dx, it's just different
el