HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
harrie

Acupunture and "sick energy"

Very recently I had a great 6 month check up with my oncologist. My markers were all very low and my lab results were all good.
THEN....I went to my acupunturist for some therapy and got a call back from her telling me she detected significant amts of "sick energy" meaning I had active cancer cells. She said she could tell because that night after working on me she was very very tired. She highly recommended I take this Chinese herbal medicine tea to boost my immune system. She told me of instances where it reduced tumour growth.
She told me she was sure that sick energy came from me and not someone else and she also told me that I had time to think about it.
I can't tell you how upset I was to hear what she told me! Talk about being hit blindsided!!
She said she would be unable to tell me what is in the tea (I wanted to tell my onco what was in it).
I informed my onco telling him what happened. So far i have not agreed to take the tea. He is skeptical and said he wanted to talk to her but so far have not heard back from him.
I am not so acutely stressed as before, but it still weighs heavily in the back of my mind.
Does anyone have any opinons?
Has anyone ever had experiences with an acupunturist similar to mine????
At a minimum I will now probably do a MRI or CAT scan just to alleviate the seeds of fear that have been planted. Insurance may not cover based on an acupunturist findings.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
StephN

Re: Acupunture and "sick energy"

Hi Harrie -

How long have you been treated by this person? Do you take other herbs that you get from her? Sounds strange to me, too.

I have gone for a few acupuncture treatments (as have others I know personally) and it seems that all such practitioners are trained in Chinese herbal concoctions. They get a percentage of the price from the herbs they sell.

Mine recommended a blend of herbs against inflammation and water retention. I used it for a couple of months and it seemed to have a small effect, but then my doctors found the source of my problem and I went back to "western medicine" and my problem was solved.

If you want to repeat your blood work sooner than your usual schedule, maybe that would ease your mind.

P.S. The herbal powder I took had ALL the ingredients listed, as does the herbs my sister takes. I was able to look most of the names as they were written in English letters.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 05-03-2010 at 11:00 AM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Acupunture and "sick energy"

Wow !! I have never heard of this either. It sounds suspicious.
I have a licensed naturopath who is also a licensed acupuncturist and a doctor of oriental medicine. He has done alot of acupuncture on me, including when I had very active cancer in my body and he never told me I made him tired.
I suggest you try a different acupuncturist and see if you get the same reaction. You could bring the tea to the second acupuncturist or to a store where they sell Chinese herbs and see if they can tell what's in the tea.
Do you have a friend who can read Chinese? That person might be able to tell you more if the tea is in a package or box with Chinese language on it.
If there is a little English on the package try doing an internet search using those terms. Plum Flower Brand is a well known brand of Chinese medicine. That brand is easy to search on the internet.
Good luck. Take good care of yourself.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: Acupunture and "sick energy"

Congratulations on your good test and lab results. Go with that and be happy.
By the way, "sick energy" can mean many things. Maybe you are a little run down and just need a little more sleep or need to eat more healthy foods.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
MJo

I've had two acupuncturists, both who were also RNs. The most I heard form them was that my fire,water,air, earth was out of balance. I can't imagine either of them telling me I had active cancer cells.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
schoolteacher

Mary Anne,

Congratulations on your good scans. I have never had acupunture, so I can't add anything to what you were told.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Bill

Hi Harriecanarie! In my opinion, I would treat this like any other diagnosis. Get a second and third opinion, and have a few tests done, then dwell on it a little bit. But first, go draw yourself a nice hot bath, light some candles around the tub, put on a nice calming CD, and pray and reflect and then get a good night's sleep. Love, Bill
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Joe
Webmaster

I think of "sick energy" when I am up to doing devious things.

Never heard of it and wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Jean

Hi Maryanne,
While acupuncture will assist in balancing energy could it be that when you went for your treatment you were over tired or exhausted. Maybe she is picking up that imbalance and reading it as sick energy. Consider what you were doing a week prior to the treatment.

I would absolutely have a second opinion. You may even want to have your blood work checked again.
Of course have the MRI (at the very least you will have
a base line ) and you can then relax knowing you were checking on this information.

I am sure you will find that all is 100%. I am sorry that this situation put a damper on your postive and otherwise good news.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 05-04-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
SoCalGal

Harrie my friend, this is utter non-sense. I've been treated by a Chinese Medicine Doc for many years, and have never heard of such a declaration! East is supposed to meet West. Working together, oncologist plus all other healing modalities. You can tell I am more than a little fired up. I'm with Bill, get another opinion from a DOM (Dr of Oriental medicine) before you torture yourself another moment. I've used alternative practitioners for 14 years and they always disclose herbs, supplements and any and all information pertaining to my health. xo Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
harrie

Ah, thank you SO MUCh everyone. I was a bit apprehensive to put this online with worry that I might hear additional info that would make me more apprehensive.
Hearing her words was pretty close to when I first heard my dx. Terrible!! My biggest fear was maybe by some remote chance she was right on. Maybe picking up stuff before western medicine is able to. Who knows.... :-(
Steph, I have only gone to her maybe 6 times in my life. She lives in Calif and I usually go to see her when I am in town to see my onco.
I live in HI, so when I went to see her I was a little jet-lagged plus running around a bit ragged.
She has given my some "stuff" before (Chinese herbal stuff) for increased circulation or whatever.
I have minimal experiece with acupunturists and almost no knowledge of Chinese medicine. I do know that it is a very old science.
I always thought she was very professional with my best interests in mind.
My onco reaction after reading my email explaining the situation is that she bordered on being unprofessional and irresponsible. But he did ask my permission to call her to find out how she came to her conclusions.
I would never base all my health concerns on eastern medicine and I do have a fantastic oncologist. But this just threw me in the loop.
I thank you all for your input. you don't know how much it is appreciated. It makes me just that much more relaxed.
Love to you all....

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 05-04-2010 at 12:00 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
harrie

SoCalGal, when you see your Chinese med dr, are you saying that the dr will disclose to you what is actually in the herb or tea that they give you?

Re: a second opinion from another Dr of Oriental Medicine....I don't think so. I think I have had enough.
At least right now.

Also, I asked her specifically, could this "sick energy" be from anything else and she definitively said "it was from cancer cells"! Like no 2 ways about it.

She also said this happened to her before and she got this large skin rash from this woman that had this "sick energy". She said I gave her a rash too, but it was very small.

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 05-04-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Westcoastgirl

Your post made me mad. I had to say that. I think that she was way, way out of line. What the H%#$() is sick energy and how dare she say anything about cancer when there were no definitive tests done, insensitive, looking to further her income? She sees you as vulnerable and a good candidate to buy her teas is what I think. I understand how easily we can be upset. We have gone through so very much and are vulnerable for sure. It does not take much to get me back into a tailspin and fretting but this visit to the acupuncturist I would not repeat. Put her information and tea where it belongs. Sorry, but was that too blunt?
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
StephN

Dear Harrie -
Glad you are starting to discount this acupuncturist's declaration of your "sick energy." Maybe it is her OWN "sick energy" that surfaces from time to time and she blames that on her clients?

I don't care how tired or bedraggled you were, you have it together lady.

Maybe we should all seek out practicioners who have CANCER SNIFFING DOGS, as I would put more stock in the animal's ability to sense illness than that woman's "bad vibes."

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
michka

Post Re: Acupunture and "sick energy"

Harrie, it makes no sense but I can understand that such a declaration can make you really upset. Just forget it! This person is either a nut or a crook. ...and if you are still worried, don't stay like that. Consult your onc. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Jean

Now Steph has opened a good door...
Cancer sniffing dogs....man's best freind.

jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
ammebarb

Harrie, I'm inclined to agree with Westcoastgirl and Steph. My first thought was that she was becoming ill herself....and then the business about her getting a rash! Maybe she changed laundry detergent or touched poison ivy! It is so very easy for us to be concerned about recurrence, and a real shame that she would cause you a moment's additional anxiety. If repeating a scan or having labs done will reassure you, I say, "Go for it!" Otherwise, try to believe in your good appointment with your onco and breathe easy.

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
chrisy

From a totally different direction, as usual...I'd just like to say you are really fortunate to have an oncologist who wants to talk to the acupuncturist! Definitely keep THAT one on the team. not so sure I feel the same way about rash-lady
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Westcoastgirl

Great point Chrisy!! I like that onc.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
CourtneyL

Isn't that a bit unethical to not tell you exactly what is in the herbs? What if there are some serous counterindications with what you are already taking (if anything)? I know that Chinese Herbs along with western-style drugs are not widely studied and effects of combining them might not really be known, but to refuse to tell you what is in them is a huge indicator to me that this person does not have your best interest in mind. Is it some super secret patented formula or something? My herbalist/acupuncturist always writes down the exact name of the herbs that she puts in my formula. She frequently tweaks with my prescription to adjust it to whatever is going on with me health-wise. I would drop this person like a hot rock and find a new acupuncturist stat.

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote