HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
VyvL

My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with this.

I am stage 1a her2+ grade 3. No lymph nodes involved. (Left side) I received 12 weekly infusions of taxol/herceptin. This ended July 5. Since then herceptin only weekly. I begin a 6 week session of daily radiation next Monday. My oncologist has suspended herceptin during that period saying this is what he always does. He said my cancer was so small there shouldn't be a problem. I'll still get a year of herceptin so I shouldn't be concerned. Well, I am and he knows it because I've questioned this decision. He says the combo could possibly damage my heart (which had been checked thoroughly and is fine) because I was diagnosed with anxiety just prior to this diagnosis, if I question anything, I feel like he only sees unrealistic anxiety. And has on occasion said...Why do you worry so much? It's not worry it's concern about doing what's best in my situation. I've trusted him on every turn until this. I'm old enough to know the difference. I'm just not comfortable suspending herceptin. I can't find any studies that support this for like situations. Any thoughts.
VyvL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
jaykay

Re: My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with thi

Hi and congratulations on completing chemo. My herceptin was not suspended during my radiation. I was on an every three week schedule, not every week and my radiation was on my right side, not my left. Haven't heard of herceptin being suspended during radiation but maybe some of the other people on the board have.

Best
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Becky

Re: My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with thi

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles

Although herceptin may not be stopped during rads, being a lefty versus a right can increase heart toxicity.

For peace of mind, maybe you can get one 3 week dose just before if your onc won't relent and let you continue. Also, the half life of herceptin is 25 days so some will be in you even after you're done. If you have to stop, make sure to ask if you need to have the larger loading dose again.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
VyvL

Lightbulb Re: My herceptin is being suspended during 6 week radiation. Not comfortable with thi

I understand each of our situations might be a bit different but supporting each other along the way is golden. Thank you for each of your responses. Your input is much appreciated.
I will see my onco next Tuesday for my regular monthly visit. He expects me to have questions...so I will ask about the loading dose, clarification about toxicity concerns, and herceptin half life for my weekly infusions.
VyvL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Hopeful

My bc was on the left side, and I received Herceptin and radiation at the same time. At the time (2006), there was information that having both together promoted synergy between the two. Both my onc and rads onc were in agreement on having the treatments together. I have had no heart issues to date. I did take COQ 10 for the duration of rads treatment - Becky, you were a proponent of that, weren't you?

Best of luck to you with your treatment plan Vyvl,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
Becky

I have always been a proponent of CoQ10 during Herceptin treatment. 400 mg per day really can help keep the ejection factor up.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote