HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Hopeful

Could multivitamins raise breast cancer risk?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100329/...amins_cancer_1

There are links to this story also in the news forum, but I wanted to include it here with a personal observation. When you purchase vitamins, make sure to look at the list of ingredients - it isn't just the vitamin you are getting. I have seen soy listed as an ingredient on vitamin bottles and make a point to avoid it. My interpretation of this article is that the women who got bc may have been getting regular doses of soy they were not aware of.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
TanyaRD

Re: Could multivitamins raise breast cancer risk?

I just read this too. Your theory is interesting, Hopeful. Generally though the soy in the MVI is not a component containing isoflavones which is the biggest concern for breast cancer although some MVI and now calcium supplements contains genistein. It would be interesting to see the nutrient breakdown of the MVI used in the study. I wonder about folic acid. There has been recent discussion on over-supplementation of folic acid and colon cancer. It is just a thought. I will be following this as I am sure many of you will also do.

Here is the PubMed link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20335555

Also, I note that the study used self-administered questionnaires which may lead to some inaccuracies in reporting lifestyle habits. My overall feeling on this study is that there is not enough solid information to link MVI and breast ca. As indicated in the study, further investigation is needed. I guess it gives us another reason to focus on a healthy, well-balanced diet.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Laurel

I am not convinced modest consumption of soy is an offender for ER+ bc, however, there have been studies regarding elevated levels of iron (Fe), folic acid, and thiamine that seem to promote t cancer proliferation. I avoid iron, thiamine, and folic acid for that reason. They are nearly always present in high amounts in MVIs.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Becky

This is just another lifestyle thing that is difficult to interupt fully. One thing I don't like about multi's is what really is the RDA of each component. For example, many multi's have vitamin D in them. The RDA is 200iu (some have 400iu). Well, now it is recommended to take 800iu and if I only took 800iu, I am sure that I would not be in the normal range (blood work wise) for vitamin D as I take about 4200iu per day and my levels are 46 (range is 32 - 100) so obviously, for me, my RDA is much higher (blood range in my family is a problem and those who are low or non-existant did get bc so I watch my daughters closely). So, my point is what is my folic acid requirement and if by taking a multi am I overdosing on some stuff and underdosing on others. I think if you eat a really balanced diet, then supplementing with Vitamin D, Omega 3 and perhaps some oddities like mushroom and curcumin would be just fine.

One day we will be like Star Trek where instantly you will be told what to do in regard to your unique genotype.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Hopeful

Quote:
One day we will be like Star Trek where instantly you will be told what to do in regard to your unique genotype.
Beam me up, Scotty!

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Bill

"Becky The Trekkie!"