HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Tricia

Question Can't feel tumor but lymph nodes are so large..

OK this is driving me crazy!!! Stage 3b have one more round of TCH to go and I can't feel the cancer that was 7cm in my right breast (praise God) however my right lymph nodes are so large and palpable and still very tender. Why or how would these heavy doses of TCH take a very large tumor in the breast undetectable (by me, by touch anyway) and yet no changes to my lymph nodes??? When I had my original surgery to do a lumpectomy on Jan 4 2007 they went in sure it was NOT breast cancer...you know all that too young crap, breast cancer doesn't hurt, no family history etc.... must be an old milk duct infection or something.... when they got in there cancer was everywhere(their words not mine) wrapped around my ribs, attached to the chest wall in the lymph nodes etc.... Dr closed me up and said that I needed intensive Pre-op chemo to try to shrink as much as they could before going back in..... he never surgically went into the lymph node area and said that now that he had been in there a sentinal node biopsy couldnt be done...but he was 100% sure that my nodes were affected because they were very large etc. Because they havent shrunk in size does that mean that the TCH is not helping there?? My onc already told me they all have to come out anyway...but I just want this cancer stopped and I feel if its in my nodes then its just traveling all over my body.
er+/pr- her2 +++ Stage 3b
several tumors
largest 7cm
port placed on Jan 18, 2007
Chemo started Jan 22, 2007
Herceptin/ Taxol every 3d week and then my Dr changed me to Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin
every 3d week
Right Mastectomy w/ Lymph Node Dissection 4/19/07
27 removed 9 positive
Margins-clear but wall to wall
Radiation scheduled for 6/07
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
heblaj01

Tricia,
Ask your onc if you can take Omega-3 fish oil pills. It may at least help reduce inflammation of the lymph nodes.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Grace

Tricia--I hate to see you worrying like this, but I know you can't help it.

One thought regarding your nodes. I had three nodes removed, all of them negative by IHC testing. All three were swollen, described by the pathologist as reactive. When I asked what they were reacting to, he said perhaps the initial biopsy, perhaps the cancer itself, and perhaps an infection of some kind not related to cancer. Whatever the case, they were all negative for cancer and were very large.

In fact, my beast surgeon thought my cancer was worse than it was (5mm), I believe from feeling these lymph nodes before surgery. Lymph nodes, I gather, can be enlarged for many reasons.

If your cancer is retreating, that's really good news. Perhaps if you call your doctor and tell him of your anxiety, he can give you some relief. Very good luck.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Linda

Hi Tricia:
I also had a large tumor, lymph involvement and neo chemo. All I can tell you is that where you are at right now is very difficult. If you can feel any part of the tumor shrinking and/or softening, THAT IS GOOD and means that the chemo is working. Some women get tumor shrinkage but still have positive nodes after chemo, some get node clearance, but still have tumor left in the breast, some have a combo, a small percentage of lucky women get a complete response -- but that's not common. Try not to obcess about it (easy for me to say -- I think I tried to measure my lump and node area fifty times a day during neo chemo.) If they scan, you may get some info, but even scans are not always accurate. You won't know exactly how much is gone until they do surgery again. Just know, if any part of the palpable tumor is getting smaller, you are RESPONDING.
Good luck. Neo chemo is really hard emotionally -- you're dealing with the chemo side effects plus the steroids at the same time you're filled with worry about what will happen next.
Do anything you can during this time to take care of yourself. I had good shrinkage with neo chemo, but still had plenty of cancer left at surgery. (stage 3) Even so, I'm almost two years out and NED.
All my best
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
tousled1

Tricia,

I had neoadjunct chemo due to a very large tumor. I took 4 A/C followed by 4 Taxatere. The chemo was hard on me but it did indeed shrink the tumor. I knew before surgery that my lymph nodes were involved because I had the surgeon do a needle biopsy of them. We just didn't know how extensive until surgery. I am now on Herceptin only and NED. Don't despair -- you'll do great! Just take it one day at a time and make sure you do something nice for yourself once a week.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Tricia

Smile

Thank you Grace, Linda and Kate.... I needed to hear some words of encouragement today. Things are hard for me right now... I am feeling so sick and emotionally drained, worried, scared, nervous... you all know the wave of emotions going through this journey. I can't tell you how wonderful I think everyone is here...kind and uplifting so supportive and ready to give your own heart just to help another woman starting her own breast cancer journey. I find myself on here reading the thoughts and stories out loud to my husband..... look she had to do this and she had to do that and she is still hanging in there. God Bless all of you who has been there or just starting. It breaks my heart that so many women are facing this ugly evil cancer, But I know that our Lord God works for the good in all things.
er+/pr- her2 +++ Stage 3b
several tumors
largest 7cm
port placed on Jan 18, 2007
Chemo started Jan 22, 2007
Herceptin/ Taxol every 3d week and then my Dr changed me to Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin
every 3d week
Right Mastectomy w/ Lymph Node Dissection 4/19/07
27 removed 9 positive
Margins-clear but wall to wall
Radiation scheduled for 6/07
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Linda

Tricia:
Keep us posted. It sounds like you're almost finished with your chemo. Not having all those drugs in your body will make everything easier (and herceptin alone is a piece of cake.) If you can barely feel what was a 7 cm tumor, that's very good. Will your next surgery be right away?
Good luck
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
LAURIE

You can do it!!! "keep your chin up" that's what someone told me and it really made me feel strong. I got my tattoos today to start rads. My first tattoos ever!!

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote