HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
hutchibk

The 411 on me... not much too new, but a new wrinkle or two.

OK, here's the 411-

1. Mets to my pituitary area: I finished 25 days of low dose targeted IMRT rads to my infindibulum (pituitary gland/sella turcica) last Weds. Oct. 14. All went extremely well, no complications, no side effects other than fatigue and a little blurry vision, from suspected mild swelling in the area of the optic chiasm, which will self correct.

Without a biopsy, we can't determine 100% that these two tiny spots were mets, they could have been benign pituitary adenoma. I spoke to both my onc and rads onc, a neurosurgeon and my new Endocrinologist, who all agreed that this is NOT an area that anyone should be biopsying... that said, upon looking at the MRI, the Endo said that the spots did not look consistent with adenoma, so we are assuming mets.

These mets were outside of the BBB (as my onc calls it, the Better Business Bureau, ha). So, they were inside the internal boney structure of the skull. They are now effectively zapped, bye bye.

Side effects of having a tumor near/touching the very sensitive pituitary gland can be numerous, and I think I lucked out. It turns out I do have a Human Growth Hormone deficiency from the pituitary getting it's feelings hurt... but we won't be supplementing me with HGH shots (because I am a mets patient with the chance of active cancer lurking beneath the levels of detection. HGH supplementation can fuel cancer growth, and if I did do the HGH shots I would no longer be eligible to ride in the Tour de France, play Major League Baseball, or compete in the Olympics, which would be a bummer). The Endo tells me that supplementing it isn't imperative, but in a healthy person would be recommended, as there are a few complications it can cause. In my case she says the risks mitigate those complications and I do not present with those complications anyway, other than the midsection thickness/spare tire, that could also just be 50 yr old menopausal woman.

The other side effect of an insulted pituitary is that I might have 'diabetes insipidus' which is also called water diabetes, and it just means that you have excessive thirst and excessive urination, and urine is not concentrating properly. I will have results from a final urine collection next week. If I have it, it is a fairly easy fix with a once a day nasal spray of vasopressin. I am actually starting to think that I won't end up positive for this, as since radiating the pituitary tumor, my thirst has started to decrease, so maybe we reversed this side effect and made the pituitary happy... but I will know more next week.

2. My tumor markers have increased slowly and slightly over the summer. This could be a combination of two events. One could be shedding of cancer cells from the radiation. The other could (and probably is) from the increase in size and activity of the spot we have been watching on my right illiac crest (rear pelvic bone). It is still small, but showing slight progression.

We have decided it is time to radiate that sucker, too and just get rid of it. I will meet with the rads onc tomorrow to set a plan. We had cogitated about changing systemic pharmaceutical treatment as well (went over several thoughts, options, trials), but since there is nothing else showing up on PET, my onc wants to 'not upset the apple cart' just now and pile on new side effects when we don't see anything else new showing up. It seems that for the most part, the Herceptin/Tykerb is still holding me pretty well. We will PET (and MRI appropriate spots) every three months to stay on top of everything and monitor TMs closely, and the minute that something brand new appears we will talk about changing up the systemic treatment. This week we talked about treatments I have not had yet including Abraxane, Gemzar, Navalbine, Avastin (and Ixempra, but neither one of us is a fan of that one just now)... and he also mentioned the Heat Shock Protein trial that I would qualify for which he finds very interesting, (and we are still cogitating about seriously), the TDM-1 trial if there is one open within a reasonable vicinity, and then watching pertuzimab, nertatinib, and pazopanib results. Seems there are lots of things still in the pipeline, hopefully, if and when needed.

3. The one systemic change we made was adding Aromasin back into my treatment. We dropped it a few years ago thinking that it wasn't gaining us anything, but with new info he thinks that it might be another tool that can't do any harm and might buy us some results... I tolerated it really well before, so I am excited to welcome it back. Whatever it takes to keep this stuff at bay I am open for and the smaller the measures needed, the better in my book.

4. So, for now, I am keeping steady with Herceptin/Tykerb/adding Aromasin and doing my 3 month Zometa, and irradiating the bone spot on the illiac crest. Maybe adding vasopressin nasal mist if I present with 'water diabetes' after urine collection test is done next week.

Whew. My fingers are tired. I think I might be qualified (as we all might) to get a job as a doctor's dictation transcriber... ya think?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 10-24-2009 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: typo
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote